PFT: Blown Call in Dallas

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
BLOWN CALL IN DALLAS

Posted by Mike Florio on September 28, 2008, 6:39 p.m.
On the same day it was announced that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will pay $25,000 for publicly criticizing referee Ed Hochuli, the zebras made like Sgt. Schulz as punt returner Pacman Jones was getting the Linda Blair treatment, courtesy of a Commanders player’s hand on Pacman’s facemask.
Rarely are such blatant violations of the rules not flagged.
We’re not suggesting that the officials were trying to stick it to Jones and his Cowboys; Dallas has gotten most of the calls so far during Sunday’s game against the Commanders. But we are suggesting (in fact, we’re flat-out saying) that the entire crew had their heads somewhere other than on their shoulders during the play in question.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
We’re not suggesting that the officials were trying to stick it to Jones and his Cowboys; Dallas has gotten most of the calls so far during Sunday’s game against the Commanders.

Did I miss something? It appeared to me that Witten and T.O. were getting mugged all afternoon. I won't say that the lack of calls was the only reason for the outcome yesterday, but it did contribute in some form or another.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I were Jerry I would send $50K to the league and let loose about the Refs in a PC. :laugh2:

magic-sword

Reaction score
dueyhemlock;2295546 said:
BLOWN CALL IN DALLAS

Posted by Mike Florio on September 28, 2008, 6:39 p.m.
On the same day it was announced that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will pay $25,000 for publicly criticizing referee Ed Hochuli, the zebras made like Sgt. Schulz as punt returner Pacman Jones was getting the Linda Blair treatment, courtesy of a Commanders player’s hand on Pacman’s facemask.
Rarely are such blatant violations of the rules not flagged.
We’re not suggesting that the officials were trying to stick it to Jones and his Cowboys; Dallas has gotten most of the calls so far during Sunday’s game against the Commanders. But we are suggesting (in fact, we’re flat-out saying) that the entire crew had their heads somewhere other than on their shoulders during the play in question.

Even Romo was calling it - on one play Witten was trying to break and turn , he was snagged by his jersey. Tony had to tell the ref.

No contact beyond five yards - I'm telling you after the PI called on on T.O. in Cleveland, I don't know how to call the penalty. By a whim?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I'm tired of the refs sucking it up. It's been several years that this has been going on. Either teach them right, or find new ones, or stop cheating, or sending a message by sucking it up even more when someone calls you out for the horrible job you're doing, whether it's the players, coaches, or owners. It's petty. Whatever it is you're doing, fix it, because it is unbelievable to me that a multi-billion dollar industry can't get this right after years of incessant atrociousness.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Until this league steps up and hires Full Time officials, this will haunt the NFL. This league generates Millions upon millions of dollars every year and they screw the fans with awful officiating.

The one thing we should expect from our dollar is to be rewarded with good officiating.

The calls yesterday was BS and while not 100% responsible for our loss, certainly contributed to it.

superpunk

Reaction score
I don't know if it's the same crew, but they did the same thing last season when we got blown out to end the season. They were letting them maul our receivers.

The refs decided that they'd let it go. The Commanders coaches were smart enough to continue to exploit that, while ours were stupid enough to decide it would be a good idea to let the Skins WRs run free.

lcharles

Negativity King
Reaction score
The refs were not coaching our team.

We got punked. Live with it.

Boysboy

Reaction score
LOL - we came out with a VERY lethartic performance yesterday. How was this the zebras' faults?

rynochop

Reaction score
lcharles;2295618 said:
The refs were not coaching our team.

We got punked. Live with it.

True. Still can ***** about penalties though. :) I have seen several holds at the LOS in the last couple games not getting called. Those really get me fired up.

I'm sure the sentiment is pretty negative around here...but 3-1 isnt bad against these opponents. And Washington played a perfect game and barely squeeked out a win.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
The interference and the holding are judgement calls and can somewhat be forgiven.

The facemask was clear as day and it is inexcusable that it was missed.

The other horrendous call was the right tackle taking off a full second before the ball was snapped and no flag being thrown. So you mean to tell me that the refs have a keen enough eye to distinguish when Ware jumps at the same moment as the snap and can thusly call Offsides? But When an O lineman takes off running a full second or more before the ball is snapped, no one notices anything out of the ordinary?

Naes

Reaction score
That facemask was horrible. I have no idea how it wasn't called when it was so blatantly obvious. Another incredibly obvious call that was missed (but didn't have much of an effect) was Jon Jansen jumping offsides about 1 second before the snap. Very weird.

UDcowboysfan

Reaction score
God that play was so dangerous......How can officials miss that. That beyond all the other missed calls is the most embarrassing for the NFL. Way to put the best Refs on the field.

juck

Reaction score
It doesnt pay to whine about the refs even though the refs suck.Then they rip u,it happens in basketball,hockey,baseball,etc...Officials are too much part of football and basketball my two favorite sports.In basketball its such a big deal u gotta gameplan for certain refs.sad.

UDcowboysfan

Reaction score
juckie;2295904 said:
It doesnt pay to whine about the refs even though the refs suck.Then they rip u,it happens in basketball,hockey,baseball,etc...Officials are too much part of football and basketball my two favorite sports.In basketball its such a big deal u gotta gameplan for certain refs.sad.
Ya usually i dont complain about calls, but not on obvious facemasks that are some of the most dangerous plays in the game.

kingfish

Reaction score
rynochop;2295662 said:
True. Still can ***** about penalties though. :) I have seen several holds at the LOS in the last couple games not getting called. Those really get me fired up.

I'm sure the sentiment is pretty negative around here...but 3-1 isnt bad against these opponents. And Washington played a perfect game and barely squeeked out a win.
The Commanders also had 2 TD's called back. The first was due to a bogus holding call, even Troy Aikman didn't see it and the 2nd was questionable.
Bad refereeing goes both ways in the NFL and it's not something that only the cowBOYS experience.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Facemask calls should be reviewable.

These really aren't judgement calls...either there is a facemask or there isn't.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
kingfish;2295917 said:
The Commanders also had 2 TD's called back. The first was due to a bogus holding call, even Troy Aikman didn't see it and the 2nd was questionable.
Bad refereeing goes both ways in the NFL and it's not something that only the cowBOYS experience.

Illegal man downfield was questionable??????
How can a 300+pound man throw a block 3 yds. downfield while the QB is looking for a WR be questionable????
We got our ***** handed to us, but the zebras didn't help...