News: PFT: 49ers surprised to get a fourth-rounder for Trey Lance

Ekspozed

Reaction score
We still don't. Lance isn't even as good as Cooper Rush right now. And the 49ers goofed big time when they drafted Lance that high. They realized it and got what they could for him.
He never really got a chance. He has thrown less than 500 passes since hs. He is a physical specimen in which they hope they can mold. Obviously he's not better than rush right now that's why rush is still qb2.
The hope is they can develop him. If not it only costed a 4th in a draft a year away.
Lance immediately has the most mobility and arm talent on the team.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The only problem is he's just not that good. Definitely no Aaron Rogers.

I think Grier's performance probably made them second guess themselves a little bit.

I think the 9ers pulled the wool on this trade. The fact McCarthy and the coaching staff didn't have any input says a lot.

If.you think Dak threw a lot of interceptions, wait until you see Lance.

Watch Grier end up in Frisco...

I'm also not going to under estimate Cooper Rush . again. People can say what they want but he commands the team well.
Grier's performance was against a team of soon to be cuts by Tuesday. Based upon pre season we should have traded for Josh Johnson. Not you, I or anybody have any clue what Lance is or will be and that is all that we can say at this time

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Cowboys currently do not have a 2024 5th or 6th round pick because of trades. So if you wanted Lance, it had to be a 4th.
Good point! Their 6th round pick next year is part of the trade for Brandin Cooks, and they traded their 5th round pick for Eric Scott.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
BTW another factor that makes me hopeful on this move is I think Shanahan is a bit of a QB killer. His relationshio with Garapolo who took them to a superbowl was horrible too. He is a fantastic offensive mind but he might not be the right coach for every qb. The rainbow and lollipops culture in Dallas may be just what Lance needs to thrive.
A QB killer? He just took a 7th round QB and made it to NFCCG. This after getting to the Super Bowl with Jimmy G. He's clearly not a QB killer.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A QB killer? He just took a 7th round QB and made it to NFCCG. This after getting to the Super Bowl with Jimmy G. He's clearly not a QB killer.
Yup. After running 1 and now 2 qbs out of town. Because he found one guy that he can work with him doesn't make him a qb whisperer.

kevm3

Reaction score
Did you see the Raiders 4th round QB? That was a guy that the Cowboys were interested in. Lance has way better upside than that guy.
I did notice people were a lot quieter about the O' Connell rueing after last night's game. If we gave up a 1st to a 3rd for Trey Lance, I could potentially see why people are going ballistic, but a 4th for someone you could develop, I don't see the issue.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I hope Jerry moves on from Dak and forces his secretly traded for new overpaid project to try to accomplish what Dak has. It's going to be truly eye opening once and for all.

Next year we'll have Lance and Vaughn starting for us. Should be good for a laugh. Jerry has taken a borderline line super bowl contending team and turned it into a pr circus.