News: PFT: Cowboys "likely" to add a kicker before training camp

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
How much of a contract can he command after his missed extra point extravaganza?
Minimum contract allowed is all he gonna get at this point.
And that may be true, but you look at it from mahers perspective and he was a pro bowl caliber K during the regular season. The guy has never made $1M in a season in the NFL, so I can imagine the guy was hoping to cash in this offseason in what may be his last chance as he’s now north of 30. I wouldn’t blame him at all at trying for a decent payday with guaranteed money attached to it, but that may also be a big part in why he’s still a free agent.

rambo2

Reaction score
It was so funny with the kicker panic last year. Then they bring in Maher and the fans complained about that and he had a solid year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It was so funny with the kicker panic last year. Then they bring in Maher and the fans complained about that and he had a solid year.
I had a lot of hope in the rookie they picked up last year, and then he proved unreliable. Wasn't too excited about Maher because I thought we were getting the player he had been throughout his career. Turns out he found his focus in New Orleans, kept it through most of the regular season with us, then lost it at the end and in the playoffs.

The player I wanted us to pick up for at least competition for Maher was Eddie Piniero. Had a similar season to Maher's without the season-ending meltdown.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think they will bring back Maher. Just seeing if anything else becomes available
I think they will bring in one of the USFL guys. They seem to really be hinting at that. I'd be OK with Matt Coghlin. He didn't miss an extra point in college (148-148) and seems to have become reliable on field goals as well. He's 16 of 17 this year.

Brandon Aubrey is also doing quite well (11 of 12 FGs, 27 of 27 PATs) and has only been playing football for a few years after being a college and professional soccer player. He might be easier to sign than Coghlin because he's from Plano, Texas.

In fact, I'd bring them both in and let best man win.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is interesting.......they saying they will likely add another kicker before training camp but what does that mean? You've ready targeted a particular play or two and you know he's not signing with another team. I mean if there is a guy out there you like........why wait or risk him signing elsewhere.

rambo2

Reaction score
This is interesting.......they saying they will likely add another kicker before training camp but what does that mean? You've ready targeted a particular play or two and you know he's not signing with another team. I mean if there is a guy out there you like........why wait or risk him signing elsewhere.
It means they will have 2 kickers in camp. I bet that they do find a kicker and will have 1 for opening day. If he doesn't kick well, they will get another one.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
And that may be true, but you look at it from mahers perspective and he was a pro bowl caliber K during the regular season. The guy has never made $1M in a season in the NFL, so I can imagine the guy was hoping to cash in this offseason in what may be his last chance as he’s now north of 30. I wouldn’t blame him at all at trying for a decent payday with guaranteed money attached to it, but that may also be a big part in why he’s still a free agent.
Teams are not gonna ignore his EPIC meltdown against the Bucs.
He also missed an XP against the skins and 49ers.
You have to be automatic on XPs in the close games.
His value has to be at the league minimum....

rambo2

Reaction score
He had a very good season.

shabazz

Reaction score
The longer they wait, the fewer players they will have to select from.
i wonder why some here think that it’s better to wait until the options are fewer?

Jerry has had that philosophy for years and we see how well that’s paid off…..ergo the dumpster diving for free agents that either are retired or that no other teams want.

rambo2

Reaction score
i wonder why some here think that it’s better to wait until the options are fewer?

Jerry has had that philosophy for years and we see how well that’s paid off…..ergo the dumpster diving for free agents that either are retired or that no other teams want.
At this point the options shouldn't change much. Every team already has a kicker.

rambo2

Reaction score

Right now there are 46 kickers on nfl rosters. At least 14 of them will be available in August.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
giphy.gif