News: PFT: Dak Prescott won't commit to showing up, if he's tagged

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Again, how many teams are trying to rock the boat with what they feel is an established starting QB? Other than with an aging QB like Eli who is near the end and the team knows a replacement needs to be ready, that just isn't a common thing. So why treat it as a flaw with Jerry when when it's really just the nature of things with the majority f teams.

The reason you should care is only to have a realistic understanding of what is possible and how things work. Of course we would all love for the Cowboys to have a backup at every position that can step in without a dropoff, but history both with the Cowboys and other teams around the league tell us that between there being a limit on the number of players with that kind of talent, and a limit on salary cap space to pay that kind of talent, it just can't be done at every position. And that's especially true at the QB position where there aren't even enough quality starters for all 32 teams much less an abundance of quality backups that would allow teams to feel comfortable taking the risk of losing their incumbent starter.

I do, however, agree that we should be drafting QB's along the way, and hopefully one will step up and show something like Garoppolo did. But remember, Garappolo was a late 2nd round pick, and therefore really wasn't a sure thing he would be a strong as he was, plus, the Pats wouldnt have risked not having Brady because they had Garoppolo anyway. I also doubt the Pats would have used even that high a pick if Brady had been 30 instead of 37 at the time. The older the current QB, the more draft capital a team typically will use to try and cover themselves in case the starter gets hurt or retires.

Seem to keep going around in circles here. You seem more concerned with what other teams do or dont do.

If you think the Cowboys are doing the right thing with their backups then great. Lets move on.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
OK, I can see you don't want to just agree to disagree. Fair enough, tell me where he was named as starter and lets go ahead and discuss it.

2014, then let go, went to the Rams 2015 as a starter was benched in favor of Case Kennum after poor play. I'm just saying his play never nailed down a starting job. When the opportunity was there he lost the job. He now has his chance in Jacksonville not getting off to a good start but we will see how it plays out.

Redline360

Reaction score
I see it two ways

1) You should have taken the 30m and ran to the bank.You're not worth nearly what you think you are.

2) Jerry is also an idiot and will over pay.

I could see a team offering Dak 32m max

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's assume he does hold out, what are the Cowboys options at that point?

They can rescind the tag; however, that tag is considered used for that season so they couldn't use it on Cooper or Jones. Until the tender is signed, it can be withdrawn.

So, what would you do? Got a new HC that you specifically hired to take the team up, not level and then up.

What we really don't know is how much does Big Mike love him some Prescott? Is it a "get him camp, whatever you need to do" or a "let's look at the other QB's that might be available"?

The tricky part is the waiting game. What is the drop dead date for Big Mike to have his QB? What other QB's might be available at that time?

Feb 3, the waiver system kicks in.
Feb 25, players can be tagged
Mar 16, teams can begun contract talks with their UFA's with contracts expired in 2019

See a problem here?

Let's say Rivers hits the open market but the Cowboys are still trying to make a deal with Prescott and they don't have a feel for if he will hold out or not.

The more I think about this, and believe me I am tired of thinking about it, it's a simple either or. If he's your guy, do the best deal you can and move on, no tag. If you are even considering the tag, let him go find another team, get the best FA QB and draft one in the 1st this draft and the next one as well, if necessary. Playing the tag game with a QB that they're not sure of what he will do is wasting time. Time that they do not have as much as they think they do.

And there's one thing in their favor about this, any QB is going to have to learn this offense, Prescott does not hold an edge and any QB that's played more of a WCO does. This would be the time to let him walk.

Brax

Reaction score
Couldnt be more dead serious. Common sense. IF Dak were to go down who is going to come in and lead this team?

But werent you one of the guys who claimed that Cooper Rush was better than Dak? Doh!!!! :lmao2::lmao2:
8-8 doesn't take a lot to replace, Rush , a bum and a joke as a back up along with most of Jerry's save a buck back ups, a quality vet who competes and pushes Dak and there is not believe much of a drop off and some good Qbs will be available.

Frozen700

Reaction score
He won’t accept 31 a year. His agent is asking for to much and wants a short term deal. He will have Dak holding out if they try to tag him.

