PFF top 10 LBer units entering 2021 (Cowboys 6)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sorry but this is way high....we have two ineffective starters, both due to injury concerns and a rookie, albeit a very highly ranked one.

We will be improved but this just seems way to optimistic until we see some play
Its not that the Cowboys unit is great....its that the linebackers in the NFL just don't grade out well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What a bit disturbing is at LVE has injuries as an excuse but Jaylon was healthy. We know some of it was coaching but still Jaylon had a chance to step up big-time and fail. Remember Stephen Jones said although LVE's 5th-year option was declined, they still think he has a long-term future with the Cowboys. Translate........Jaylon and LVE both will not be on this team after 2021. I'm guessing the FO is hoping LVE can prove worthy of an extension.

were both poor in 2020, with neither earning an overall PFF grade above 55.0 and injuries also being a factor. Each player has a previous season with an 84.0-plus
LVE doesn't have injuries. HE stunk even when healthy. THat's the only reason people are even holding out hope for Jaylon. The whole linebacker group was bad. So is it that they are all bad or were they all poorly coached?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LVE doesn't have injuries. HE stunk even when healthy. THat's the only reason people are even holding out hope for Jaylon. The whole linebacker group was bad. So is it that they are all bad or were they all poorly coached?

I agree his play was average at best but I'm not sure he was ever totally healthy last year.

March 26, 2021 03:48 PM
Cowboys' Leighton Vander Esch: Recovered from ankle injury
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Vander Esch no longer has an injury designation, David Helman of the team's official site reports.

After spending a handful of games in 2020 on the sidelines due to various injuries, Vander Esch is good to go for the upcoming year. In his 10 matchups during last season, the linebacker recorded 60 tackles (32 solo), one sack and one forced fumble. When healthy, Vander Esch flashed promise, posting a career high in tackles in 2019 (140) and seven pass breakups through 16 games.

January 17, 2021 11:44 AM
Cowboys' Leighton Vander Esch: Battles through injuries again
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Vander Esch recorded 60 tackles (32 solo) while adding a sack and a forced fumble over 10 games in 2020.

The linebacker once again couldn't stay healthy, suffering a broken collarbone in Week 1 and then missing the final two games of the year with an ankle injury, but Vander Esch also wasn't as productive when he was on the field, and he only managed two games with double-digit tackles as his snap count was often limited. The Cowboys are bringing in a new defensive coordinator in Dan Quinn, which should help the unit's performance as a whole, but if LVE can't avoid landing on IR a couple times a year, a better scheme won't be enough for him to regain his 2018 form

Jipper

Reaction score
Well I guess I’m just jaded by all the negativity here.

I hear you and totally understand.

the issue is so many times people just jump on everything as negative for no reason because they are self loathing fans. For many, jerry can’t do anything right , no coach here is the right coach, we can’t draft, dak is terrible

On and on and on.....it makes it difficult to distinguish from those that are positive but trying to temper expectations vs those that see a glass ceiling on everything

there’s also the flip side where no matter what we are going to be a super bowl contender every year..

there has to be a healthy balance of positivity, optimism, realism and analysis based on trends and data....otherwise it just turns into one opinion vs the next from an emotional pov

keep the positivity going and don’t let anyone stop you but remember positivity comes in a variety of forms

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Its not that the Cowboys unit is great....its that the linebackers in the NFL just don't grade out well.
To a degree, but as always history always repeats itself,, if you dont have LBs that can run than you are sunk,, and we were pretty much sunk, now all of a sudden there is some hope.
Much more than just hope,, there will be some positional changes in this camp from the marginals figuring out quickly how to stick around.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
“Just a realist “ The rallying mantra for haters. :lmao:
Well, he is an Eagles fan. He’s going to look at every Cowboy’s subject from the negative angle… and after last year’s defense, it is easy to find a negative angle for the LB’s.

The truth is, PFF absolutely ranks Parsons as a very rare player and they expect him to have a huge influence on how the unit performs. They also take into account how well both Smith and LVE played before and expect them to improve from what was a terrible season for the entire defense.

Parsons is good enough to lift the unit almost by himself. Of course a Philly fan isn’t going to buy that until they see it.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Some rookies who’ve never stepped on an NFL field will escalate them that much? Maybe by 2023, but in 2021? 21 teams who also thought they got better just got leapfrogged

If those 21 teams can get better, so can we. Not only that, but those other teams didn't draft LB M. Parsons, we did. We had a good draft, and we have a new DC that can't help but be better than last year's DC. We won't be a SB team, but we WILL be a better football team this year.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well, he is an Eagles fan. He’s going to look at every Cowboy’s subject from the negative angle… and after last year’s defense, it is easy to find a negative angle for the LB’s.

The truth is, PFF absolutely ranks Parsons as a very rare player and they expect him to have a huge influence on how the unit performs. They also take into account how well both Smith and LVE played before and expect them to improve from what was a terrible season for the entire defense.

Parsons is good enough to lift the unit almost by himself. Of course a Philly fan isn’t going to buy that until they see it.
Amen, bro.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Parsons is a transitional LBer in an era that has been a bit void,,, some good ones being drafted recent like Queen, Bush, White,, etc feel free to add.
Parsons brings so much more to the table, I know its early, but some people are looking at Spears when we drafted Ware with this pick,,,
Parsons,, this dude is going to be loved by even @JoeKing and he said in this house that he would change his opinion of him and eat his words.. I even gave him to week 8 to live up to it... Im such a nice guy.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I suggest you root for the Commanders. Which you obviously do.
He would root for the Skins when they play the Cowboys...
Most fans outside our house hate the Cowboys and root for any one that plays against the Cowboys.
Thats why we are Americas team and everyone can kiss it.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Well as true and obvious as that is here is a bit of a story,, just sharing cause I get you..
Daniel Snyder named the WFT to slap Goodell and all the PC

you think it was to go against Goodell? How so?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
you think it was to go against Goodell? How so?
I dont know man, but would you think it to be anything less from a billionaire baby like Snyder, I actually had some respect for the man for the first time ,, but it was very brief,, but showed some cockiness for once in his life...