News: PFF Ranks Diggs the Top Corner in Press Coverage

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Everyone in unison about how much PFF sucks..

For those who like to pass time, and take this with a grain of salt like I do, enjoy...

====

Outside of Micah Parsons there is no member of the Dallas Cowboys who’s external perception changed more throughout the 2021 season than Trevon Diggs. That isn’t to say that nobody believed in Diggs, but there weren’t exactly tons of people projecting him to lead the NFL in interceptions back in June of 2021. What Diggs did last season was incredibly special, and while his interception count may dip this season, he can still certainly improve as an overall player.

One of Diggs’ biggest doubters, using that term a bit loosely, has been PFF. Given Diggs’ proclivity to take risks he has been graded a bit lower by their formula. The short story of the whole saga is that he is a bit of a risk-taker and the times he doesn’t make the play can negatively weigh down his grade in their system.

Recently, though, PFF had some rather high praise for Diggs which is nice to see.

LINK: Cowboys CB Trevon Diggs grades as best cornerback in press coverage - Blogging The Boys

Sydla

Reaction score
This is the silliness of PFF. He's their best press corner but hhis end of year grade was 59.6 (I guess based on his risk taking). According to PFF, 0-59 is a replaceable player, 60 to 69 is a backup.

So they have him basically as a backup/replaceable player but he's their best press cover guy. Hahahaha. Put faith in PFF at your own risk.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
This is the silliness of PFF. He's their best press corner but hhis end of year grade was 59.6 (I guess based on his risk taking). According to PFF, 0-59 is a replaceable player, 60 to 69 is a backup.

So they have him basically as a backup/replaceable player but he's their best press cover guy. Hahahaha. Put faith in PFF at your own risk.
Nothing is perfect. What's a better football source? Jeff Cavanaugh? Skip Bayless?

conner01

Reaction score
Nothing is perfect. What's a better football source? Jeff Cavanaugh? Skip Bayless?
I take PFF with a grain of salt. It’s information that gives you some idea of a player but certainly not a perfect indication. Statistics tell you a lot but can also be deceiving. There is no perfect way to rank players and some of that comes from the fact every CB or any other position doesn’t always have the same responsibilities
Diggs had a monster year and certainly is a top CB
But he also has some things he can improve and I felt the second half of the season he gambled in a safer manner. And he didn’t give up the big plays as much. But to lead the nfl in interceptions you have to gamble some. Gambling is important but gambling when you know there is a safety behind you or the receiver is in front of you is a safer gamble. He’s not likely to match his picks but he may actually play better this year. He’s well on his way to being a super star and a very rich man

Sydla

Reaction score

I don't expect perfect. But when their "best" press corner is also graded as a replacement level player, how can you take any analysis by PFF seriously here?

LOL, think about that. The best NFL press corner in the entire NFL, according to them, is also a borderline backup CB by their own grading system.

JBS

Reaction score
Diggs is a beast. I can understand idiots that support other teams don’t know it but there’s idiots in here that don’t know it. That’s bad.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
62cae56ba613ef93a7432dc91ed66483.jpg
I like em french fried tators and them PFF people they been pretty square dealin with me..mm-hmmm

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I don't expect perfect. But when their "best" press corner is also graded as a replacement level player, how can you take any analysis by PFF seriously here?

LOL, think about that. The best NFL press corner in the entire NFL, according to them, is also a borderline backup CB by their own grading system.
So the grading discrepancy of one player makes the whole website obsolete? Yea ok

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

Eh PFF is certainly flawed but it’s an ok tool. Diggs overal rating is so low because of his run defense since pff pretty much grades all plays equally. His coverage grade was like 45th in the league, and the difference between #25 and #50 is pretty slim.

That sounds about right to me. Solid, not elite cover guy with elite ball skills and poor run defense. When you really break down what PFF says about diggs they aren’t far off.

Sydla

Reaction score
So the grading discrepancy of one player makes the whole website obsolete? Yea ok

Well it's a completely off the charts grading discrepancy. Again, give me a solid rationale as to why their best press corner actually graded overall as one of the worst starting CBs in the NFL. We aren't talking some small anomaly here, it's a massive difference.

And it's not the only flaw. PFF has been roundly criticized by many, including actual scouts, etc. There was the classic example where a few years ago, the guy grading a Colts game gave Quenton Nelson a so-so grade and in his analysis pointed out a play where he missed a block. The Colts got wind of it and one of their scouts apparently tweeted that PFF had no idea what they were talking about and that Nelson actually did exactly what he was supposed to on that play and it was another lineman who messed up.

PFF has some value but some of you act like it's some sort of bible of player grading. I take all PFF grades with a grain of salt. This Diggs situation just further proves don't put a ton of value into what PFF is saying.

Sydla

Reaction score
Eh PFF is certainly flawed but it’s an ok tool. Diggs overal rating is so low because of his run defense since pff pretty much grades all plays equally. His coverage grade was like 45th in the league, and the difference between #25 and #50 is pretty slim.

That sounds about right to me. Solid, not elite cover guy with elite ball skills and poor run defense. When you really break down what PFF says about diggs they aren’t far off.

They literally graded him as as a replaceable/backup type CB. That's what a grade of 59.6 is on their OWN grading description scale.

But he's also their best press cover? In other words, the best press cover in the entire NFL according to them is actually not even an average CB overall. In fact, his overall grade suggests he's no better than some JAG off the street.

How does that even jive? LOL. It doesn't.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They literally graded him as as a replaceable/backup type CB. That's what a grade of 59.6 is on their OWN grading description scale.

But he's also their best press cover? In other words, the best press cover in the entire NFL according to them is actually not even an average CB overall. In fact, his overall grade suggests he's no better than some JAG off the street.

How does that even jive? LOL. It doesn't.

Well, if he's a 99 in press coverage and 0 in off-coverage, that would make him a 50. ;)