News: PFT: Cowboys expect Leighton Vander Esch to do some work in spring

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
* this game allows ZERO room for the willed wannbe "Out there" running w/ the pack, with an condition such as his.

Creeper

Reaction score
The information about LVE is so conflicting. On the one hand he had minimally invasive surgery. Now, they expect him to so some work in the spring but not a full load until training camp? The injury wasn't serious but he has to take it easy for 7 months after surgery? Call me confused. I expect once training camp starts we'll hear he's close but needs more time.

The worst part about this is LVE should be playing in the middle but that's where he will take a worse beating.

starfan1

Reaction score
100%.....from the strongest 2018 position 2020 question marks across the board. Was just in another thread, don't be surprised they use one of their top 3 picks on the position.
I wouldn't blame them for doing so unless we have a quality FA pick up

MaineBoy

Reaction score
The information about LVE is so conflicting. On the one hand he had minimally invasive surgery. Now, they expect him to so some work in the spring but not a full load until training camp? The injury wasn't serious but he has to take it easy for 7 months after surgery? Call me confused. I expect once training camp starts we'll hear he's close but needs more time.

The worst part about this is LVE should be playing in the middle but that's where he will take a worse beating.

I think there was a posting about his condition being degenerative. That info was known and kept some teams away from him it said. Looks like another damaged bargain bin special pick by Jerry that will be an issue forever going forward. It already is a problem in his second year. This GM.

quickccc

Reaction score
100%.....from the strongest 2018 position 2020 question marks across the board. Was just in another thread, don't be surprised they use one of their top 3 picks on the position.

if they use a top 3 round pick on a LB this soon, that means they have information that they are secretly hiding and want private as possible, that will be revealed once they use
one of their first three round picks on a LB.

I think this is one that they are gonna play out first .. monitor very closely and see what transpire during the season, ..and any instance that sees him carried off the field, missing games and IR, that
would spell his career.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
The guy was just unreal his rookie year. As good as it gets in space.

We have to get him back. This would be a huge loss if he has to retire.
Perfectly said. The defense was not the same with him on the field last season. He was hurting and then they finally shut him down. It was nagging and we need him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
if they use a top 3 round pick on a LB this soon, that means they have information that they are secretly hiding and want private as possible, that will be revealed once they use
one of their first three round picks on a LB.

I think this is one that they are gonna play out first .. monitor very closely and see what transpire during the season, ..and any instance that sees him carried off the field, missing games and IR, that
would spell his career.

I don't think it's that much of a reach Quick......our last best defensive season was 2018 led by who, our LBers were balling big-time. Now it's a position filled with question marks. How well will LVE neck hold up ( Garrett's loose tongue brought in career threaten words). Jaylon had a ton tackles last season but little or no impact. Thomas is a free agent. So if one of the top 2-3 LBers is there in the 3rd, I'm probably pulling the trigger.....

Something else I never notice or thought about until Stephen Jones mentioned last year .....how the position ( LBers ) probably has more injuries than any other defensive position. As Stephen said .....they take a beating.

InTheZone

Reaction score
For that one year it seemed we'd have the best LB duo in the NFL for years.

Now we got J. Smith acting a fool for pro bowl votes and LVE's head is about to fall off his neck or something.

What a shame.
As much as I was of fan of Smith in 2018 I felt his ability was overrated. 2019 all eyes witnessed such. LB is easily a top 2 need going into 2020.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think there was a posting about his condition being degenerative. That info was known and kept some teams away from him it said. Looks like another damaged bargain bin special pick by Jerry that will be an issue forever going forward. It already is a problem in his second year. This GM.

I read that too, in the forums, but after doing some research I could find nothing official in the media that indicates the condition is degenerative. Just speculation. From what I read, he suffered a stinger in college and decided to wear that neck brace for that latter part of his last season. That led to speculation that he had a neck condition, but the combine doctors gave him a 4 rating which would indicate the injury was healed and further examination or treatment was unnecessary. If the condition was thought to be degenerative the combine doctors would have flagged it for follow-up examinations. This doesn't mean its not a degenerative condition - who knows what the combine doctors are doing. But at the time he was drafted there was no definitive evidence it was degenerative.

But I also read some teams stay away from any kind of question marks and the neck brace was enough for them to take him off their draft boards.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I was of fan of Smith in 2018 I felt his ability was overrated. 2019 all eyes witnessed such. LB is easily a top 2 need going into 2020.
Doing his own thing didn't work last year. That won't fly under McCarthy. Better DT's and a healthy LVE will help also. At some point soon another LB will be needed to replace Lee. But right now, LB isn't one of the top 2 needs. It's not even one of the top 2 needs on defense.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Doing his own thing didn't work last year. That won't fly under McCarthy. Better DT's and a healthy LVE will help also. At some point soon another LB will be needed to replace Lee. But right now, LB isn't one of the top 2 needs. It's not even one of the top 2 needs on defense.
I say it is because I don't expect LVE to play and if he does its going to be a liability like in 2019. I hope he recovers, but I'd rather not ignore it. Same issue with Smith, have we seen the best from him already? I hope not, but think that may be the case. And Lee is by far our best, but he's around on a year to year basis at this point.

Defensive tackle would be our other top priority. Only after that do we need to address the backend CB and Safety.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
I say it is because I don't expect LVE to play and if he does its going to be a liability like in 2019. I hope he recovers, but I'd rather not ignore it. Same issue with Smith, have we seen the best from him already? I hope not, but think that may be the case. And Lee is by far our best, but he's around on a year to year basis at this point.

Defensive tackle would be our other top priority. Only after that do we need to address the backend CB and Safety.

we are extremely weak at LB. Lee is the best we have and he is too old now. Smith is limited and LVE is questionable at best. So if your 63 yo LB is your best LB, you have a need. A big one.