News: PFF Ranks Diggs the Top Corner in Press Coverage

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This is the silliness of PFF. He's their best press corner but hhis end of year grade was 59.6 (I guess based on his risk taking). According to PFF, 0-59 is a replaceable player, 60 to 69 is a backup.

So they have him basically as a backup/replaceable player but he's their best press cover guy. Hahahaha. Put faith in PFF at your own risk.

Diggs is an odd duck and would test any football metric. He has upsides and downsides, high on both ends.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Diggs is an odd duck and would test any football metric. He has upsides and downsides, high on both ends.

Right.

And it's like some of us are saying.

People are getting worked up about PFF. But it's because they put too much emphasis on it, not because those who read it do. I also simply take PFF with a grain of salt.

Diggs is a beast. I'll draft that guy round 2 any draft, any year. He's exactly the kind of player who gets you to Super Bowls and could very well help you win one. His PFF grade isn't fooling me. It's a flawed metric. OK, point made. Now let's move on.(Not you, per se.)

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I can’t wait to Stephen low balls Diggs next offseason by using PFF metrics.:laugh::facepalm:

quickccc

Reaction score
Didn't PFF have Diggs at bottom tier CBs last year ? ....... and now he's jumped-hopped to No.2 ?

and get this ... Anthony Brown is also in the top 10 overall with all of the better CBs ?

Someone inside PFF really loves the Cowboys, eh ? .....Free season tickets and visitor suite ?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Didn't PFF have Diggs at bottom tier CBs last year ? ....... and now he's jumped-hopped to No.2 ?

and get this ... Anthony Brown is also in the top 10 overall with all of the better CBs ?

Someone inside PFF really loves the Cowboys, eh ? .....Free season tickets and visitor suite ?
Eh that's not really true. PFF did score Diggs very low last season, but that's mostly because his run defense grade was extremely low. His coverage grade was about league average. The #2 ranking is even more specialized as it's only talking about press coverage.

Anthony Brown was the PFF #40 CB last year overall. Whatever top 10 list you are talking about is probably another specific stat category.

PFF last season gave Diggs a 65, Brown a 67 as far as overall coverage grades. For reference the top grade was an 85, the 30th ranked CB was ranked a 69. With a margin of error thrown in there that sounds about right. Brown is a solid cover corner that doesn't offer much else. Diggs is the more talented player, but plays a lot more aggressive resulting in more big plays for both the good and the bad.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
They literally graded him as as a replaceable/backup type CB. That's what a grade of 59.6 is on their OWN grading description scale.

But he's also their best press cover? In other words, the best press cover in the entire NFL according to them is actually not even an average CB overall. In fact, his overall grade suggests he's no better than some JAG off the street.

How does that even jive? LOL. It doesn't.
I mean I get what you're saying, but PFF is just sharing the basic data they collect in their rankings, they aren't customizing it to fit every players profile. Then once you dig into the deeper metrics they offer it starts to tell the whole story.

Do I really care that my #1 CB who just had 10+ interceptions a year ago is weak against the run? It's pretty far down my list of concerns. Do I still appreciate PFF not changing their formula and letting the public see the flaws? Absolutely.

All the information is there, but yes when you only look at it from the surface level it's easy to pick out the flaws in the PFF grading scale. It's one tool of many that need to be used, and with how they score we probably even need to factor in a margin of error for these grades as well. I think it's important to remember that PFF isnt a scouting company, it's a data company. They share that data at various levels, and it's up to the user to decide what to do with it.

Ken

Reaction score
Everyone in unison about how much PFF sucks..

For those who like to pass time, and take this with a grain of salt like I do, enjoy...

====

Outside of Micah Parsons there is no member of the Dallas Cowboys who’s external perception changed more throughout the 2021 season than Trevon Diggs. That isn’t to say that nobody believed in Diggs, but there weren’t exactly tons of people projecting him to lead the NFL in interceptions back in June of 2021. What Diggs did last season was incredibly special, and while his interception count may dip this season, he can still certainly improve as an overall player.

