PFF Rankings: Ranking all 32 offenses ahead of the 2020 NFL season (NFCE Only)

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
3. DALLAS COWBOYS
Whether you want to admit or not, the Cowboys could very well end the 2020 campaign with the best offense in the entire NFL. In fact, they were even in the conversation for it last year, as they joined only the Ravens by ranking in the top three in both EPA per pass and rush.

Dallas made the right move by hiring Mike McCarthy and retaining Kellen Moore as the playcaller. And on top of that, the team was gifted wide receiver CeeDee Lamb at Pick 17 of the 2020 NFL Draft. Lamb was the sixth-best prospect in our eyes, and his addition gives Dallas the best receiving unit in the NFL.

Lamb forms a potent trio with Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup, who both earned top-32 receiving grades last year. And while quarterback Dak Prescott does get his fair share of criticism, he can produce at a top-tier level with the right supporting cast and playcalling, both of which he has in 2020.

17. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Carson Wentz is coming off quite a streaky year. He started the 2019 season well — significantly better than the box score suggested — earning the highest PFF grade in the NFL through the first six weeks of the season. After that, though, his grade rank fell to 25th. That has been the story of Wentz’s career, with part of the reason being his subpar accuracy.

Over the past two years, Wentz ranks 29th in the NFL in the percentage of accurate-plus passes thrown to a receiver with a step or more of separation. He’s in that tier of slightly above-average quarterbacks who can produce a top-tier season in any given year, and there is nothing wrong with that.

With the recent injuries of Alshon Jeffery (out until possibly October) and first-round rookie Jalen Reagor (will likely miss the first few weeks), the Eagles desperately need youngsters John Hightower and JJ Arcega-Whiteside to step up. Hightower was always pegged by us as a possible steal in this past draft’s loaded wide receiver class with his deep speed and route-running.

As for Arcega-Whiteside, he was one of the most disappointing rookies of last season. We loved his ball skills coming out of Stanford and had him slotted as a top-three wide receiver in his respective class, but he hardly made a dent in 2019, producing just a 53.3 receiving grade on 19 targets. The good news is that the Eagles have the sixth- and seventh-best tight ends in the NFL in Dallas Goedert and Zach Ertz to help offset the losses of Jeffery and Reagor.

26. NEW YORK GIANTS
The Giants have a solid set of skill position players. At running back, Saquon Barkley has helped them rank sixth in expected points added per rush since 2018 and is a dynamic receiver (tied for third in 15-plus yard reception in that span at 22).

Golden Tate leads the wide receiver room and fared well while playing a different role in 2019 than what we were accustomed to seeing with him in years prior. He forced significantly fewer broken tackles after the catch (20-plus in each season from 2012 to 2018, but only six in 2019), but this was due to a far lower rate of screens and an uptick in vertical routes. Tate actually produced the seventh-best receiving grade on such routes. In addition, the receiving unit has two other good options in Sterling Shepard and Darius Slayton, who both produced relatively average PFF grades above 70.0 last year.

The real key to New York finding offensive success in 2020 is for Daniel Jones to stop putting the ball in harm’s way. While Jones did have some fearless and impressive reps on tape under pressure (tied for fifth-most big-time throws under pressure with 11), he gave the opportunity for the defense to make an impactful play far too often — from forced throws to fumbles. His 5.5% turnover-worthy play rate led the rookie class by a considerable margin and was the fifth-worst mark we have seen from a rookie quarterback since 2006.

31. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM
First things first, Washington landed a gem in the third round of the 2019 NFL Draft in wide receiver Terry McLaurin. The former Ohio State Buckeye produced an impressive 86.5 receiving grade in his rookie campaign, which ranked sixth in the NFL and was the second-best mark we have ever seen from a rookie wide receiver.

McLaurin’s route-running chops are top-notch, and he can separate at an elite level downfield. The bad news is that he is the only proven skill-position threat on the roster. Dynamic rookie Antonio Gibson could very well join him in that category, but there’s not much else in the way of weapons.

Quarterback Dwayne Haskins didn’t have as bad of a rookie season in 2019 as most made it out to be, but it wasn’t anything to get jazzed about. He took exceptional care of the football, which is something most rookie quarterbacks don’t do, by producing the league’s fourth-lowest turnover-worthy play rate. However, he had poor pocket presence. One-third of his pressured dropbacks resulted in a sack, the highest rate in the NFL. Not to mention, his downfield accuracy was incredibly shaky.

