PFF Gives some love to Hunter Luepke

T-RO

Reaction score
I absolutely want to see Hunter succeed. I'm always a sucker for the underdog story, and I endorse anything that helps the Cowboys

Now here's the reality: The Cowboys coaches are equipped with eyes and lots of analysts measuring what helps the team, and what isn't helping. Fullbacks are already a bit of a dying breed, and the dial hasn't been turning in favor of more Leupke snaps on offense.

The good news? He seems to be meriting his way to increased deployment on special teams.

Maybe in coming weeks he'll make a big splash on offense. Hope so!

HunterSnaps.jpg

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Would love to get him more snaps, especially in the red zone.
He does make more sense on a short field where his lack of speed doesn't hurt you.

Some nice film analysis of Hunter by a self reported college RB. Just looks good as short yardage back who can squeeze out yards on a crowded field.
Hunter Preseason Tape Analysis

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I absolutely want to see Hunter succeed. I'm always a sucker for the underdog story, and I endorse anything that helps the Cowboys

Now here's the reality: The Cowboys coaches are equipped with eyes and lots of analysts measuring what helps the team, and what isn't helping. Fullbacks are already a bit of a dying breed, and the dial hasn't been turning in favor of more Leupke snaps on offense.

The good news? He seems to be meriting his way to increased deployment on special teams.

Maybe in coming weeks he'll make a big splash on offense. Hope so!

HunterSnaps.jpg
Core special teamer who can be a valuable role player on offense. Already.

An UDFA win.

The ST snaps keeps him game day active so he can grow a role on offense.

Comes back next year after his first full NFL offseason with 5-10lbs more muscle and an offensive playbook he's comfortable with.

T-RO

Reaction score
Core special teamer who can be a valuable role player on offense. Already.

An UDFA win.

The ST snaps keeps him game day active so he can grow a role on offense.

Comes back next year after his first full NFL offseason with 5-10lbs more muscle and an offensive playbook he's comfortable with.
Your facts are unimpeachable. I'm on board with your vision!

Mr_437

Reaction score
With our failure to bring in veteran RBs, he's the guy I'm hoping frees Pollard from pass blocking duties and puts him more on the edge
What happened to Pollard is pass blocking? Last I checked he was good at that.
I don't think McCarthy will ever go run heavy with this team, but if he does Luepke should get some carries.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I honestly don't think all the media and fan shouting for Henry would be there if they would just run Rico and Luepke a little more, especially red zone. Don't get it. At least see if they can do it because current running game is not producing what you hoped.
Here is the problem that was brought to light awhile ago from an ex-cowboy player.

Jerry wants his money on the field. Pollard is making 10 million this year.

What are Dowdle and Leupke making?

There's your answer. Pollard is going to be on the field in the RZ

blueblood70

Reaction score
They didn't fail. They didn't want one.
Actually they did and he ended up getting himself suspended and injured so he got in the dog house and jettisoned and by the way Tony Pollard is a veteran right $10 million franchise tag I'd say that they did get they're veteran and lost one because he was a knucklehead oh again

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Echo what bbdd said above about Special Teams being Leupkes springboard for more touches, short yardage, GL, should be more involved already.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Here is the problem that was brought to light awhile ago from an ex-cowboy player.

Jerry wants his money on the field. Pollard is making 10 million this year.

What are Dowdle and Leupke making?

There's your answer. Pollard is going to be on the field in the RZ
Jerry must really suck at playing poker.

Toro9

Reaction score
Fullbacks seem a little more prevalent than they were 10 or 15 years ago. They don't get a ton of snaps but they're at least playing a role. Mike Alstott and Tom Rathman were my favorites but also Moose Johnston of course.

Creeper

Reaction score
I like to zero in on Luepke when he plays. I like having a FB in the game and I like handing off to him once in a while to keep the defense guessing.

I think Luepke is an underrated RB with the ball. He is not just s straight ahead plodder. He has a move or two and seems to have decent vision finding a hole. But at the same time, when I watch him lead blocking I think he has a lot to learn. Moose Johnson he is not, at least not yet. Still, they should give him the ball once in a while.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing about pff, they grade every player on every play and they don’t care about reputations or public opinion. It’s a measure of effort and consistency of that effort as much as anything. Good for him and us.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The WCO is pretty old school and this more classic FB is def a fit in this scheme.
It is working as well as anything at RB right now.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
One thing about pff, they grade every player on every play and they don’t care about reputations or public opinion. It’s a measure of effort and consistency of that effort as much as anything. Good for him and us.
They also factor in things like yards gained on a specific play in their grades. For example if we see a two yard run on the stat sheet we aren't impressed, but if it comes on 3rd and 1 then it's more important to PFF than it would be on first down. Or if we see Dak only completed a five yard pass, it means more if he did so on 3rd-and-4, and so on.

Personally I would love to see Luepke get some more carries as well.