PFF Gives some love to Hunter Luepke

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I absolutely want to see Hunter succeed. I'm always a sucker for the underdog story, and I endorse anything that helps the Cowboys

Now here's the reality: The Cowboys coaches are equipped with eyes and lots of analysts measuring what helps the team, and what isn't helping. Fullbacks are already a bit of a dying breed, and the dial hasn't been turning in favor of more Leupke snaps on offense.

The good news? He seems to be meriting his way to increased deployment on special teams.

Maybe in coming weeks he'll make a big splash on offense. Hope so!

HunterSnaps.jpg
Just use him correctly and give a fb a shot

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They also factor in things like yards gained on a specific play in their grades. For example if we see a two yard run on the stat sheet we aren't impressed, but if it comes on 3rd and 1 then it's more important to PFF than it would be on first down. Or if we see Dak only completed a five yard pass, it means more if he did so on 3rd-and-4, and so on.

Personally I would love to see Luepke get some more carries as well.
Yes they give context to stats. Just like an INT thrown on a Hail Mary isn’t graded the same as one in the middle of the game. If you just read the stat sheet, you wouldn’t know that INT was meaningless.

conner01

Reaction score
Core special teamer who can be a valuable role player on offense. Already.

An UDFA win.

The ST snaps keeps him game day active so he can grow a role on offense.

Comes back next year after his first full NFL offseason with 5-10lbs more muscle and an offensive playbook he's comfortable with.
As he gets better on ST he becomes more valuable. As he learns to block better he becomes more valuable. He’s a solid runner who is fairly goid in traffic for a big guy and he’s gonna get better at the other things. He also has decent hands

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I like to zero in on Luepke when he plays. I like having a FB in the game and I like handing off to him once in a while to keep the defense guessing.

I think Luepke is an underrated RB with the ball. He is not just s straight ahead plodder. He has a move or two and seems to have decent vision finding a hole. But at the same time, when I watch him lead blocking I think he has a lot to learn. Moose Johnson he is not, at least not yet. Still, they should give him the ball once in a while.
The linked tape shows a guy who can set up his blocks and the LBs as well.
He's not a plodder and not a bludgeon.
He's a guy who can find a crease. Looks like a nice short yardage back to me. Can make some tough catches too.

SexyDexy52

Reaction score
Actually they did and he ended up getting himself suspended and injured so he got in the dog house and jettisoned and by the way Tony Pollard is a veteran right $10 million franchise tag I'd say that they did get they're veteran and lost one because he was a knucklehead oh again
Who would that have been? I am unaware of who they were targeting that got suspended? Ronald Jones?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Who would that have been? I am unaware of who they were targeting that got suspended? Ronald Jones?
Yes they brought in vet ROJO and don't say he's not any good he literally led the team in rushing over fournette during the regular season during the Super bowl winning year with Tom Brady and yes fournette got hot in the playoffs but that is a veteran we did try but Tony Pollard is a veteran lot of people here wanna claim Tony power should have been running back one for a very long time over Ezekiel Elliott and guess what they would be wrong...

We tried to inform this place that Ezekiel Elliott hadn't to play against #1 defenses early in games doing all The Dirty work staying on the field for like over 60 snaps in some games where he was the decoy where he was the blocker where he went out for passes that never came when he caught passes and when he ran the ball it wears a player out... Tony power got to come in when defenses weren't sure what play he was gonna run he was fresh his legs were ready he was gonna be that guy that is usually how the change of pace back works and Tony power is a very good back but he doesn't function in this type of offense as well as he does when he had somebody like Elliot in front of him..

Many in here try to warn people I mean look at how he finished the season Tony Pollard actually had 3.8 yards per carry no touchdowns 51 yards per game and two injuries to finish last season.. And now we're just seeing a extended version of that nothing's changed they just upped his carries that's it he has to do more of The Dirty work they put the load on him and now he turned into a very average running back he's not bad but where is that explosiveness that Camara seems to still find and that Christian McCaffrey still seems to find Tony Pollard is a slightly cheap version of those two he has those skills when he's not used as much..

But yes the front office did try they gave you your wish Tony power is the running back starter RB1 they tried to bring in Rojo and they drafted some players and really our issues are more about the offensive line and Ezekiel Elliott helped cover some of that up and I don't think you guys appreciated the guy... Hopefully some of these post Ezekiel elliott's name will be put up in a little bit more appreciative light than it was when they wanted to run his *** out of here... I get he was paid too much but when people were talking about bringing him back they were saying how big a joke it would be and all that he probably would take a lot of load off of Tony Pollard still

John813

Reaction score
The guy at the liquor store next to the stadium told me they are sandbagging Luepke from getting the ball more.
The coaches know he's a 6.0ypc minimum back but they are saving the secret sauce for the 49ers in the playoffs this time.

He's been good, especially as a rookie for his small roles to date. For a guy who was never just a blocker in college he's not struggling as a lead blocker as I expected.
Hopefully, he can show the coaches that he can be more involved in the offense when Pollard needs a breather.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
He's their 3rd/10 ranked FB in the league.

Because he's ranked so high, they display their more detailed analysis on the PFF Cowboys Roster page.

Good deal for an UDFA pickup.

He's my pet cat.

With our failure to bring in veteran RBs, he's the guy I'm hoping frees Pollard from pass blocking duties and puts him more on the edge.
he is the guy i would like for the Cowboys to give more carries to. In 'my' opinion I would give him at least 10-12 carries a game.

blueblood70

Reaction score
As much as the guy flashed to too small a sample size to be judging a player you wanna know why I know the more you give a player snaps the more watered down his plays can become even though he can make a few more plays you need a good example his name is Tony Pollard doesn't look like the same guy ever since last year when they uppped carries by about 40%..

Everyone screamed from the rooftops that Tony Pollard was RB one that he should be the starter he should get more snaps and really his play is now very average he's just an average everyday running back in the NFL.. He lost his special superpowers because the coaches gave him more responsibilities now he's putting out less than Ezekiel Elliott and don't even argue Ezekiel Elliott both in 2021 and 2022 the first eight games of the season he averaged 4.8 yards per carry and he was scoring more touchdowns he was more effective in short yardage and he is a better blocker... Yes he needed to be cut because of his money but now we wish a guy like that was still here to take the pressure off Pollard so polar can be more effective...

So yes I would like to see hunter and dowdell even Malik Davis get more of The Dirty work get more of the traditional running back carries short yardage goal line and take some pressure off Tony Pollard but I wouldn't get over zealous about a PFF grade with a small sample size...