Rest of the rankings: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankings-ranking-all-32-offenses-ahead-of-the-2020-nfl-season

DFWJC

Reaction score
Our offense should be bad-***.

poor Washington
:laugh:

To be fair, if Alex Smith ends up starting, I think they'll be slightly better than that.
I suspect Philly and New York will also all finish higher than their rankings.....but they're so low that's not saying much.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

poor Washington

To be fair, if Alex Smith ends up starting, I think they'll be slightly better than that.
I suspect Philly and New York will also all finish higher than their rankings.....but they're so low that's not saying much.
They already named Haskins the starter. They need to make the call on him this season.

Sydla

Reaction score

poor Washington

I really have no idea what to think of Haskins. He certainly has talent but he just seems too erratic. They also really lack weapons on offense outside of McLaurin.

I like Jones. I think the Giants offense will be better. I still have some questions about their OL.

Philly? They are banking on a lot of things. One, their OL holds up. They seem to be balking at paying Peters more, so he seems to be staying at RG for now. Their LT stinks. They also are banking on Desean Jackson staying healthy and a few rookies making impacts at WR.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think whoever protects their QB better between NYG and Philly finishes 2nd in the division.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I really have no idea what to think of Haskins. He certainly has talent but he just seems too erratic. They also really lack weapons on offense outside of McLaurin.

I like Jones. I think the Giants offense will be better. I still have some questions about their OL.

Philly? They are banking on a lot of things. One, their OL holds up. They seem to be balking at paying Peters more, so he seems to be staying at RG for now. Their LT stinks. They also are banking on Desean Jackson staying healthy and a few rookies making impacts at WR.
Yeah, Washington is worse than Dallas at literally almost every single offensive position.

Besides McLaurin, I do somewhat like their young WRs Simms (2nd year) and Gandy-Goden (rookie). And I think the rookie RB, Gibson, may have some juice.
But man, that offense is sad overall

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Was going to "like", but do I really like that?
Trevor Lawrence in Washington for the next 10+ years.....no like
Lawrence is severely overrated as a prospect and going to WAS where they have zero weapons is really best case scenario.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lawrence is severely overrated as a prospect and going to WAS where they have zero weapons is really best case scenario.

Ehh... I wouldn't go that far. Scary Terry is going to be one of the best receivers in the league this year. If not this year than next. One pick the Redskisn actually got right.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ehh... I wouldn't go that far. Scary Terry is going to be one of the best receivers in the league this year. If not this year than next. One pick the Redskisn actually got right.
Great draft pick to be sure....
He'll be productive as the only target but he isn't actually scary because that offense is going no where.
WAS offense is severely undermanned.
TM is a great start but they gotta add at every level of offense.

Going to WAS would be exactly how Trevor busts.
Lawrence has had elite WRs and OL versus bad ACC teams.
Lawrence was the second highest rated HS QB after only Vince Young of the entire modern era.
And he has immense tools.
But his issues with looking down WRs, reading only 1 half the field and making plays on the move beyond a duck and run are legit areas for development.
I didn't see any real development between years 1 and 2 but he might be about as impressive as any year 1 guy since Pat Mahomes.
His technique is good in the pocket, he's fast as heck, arm strength is plus and accuracy is acceptable if not elite.
But he is built a little like Carson Wentz and you gotta worry about taking hits for those really long QBs.
And the arm motion of a tall guy lends to an easier to read pass.
If Fields can't play Lawrence is going number 1 but it'd be to his great benefit if a team with some weapons gets him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Great draft pick to be sure....
He'll be productive as the only target but he isn't actually scary because that offense is going no where.
WAS offense is severely undermanned.
TM is a great start but they gotta add at every level of offense.

Going to WAS would be exactly how Trevor busts.
Lawrence has had elite WRs and OL versus bad ACC teams.
Lawrence was the second highest rated HS QB after only Vince Young of the entire modern era.
And he has immense tools.
But his issues with looking down WRs, reading only 1 half the field and making plays on the move beyond a duck and run are legit areas for development.
I didn't see any real development between years 1 and 2 but he might be about as impressive as any year 1 guy since Pat Mahomes.
His technique is good in the pocket, he's fast as heck, arm strength is plus and accuracy is acceptable if not elite.
But he is built a little like Carson Wentz and you gotta worry about taking hits for those really long QBs.
And the arm motion of a tall guy lends to an easier to read pass.
If Fields can't play Lawrence is going number 1 but it'd be to his great benefit if a team with some weapons gets him.
I'm not a fan of Lawrence personally. I think people get caught up in him because he looks the part. But looking the part isn't even half the battle. All these guys come in year after year as top picks just to flail out.