PFT: Apple the "most likely" winner of Sunday ticket at possibly $3 billion

plymkr

Reaction score
I’d love to have the capability to rent single games on Apple TV. I’d gladly pay a few bucks to watch the Cowboys once a week, and not have to mess with shelling out hundreds of dollars to get a bunch of games I’m not able to watch anyway, like how DirecTV has been doing it for years.
Yes, that would be ideal and I'm hoping for the same thing

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK Jerry be a rebel stream the cowboys yourself
Cowboy TV!
On a serious note after 20 something years of threatening to cancel my directv I can finally tell them to stuff it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they show live sports they'll get some type of ad content during games.
Likely a mix of pimping their own shows and products as well as other stuff that has deal with apple already.
But his point is very valid. They do not need to make to the cent on subscriptions to break even or make money.
The content will help push other content and drive to subscriptions to non-NFL fans.
That is only if they are generating the live sports unless they get the local ad space provided to the markets where the game is originally broadcast.

Amazon is already set up for generating revenue like that; Apple is not. This is a hail Mary for Apple because they are losing the content wars with the streamers. If Amazon is not willing to meet that bid and already has a tie to the NFL, Apple is in a losing situation. 2M subscribers X 400 = 800M against a 3B investment. They are not going to come close to 2.2B in ad sales if they had all of the inventory.

Apple is trying to level a playing field that they are not playing well on, If I were on a streaming budget, they'd be the first casualty. And I liked the first seasons of The Morning Show, For All Mankind and Ted Lasso. The second seasons? Not even close.

Adreme

Reaction score
At $300 per year, they need 10M subscribers just to break even.

Realistically I think they would use it as a "loss leader" and hope that it can get people onto their platform and invested in other things. Similar to how Amazon used Prime to get recognition while making huge money on AWS.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Realistically I think they would use it as a "loss leader" and hope that it can get people onto their platform and invested in other things. Similar to how Amazon used Prime to get recognition while making huge money on AWS.
Has to be because they are not winning the streaming battle against Amazon, Netflix or Disney and Hulu, Peacock and Paramount are not going away and the latter two have a lot of content.

I have yet to watch any first season of anything on Apple that doesn't drop significantly in the second season. Doesn't help that I fell out of love with Apple after the Homepod, Earbuds and iPad. And I used to brag about their customer service. Cook is a pimp.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
I've been able to watch any NFL game and Red Zone using various online "sources". But, I don't mind paying if I it's reasonable. The good news is Apple TV is monthly so you only need to subscribe for the months during the season.

zerofill

Reaction score
As a developer... nothing like letting Apple have it. The company that consistently takes open source projects, adds them to their own ****, and closes the source.
The company that thinks their way is the perfect way. The perceived value, and the cult following. I hate that company more than Microsoft and Google.
Apple the company that for years sold their hardware for > 4000% mark up.

...and Arch Linux > macOS, Windows

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That is only if they are generating the live sports unless they get the local ad space provided to the markets where the game is originally broadcast.

Amazon is already set up for generating revenue like that; Apple is not. This is a hail Mary for Apple because they are losing the content wars with the streamers. If Amazon is not willing to meet that bid and already has a tie to the NFL, Apple is in a losing situation. 2M subscribers X 400 = 800M against a 3B investment. They are not going to come close to 2.2B in ad sales if they had all of the inventory.

Apple is trying to level a playing field that they are not playing well on, If I were on a streaming budget, they'd be the first casualty. And I liked the first seasons of The Morning Show, For All Mankind and Ted Lasso. The second seasons? Not even close.

Apple isn't short of funds or hurting financially which is a massive advantage over say Netlix or Hulu.
And Apple gives the subscription away with new devices meaning they create users daily.
They can also simply market their own products.

Apple has been incredibly aggressive in pursuing live sports content in recent months. Aside from the potential deal with the NFL that could include Sunday Ticket, NFL Channel, Redzone and a stake in NFL Media, they have also pursued another megadeal for UEFA Champions League streaming rights in the US. That deal is rumored to be worth $2 to $2.5 billion and is likely to go to Apple or Amazon at this time.

But those are just potential deals. Apple has already made significant inroads into live sports streaming, striking deals with MLB and MLS. Apple already airs two Friday night MLB baseball games on Apple TV Plus each week. Starting next year, Apple will become the “exclusive” destination to watch MLS soccer matches, though MLS is still negotiating with other networks regarding potential media rights. Inking a deal with the NFL would make Apple TV Plus a destination for three of the five major sports in the US — baseball on Friday nights, a selection of MLS games on Apple TV Plus, a separate MLS streaming service available only through the Apple TV app and now potentially NFL games.

I would expect the NFL rollout to be similar to what Apple is planning with the MLS. There will likely be some games available to Apple TV Plus subscribers (maybe even Redzone) and then Redzone and Sunday Ticket will be available separately — exclusively through the Apple TV app.

Apple committed 530 BILLION to just S market over the 5 years from 22-26. This 3 Billion is a drop in the bucket.

------
I am loving the current Apple Tv show Blackbird.
Also enjoy/ed Ted Lasso, the Shining, Servant.

But it is def short compared to say Netflix or Hulu.
Amazon Prime is solid but for me it's only useful because I get it free as part of yearly Prime and have attached other networks to it.

But reality is most folks will keep multiple services and ditch cable/satellite.