PFF Grades & Rankings After Week 6

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean schultz has had 3 times the snaps. Is blocking not as important as running a route?

In today's NFL, with the passing game taking a more prominent role in the success of teams, I think pass catching from a TE is probably more important. The fact a guy who is basically nothing more than a good blocking TE and not much of a threat in the passing game is the 24th rated TE in the league calls into question how they grade players IMO.

You put a lot of value in PFF. That's fine. But I've read enough about the flaws in their grading to not put a ton of value in what they say. I find their grades interesting but that's about it.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
You gotta wonder about pff vs. Coaches film. I saw Hill being disruptive and rewarded with more snaps each week. What PFF rates as a missed tackle our coaches who know the play likely rate as a win for him
I also saw hill get blown off the ball and crash in the wrong gaps

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
In today's NFL, with the passing game taking a more prominent role in the success of teams, I think pass catching from a TE is probably more important. The fact a guy who is basically nothing more than a good blocking TE and not much of a threat in the passing game is the 24th rated TE in the league calls into question how they grade players IMO.

You put a lot of value in PFF. That's fine. But I've read enough about the flaws in their grading to not put a ton of value in what they say. I find their grades interesting but that's about it.
That's not how the grades work. It's not based on being more impactful. It's based on how well they performed on every snap at the task they were given. How you value them is different in terms of $$ etc. You are looking at this wrong.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You gotta wonder about pff vs. Coaches film. I saw Hill being disruptive and rewarded with more snaps each week. What PFF rates as a missed tackle our coaches who know the play likely rate as a win for him
Exactly. 4 guys on line. 1 guy gets penetration and just doesn't see a back run by him.
3 other dudes getting driven 3 yards off the ball into the LBs.
When it all goes bad you better grade on a curve, lol.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's not how the grades work. It's not based on being more impactful. It's based on how well they performed on every snap at the task they were given. How you value them is different in terms of $$ etc. You are looking at this wrong.

This highlights the flaw of the system. So Bell gets a great grade because he blocks well in the few times he plays? Guess where his rating goes if say, Schultz gets hurt, and Bell has to play more? It likely craters because he'll get dinged for his flaws in the passing game. So again, I am not sure what value there is in Bell's 80 grade that is largely skewed because he plays a third of the time Schultz does and only in largely run situations? What's the value in the grade if it's really only based on the fact he's asked to do one thing but not much else from a position that requires more than just blocking?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
H_K, thank you for posting this weekly but you should know this isn't cheering us up.

And now for some of that black oily nasty looking stuff you thought was silver lining.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
This highlights the flaw of the system. So Bell gets a great grade because he blocks well in the few times he plays? Guess where his rating goes if say, Schultz gets hurt, and Bell has to play more? It likely craters because he'll get dinged for his flaws in the passing game. So again, I am not sure what value there is in Bell's 80 grade that is largely skewed because he plays a third of the time Schultz does and only in largely run situations? What's the value in the grade if it's really only based on the fact he's asked to do one thing but not much else from a position that requires more than just blocking?
Its not an end all be all system you pleb. You do have to use your brain as well. No one here is saying bell is better than schultz as an everydown TE. Neither is PFF. lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Well with this FO you never really know. This is the same FO that thought that Alan Ball was an NFL safety. Lots of blame to go around.

Oh the FO doesn't get a pass here but no one put a gun to Nolan's head and said, hey, you must start Thompson. I mean the front office went out and got Dix, you think they wanted Thompson to start over him after they just went out and got him? Of course not.

Nolan made that choice all on his own. He's a bad DC. He should be part of the very near purge.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

PFf has flaws but grading Bell higher than Schultz is not proof of it. It actually makes sense to me when you factor in how many snaps Bell gets. Bell is more of a complete tight end than Schultz.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Grades and rankings are updated after week 6. These are total grades and rankings for the year.

QB: Dak Prescott- 85.2 Grade (7th) Passing grade 80.4 (7th)
Andy Dalton- 57.4 not enough snaps for ranking

RB: Zeke- 63.0 Grade (37th)
T. Pollard- 61.1 not enough snaps to rank
R. Dowdle- 73.5 not enough snaps to rank

WR: Amari- 79.5 (12th)
MG- 63.0 (85th)
Ceedee- 70.5 (48th)
N Brown- 68.7 (53rd)
C Wilson- 78.6 not enough snaps to rank

TE: Schultz- 62.8 (39th)
B. Bell- 70.5 (24th)
S. Mckeon- 53.5 not enough snaps to rank

Center: Looney- 64.0 (26th)
Biadasz- 55.4 (30th)

Guard: Martin- 87.7 (4th)
Williams- 65.6 (29th)
Mcgovern- 60.3 not enough snaps to rank

Tackle: Tyron Smith- 67.8 (41st)
Steele- 55.8 (68th)
B. Knight- 60.2 (59th)

DT: J. Hamilton- 86.0 not enough snaps to rank
A. Woods- 55.5 (79th)
Hill- 33.6 (118th worst graded DT in the entire league)
Ty Craw- 44.3 (108th)
D. Poe- 55.1 (80th)
Gallimore- 38.0 not enough snaps to rank, but really bad

DE: A. Smith- 73.4 (19th)
DLaw- 82.4 (6th)
Griffen- 51.9 (96th)
Armstrong- 49.5 (105th)
B. Anae- 85.2 not enough snaps to rank

LB: Joe Thomas- 46.5 (58th)
Vander Esch- 49.4 not enough snaps to rank
Jaylon- 55.0 (41st)
Bernard- 67.6 not enough snaps to rank
Gifford- 60.8 not enough snaps to rank

CB: Chido- 66.9 (35th)
Worley- 53.1 (87th)
T. Diggs- 44.8 (109th)
AB- 56.0 (75th)
J Lew- 48.5 (98th)
Goodwin- 82.5 relax he only had 1 snap

Safety: X Woods- 64.6 (28th)
D. Thompson- 31.9 (83rd) Ranked worst safety in the NFL
Brandon Carr- 54.4 not enough snaps to rank
D. Wilson- 41.5 (79th)
S. Parker- 54.2 not enough snaps to rank

Side Notes:
DT's are so bad.
Joe Thomas has dropped significantly after starting the season strong
Corners & Safeties Suck
Xavier Woods came back down to earth
Andy is bad
This is a bad team. Coaches are not to blame stop it.
Zeke diving faster than a Kamikaze fighter

****Updated with Justin Hamilton
Its bad when the scab OL are grading out higher than the day 1 starters on defense

Redline360

Reaction score
Tank still riding high after that Giants game i see. Did he even play last week or was he a ghost?

So much for Gallup transitioning into a #1 WR like so many wanted