One of Diggs’ biggest doubters, using that term a bit loosely, has been PFF. Given Diggs’ proclivity to take risks he has been graded a bit lower by their formula. The short story of the whole saga is that he is a bit of a risk-taker and the times he doesn’t make the play can negatively weigh down his grade in their system.

Recently, though, PFF had some rather high praise for Diggs which is nice to see.

LINK: Cowboys CB Trevon Diggs grades as best cornerback in press coverage - Blogging The Boys
For the record, I thought he would have the most int's last year since Everson.....said it in the preseason.

Didn't expect him to tie him though lol

At least PFF gets something right, he was outstanding in press coverage. I just can't stand the bs about yards given up....ridiculous.

quickccc

Reaction score
Eh that's not really true. PFF did score Diggs very low last season, but that's mostly because his run defense grade was extremely low. His coverage grade was about league average. The #2 ranking is even more specialized as it's only talking about press coverage.

Anthony Brown was the PFF #40 CB last year overall. Whatever top 10 list you are talking about is probably another specific stat category.

PFF last season gave Diggs a 65, Brown a 67 as far as overall coverage grades. For reference the top grade was an 85, the 30th ranked CB was ranked a 69. With a margin of error thrown in there that sounds about right. Brown is a solid cover corner that doesn't offer much else. Diggs is the more talented player, but plays a lot more aggressive resulting in more big plays for both the good and the bad.

Ah, so If you’re gonna grade a coverage CB based off “ run defense” … then that’s all the more reason, that lets me know how derailing PFF scoring grades can be misleading
and need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Frankly I’m going with what I’ve always said to trust first and foremost., be your own eye ball test.
For some that can’t feel they can trust their own eye ball judgment and have to relate to PFF, then they probably don’t have a choice.

As far as Brown, I feel we got away with having him on the flank, considering the number of games he was starting.
Also, we would not be drafting CBs high in the draft, ala Joseph, Wright, if we felt fully secured about Brown as a continuing starter.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Ah, so If you’re gonna grade a coverage CB based off “ run defense” … then that’s all the more reason, that lets me know how derailing PFF scoring grades can be misleading

Frankly I’m going with what I’ve always said to trust first and foremost., be your own eye ball test.
For some that can’t feel they can trust their own eye ball judgment and have to relate to PFF, then they probably don’t have a choice.

As far as Brown, I feel we got away with having him on the flank, considering the number of games he was starting.
Also, we would not be drafting CBs high in the draft, ala Joseph, Wright, if we felt fully secured about Brown as a continuing starter.

I mean I get what you are saying about PFF, but you're only looking at the surface data. What they do is a simple +/- rating on each play for each player with all plays being equal. The deeper metrics can be pretty cool though. That's what they are is a data company. They aren't here to replace scouts. It's a tool to use, nothing more than that, but it's a decent one when used with context. Just looking at the overall rankings through PFF is like putting in deck screws using a hammer. They'll get in there, but not very well.

As far as Brown goes I have to disagree. The guy was actually pretty good last year for a #2 corner. Nothing great, but solid for most games. Hes a free agent after this season, about to turn 30, and we are in a league where you need 3-4 dependable corners. I completely understand why the Cowboys used high picks at the position in 20 & 21. If Brown can get passed on the depth chart and move to a slot DB role that's even better news. I'm skeptical that happens this year though.

Sydla

Reaction score

Bingo.

But it's funny how defensive some are over PFF. It should always be taken with a grain of salt. Again, it's illogical that they'd grade Diggs the best press corner in the entire NFL but then his overall grade is that of a guy who should barely be in the NFL. LOL.

There's some value in PFF but it's pretty limited.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Bingo.

But it's funny how defensive some are over PFF. It should always be taken with a grain of salt. Again, it's illogical that they'd grade Diggs the best press corner in the entire NFL but then his overall grade is that of a guy who should barely be in the NFL. LOL.

There's some value in PFF but it's pretty limited.
Build something better.

Sydla

Reaction score
Build something better.

Why do I need to?

