PFF Run-blocking grades for Cowboys Starting Five

T-RO

Reaction score
Tyron Smith, 90.5 (2021 grade)
Tyler Smith, 72.4
Tyler Biadasz, 59.6
Zack Martin, 64.8 (2021 grade: 92.8)
Terence Steele, 82.1

I fully expect, if this group stays healthy, they should absolutely maul...a top 3 road grader group in the NFL.

Few thoughts:
-Health will of course be a question with Tyron, but at 32 he can still maul when playing his natural position, LT
-Steele is a complete monster in run blocking
-Martin is on the back half of his career, but is certainly above average
-Yes, Tyler Smith will be playing a different position, but he'll have a year of experience. Guy has supreme power and athleticism to pull, do damage @2nd level

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to this upcoming 2023 season when it comes to our Oline, especially with new Oline coach, Mike Solari, in charge. If our starting Front 5 stay healthy, this Oline should be good. Looks like our Cowboys will have decent backups as well. This Offense will go as our Oline goes.

T-RO

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to this upcoming 2023 season when it comes to our Oline, especially with new Oline coach, Mike Solari, in charge.

I can't think of one reason to say Solari is better--or worse--than Philbin.

Let's not forget: Solari was fired in February of '22 and didn't get a job for the 2022 season. Is he really all that? Don't know. Why was Philbin fired? Don't know.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to this upcoming 2023 season when it comes to our Oline, especially with new Oline coach, Mike Solari, in charge. If our starting Front 5 stay healthy, this Oline should be good. Looks like our Cowboys will have decent backups as well. This Offense will go as our Oline goes.
Me, I still want a good power runner and a strong linebacker....kicker? bicker

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Tyler Smith, 72.4
Tyler Biadasz, 59.6
Terence Steele, 82.1

I fully expect, if this group stays healthy, they should absolutely maul...a top 3 road grader group in the NFL.

Few thoughts:
-Health will of course be a question with Tyron, but at 32 he can still maul when playing his natural position, LT
-Yes, Tyler Smith will be playing a different position, but he'll have a year of experience. Guy has supreme power and athleticism to pull, do damage @2nd level
I do think that will be our starting five. I don't know what we will do when Tyron inevitably has to miss games because of injury. Hopefully a good option will emerge among Waletzko (who would play LT, allowing us to leave Tyler at LG), Edoga, Farniok, Richards, Ball and Bass. I'm a little concerned because we don't have a sure-fire quality replacement in that group, but feel OK about going into the preseason letting them duke it out (and if it's not looking good, seeing if Peters wants to return for another year).

T-RO

Reaction score
I do think that will be our starting five. I don't know what we will do when Tyron inevitably has to miss games because of injury. Hopefully a good option will emerge among Waletzko (who would play LT, allowing us to leave Tyler at LG), Edoga, Farniok, Richards, Ball and Bass. I'm a little concerned because we don't have a sure-fire quality replacement in that group, but feel OK about going into the preseason letting them duke it out (and if it's not looking good, seeing if Peters wants to return for another year).
Waletzko's mettle is one of the things I'm most curious about for the '23 season.

-He's such a tall guy with insanely long arms. 6'8" tall. 35" arms. Moves great. Insanely great RAS.
-Did I mention how high-tier those athletic marks are?
-But with all torque on those limbs...can he stay healthy?
-Dallas seemed eager to push him to play, despite his bum shoulder. Am I mistaken thinking they were already high on him?
-Can he add enough strength and mass?
-Is he a smart kid who will master the craft?
-Uh...Did I mention how ideal his length is...and how high-tier those athletic marks are?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Waletzko's mettle is one of the things I'm most curious about for the '23 season.

-He's such a tall guy with insanely long arms. 6'8" tall. 35" arms. Moves great. Insanely great RAS.
-Did I mention how high-tier those athletic marks are?
-But with all torque on those limbs...can he stay healthy?
-Dallas seemed eager to push him to play, despite his bum shoulder. Am I mistaken thinking they were already high on him?
-Can he add enough strength and mass?
-Is he a smart kid who will master the craft?
-Uh...Did I mention how ideal his length is...and how high-tier those athletic marks are?
:) We're all ready to see an aggressive tackle into the mix.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I can't think of one reason to say Solari is better--or worse--than Philbin.

Let's not forget: Solari was fired in February of '22 and didn't get a job for the 2022 season. Is he really all that? Don't know. Why was Philbin fired? Don't know.
I think Philben was better than a lot of fans thought the last couple of years. But Solari has been considered up there with Callahan as an OL coach. Philben was a man system coach. Solari has mixed in a lot of outside and inside zone to his scheme. He's also the guy they tried to get after the Paul Alexander fiasco but he chose Seattle instead to work with Brian Schottenheimer. The OL was at it's best when Callahan was coaching the OL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyler Smith, 72.4
Tyler Biadasz, 59.6
Terence Steele, 82.1

Few thoughts:
I just hope that is the actual starting five and they’re in their natural positions.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Cowboys would have been a dominant run blocking team last year with perfect health.

The problem is they do not even have perfect health right now so we have to get into TC and see what it all looks like and hope for the best...

The only real note is that Martin finally got dinged enough to be less than superb.
A return to excellence should probably be expected for him.
But Tyron being great for 13 or more games is likely a pipedream.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys would have been a dominant run blocking team last year with perfect health.

The problem is they do not even have perfect health right now so we have to get into TC and see what it all looks like and hope for the best...

The only real note is that Martin finally got dinged enough to be less than superb.
A return to excellence should probably be expected for him.
But Tyron being great for 13 or more games is likely a pipedream.
The team already is committed to a player's business decision concerning Tyron Smith...trying to extend his career to benefit the Cowboys into and through the playoffs for this season. I'm pretty sure this will be it for our star.

God bless our star.

CoachD

Reaction score
Tyler Smith, 72.4
Tyler Biadasz, 59.6
Terence Steele, 82.1

Few thoughts:
This is actually a weak link of the Cowboys not because they're not good players but because what makes them a weak link is their injury history and the likelihood of being injured again.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The change of technique should benefit all of them