News: PFT: 49ers surprised to get a fourth-rounder for Trey Lance

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I guess Jerry overpaid a bit in terms of the trade, but to him it is probably worth all the media attention and fan buzz this move created.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
I guess Jerry overpaid a bit in terms of the trade, but to him it is probably worth all the media attention and fan buzz this move created.

Dianna Russini
@DMRussini

The Buffalo Bills and the Baltimore Ravens are two teams that had conversations with San Francisco about a possible trade for Trey Lance. In the NFC, the Detroit Lions also showed interest, per sources. Most of the early discussions about a trade involved a 6th rounder that could get to a 5th. In the end, the Dallas Cowboys offered the best deal.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Shows just how badly they wanted this trade, but why?????? Jerry said his preference is that Lance not see the field this year. So they would like to see him sit and learn for a year and compete for Cooper's backup position? Maybe so, maybe not..........but a 4th round is a lot for a player you wanna redshirt one year and use as a backup in the final year of his contract. I have a sneaky suspicion they have something else in mind.

Remember MM spent one year with Rogers on the bench before moving on from Brett Favre. I'm certainly not saying they wanna move on from Dak but this gives them options in case there are issues with Dak and France over his value.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not that hard to get a 4 back through a trade down next year. The potential upside is well worth it. If he's a complete bust, he'll just be added to the list of 4th players that didn't pan out.. but what if he meets his potential, that athletically are just unlimited. Well worth the flier.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Shows just how badly they wanted this trade, but why?????? Jerry said his preference is that Lance not see the field this year. So they would like to see him sit and learn for a year and compete for Cooper's backup position? Maybe so, maybe not..........but a 4th round is a lot for a player you wanna redshirt one year and use as a backup in the final year of his contract. I have a sneaky suspicion they have something else in mind.

Remember MM spent one year with Rogers on the bench before moving on from Brett Favre. I'm certainly not saying they wanna move on from Dak but this gives them options in case there are issues with Dak and France over his value.
I hope Jerry moves on from Dak and forces his secretly traded for new overpaid project to try to accomplish what Dak has. It's going to be truly eye opening once and for all.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His last shot before having to pull the trigger on a real QB next spring

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
BTW another factor that makes me hopeful on this move is I think Shanahan is a bit of a QB killer. His relationshio with Garapolo who took them to a superbowl was horrible too. He is a fantastic offensive mind but he might not be the right coach for every qb. The rainbow and lollipops culture in Dallas may be just what Lance needs to thrive.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I hope Jerry moves on from Dak and forces his secretly traded for new overpaid project to try to accomplish what Dak has. It's going to be truly eye opening once and for all.
So Lance would have to accomplish going 2-4 in the playoffs and never reach an NFCCG or Super Bowl in 7 years of play???.....got it.

Ekspozed

Reaction score

It's really not that hard to understand.

He wanted this trade badly because we havnt had talent at the qb position in a while.

A 23 yr old top 5 pick to develop and not rush because we have our starter.

Or we can just keep having guys like Cooper Rush who won't net us anything in a trade or be anything more than a backup.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I read that Buffalo & Baltimore were offering conditional 5ths that would likely be only 6ths. The 49ers did prefer to send him to the AFC but since the Cowboys offered a 4th they did the deal.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Did you see the Raiders 4th round QB? That was a guy that the Cowboys were interested in. Lance has way better upside than that guy.

Jipper

Reaction score
I read that Buffalo & Baltimore were offering conditional 5ths that would likely be only 6ths. The 49ers did prefer to send him to the AFC but since the Cowboys offered a 4th they did the deal.
A late 4th is not a lot for the potential we ended up with...sure would have been nice to be a lower pick but not a big deal

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
It's really not that hard to understand.

He wanted this trade badly because we havnt had talent at the qb position in a while.

A 23 yr old top 5 pick to develop and not rush because we have our starter.

Or we can just keep having guys like Cooper Rush who won't net us anything in a trade or be anything more than a backup.
We still don't. Lance isn't even as good as Cooper Rush right now. And the 49ers goofed big time when they drafted Lance that high. They realized it and got what they could for him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If teams who are projected to have the same record as us or worse than yeah you have to trade a 4th if teams are willing to give up a 5th.

This is damage control. There’s no way they are shocked they got a 4th for a 3rd overall pick from a few years ago.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

The only problem is he's just not that good. Definitely no Aaron Rogers.

I think Grier's performance probably made them second guess themselves a little bit.

I think the 9ers pulled the wool on this trade. The fact McCarthy and the coaching staff didn't have any input says a lot.

If.you think Dak threw a lot of interceptions, wait until you see Lance.

Watch Grier end up in Frisco...

I'm also not going to under estimate Cooper Rush again. People can say what they want but he commands the team well.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The biggest takeaway for me is that the 49ers are happy for Lance, that he's getting a chance to compete. That tells me they like the kid, despite the fact he cost them a lot.