And let's be honest. PFF has long been criticized by many, including NFL people, over their inconsistencies, etc. So this isn't a few fans just pointing out the flaws.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is insane for PFF to proclaim him the best after grading him so poorly last year. According to their grading system, he ranked 80th at his position last year. Now he's the best press cb? :huh:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do I need to?

And let's be honest. PFF has long been criticized by many, including NFL people, over their inconsistencies, etc. So this isn't a few fans just pointing out the flaws.

I went back and forth via email with PFF over their grading of Diggs last year. What it boils down to is that they don't weight plays enough. Every play has the same -2 to +2 potential and thats it. So, if Diggs gets a drive killing INT, he gets a grade of +2 for that play. Thats it. Its just one play among 50. He misses a tackle the next series and it cancels out the INT. Thats just not how football works.

So, there are players who fall through their grading system cracks. Diggs is one of the more obvious examples in recent years where his impact on games is not being fairly graded.

Sydla

Reaction score
Why? They are literally just sharing charting data.

The "data" is the issue that has come under scrutiny from many. It's largely subjective and has been shown to have some real issues as at times, the people grading might not know what they are looking at. There has been a lot of criticism over their OL grades, including from TJ Lang (who typically gets good grades from PFF). He said he reviewed some of the game tape on guys PFF graded and it was clear the guy doing the grading didn't understand the blocking responsibilities of the OL.

Put it another way........... if the data shows that Diggs is the best press cover in the NFL but then more of the data also shows that Diggs isn't any better, overall, than a guy off the street at CB, don't you think to yourself, "hold on, something ain't right with the data........."

quickccc

Reaction score
I mean I get what you are saying about PFF, but you're only looking at the surface data. What they do is a simple +/- rating on each play for each player with all plays being equal. The deeper metrics can be pretty cool though. That's what they are is a data company. They aren't here to replace scouts. It's a tool to use, nothing more than that, but it's a decent one when used with context. Just looking at the overall rankings through PFF is like putting in deck screws using a hammer. They'll get in there, but not very well.

As far as Brown goes I have to disagree. The guy was actually pretty good last year for a #2 corner. Nothing great, but solid for most games. Hes a free agent after this season, about to turn 30, and we are in a league where you need 3-4 dependable corners. I completely understand why the Cowboys used high picks at the position in 20 & 21. If Brown can get passed on the depth chart and move to a slot DB role that's even better news. I'm skeptical that happens this year though.

- For Brown to be demoted to the slot role, a new comer would have to emerge and seize the No.2 starting ole from him.
You’re seeing Brown as solid, while I saw him as decent enough to get by until we find better.
At some point he was able to hold up and we were able to get away with him being serviceable enuff.

And I still see instances where he’s still not turning his head in bump n run coverage -ala Raiders, Bucs games, and luckily he got away with some plays
where he should’ve been called for PI or use of hands. ala Chargers game.

- I still think he does his best work when he can face the QB, and keep the WR in front of him with off the line. I think Quinn and Witt Jr/Harris had to have
a huge turn in schematics and coverage shells.

- If Joseph didn’t have his issues, I’d be sure that the Cowboys would want him seizing that No.2 role. But alas I’m still having my doubts.
With stats and data, they can be misleading in some senses. i.e a team is number #1 or #2 vs the pass, ..but you read into it, and found out
yet they are dead last in run defense. Why pass as such, when you’re so very easily to run against ?

Haimerej

Reaction score
I went back and forth via email with PFF over their grading of Diggs last year. What it boils down to is that they don't weight plays enough. Every play has the same -2 to +2 potential and thats it. So, if Diggs gets a drive killing INT, he gets a grade of +2 for that play. Thats it. Its just one play among 50. He misses a tackle the next series and it cancels out the INT. Thats just not how football works.

So, there are players who fall through their grading system cracks. Diggs is one of the more obvious examples in recent years where his impact on games is not being fairly graded.

Makes it sound like high PFF grades are more about consistency than anything.

Carson

Reaction score
How many scores he allowed and how many turnovers he had are what matter. 2 pick 6's help too. 11 Ints is significant.
You take the good with the bad. But he had at least 2-3 where if he had even average safety play, the receiver doesn’t score … first one that comes to mind is New England