Offer goff money on a 4 year deal with. 3 year out. Give him a fat signing bonus and the guaranteed money and go play ball.

I would offer him a longer term deal if he will sign it. At sone point he will quit gambling on himself.

This is playing out the way I like it. Hopefully he continues to be greedy and leaves.

#DontpayDak

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dak would be stupid to sign before Mahomes, Watson will be waiting on the same thing. Market is about to explode and Cowboys will fall victim to Jerry and his stupidity....as always.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Get ya money Dak!!!! Don’t let broke tell you what type of money you should get!!! Know your worth people!!!

Loso86

Reaction score
Dak would be stupid to sign before Mahomes, Watson will be waiting on the same thing. Market is about to explode and Cowboys will fall victim to Jerry and his stupidity....as always.
It won't matter people his money shouldnt be close Mahomes is in the superbowl

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Dak Prescott won't commit to showing up, if he's tagged

gettyimages-1196563929-e1580470950854.jpg

The dance continues between the Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott, and the music could soon take an ominous turn. With Prescott having completed his rookie deal and with the Cowboys facing the questi...

Read Full Story
See?

I have been posting alot recently about being concerned with Dak and a potential holdout and that Dak's real agenda his money..

will be clearly his motivation.

Not going to belabor this more.

But as a leader..he is lacking.

Just saying.

Hate to say that as I like him but he should be better than this.

We need him to be better than the way things are shaping up.

Disappointed.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
2014, then let go, went to the Rams 2015 as a starter was benched in favor of Case Kennum after poor play. I'm just saying his play never nailed down a starting job. When the opportunity was there he lost the job. He now has his chance in Jacksonville not getting off to a good start but we will see how it plays out.

OK, Foles started the first 8 games of 2014. In that stretch, he went 6-2. He had three 300 plus pass games and one 400 plus game before being injured in the 9th game. He didn't lose the job, he got injured, (broken Clavicle I believe) in the first quarter and was replaced by Sanchez for the rest of the season. Injuries are a part of the game so if you want to say he was unable to hold on to the starting job, that's fine and I suppose that in the most strict sense, it's true but that was not a fail and you know it. He got injured and was replaced by a guy who went on to go .500 the rest of the season.

2014, his contract was up and Philly didn't want to pay him. He was only paid like 2 mil for three years in Philly. He went on to sign an FA deal, I believe, with the Rams for 6 mil a year. With the Rams, you have a better story because I believe he was benched for Keenum but then again, the Rams were bad and their intent was always to replace the QB with a high draft pick in 2016, which became Goff. So really, Foles was never going to be the guy for the Rams, regardless.

As for Jacksonville, they are going with Minshew and this is more about cap then anything. Minshew is cheap in comparison and Foles is not. This will be about money, not play, IMO.

I don't agree.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seem to keep going around in circles here. You seem more concerned with what other teams do or dont do.

If you think the Cowboys are doing the right thing with their backups then great. Lets move on.
What I’m concerned with is reality. I can pretend all I want that the Cowboys can and should do anything I can dream up, but the simple fact I am a Cowboy fan doesn’t somehow mean the Cowboys don’t have to deal with the same limiting factors every other team deals with.

As for your comment suggesting I believe the Cowboys are doing the right thing with their backup, I clearly did not say that, so don’t put words in my mouth to try and make a point. Rush makes me nervous, and in fact I like the scenario you mentioned earlier about having a vet backup like Fitzgerald and a young prospect is a good path. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t roster or salary cap issues that can either allow or prohibit that, nor does it mean a Fitzgerald is available, nor does it mean The Cowboys would feel better negotiating with Dak in a way that would make them okay risking him not playing.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
8-8 doesn't take a lot to replace, Rush , a bum and a joke as a back up along with most of Jerry's save a buck back ups, a quality vet who competes and pushes Dak and there is not believe much of a drop off and some good Qbs will be available.

Cowboys record under Dak is 40-24 troll. And you think Cooper Rush would be able to duplicate that if Dak got hurt?

Talking about letting Dak walk and signing someone else has nothing to do with my comment. That's another discussion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
OK, Foles started the first 8 games of 2014. In that stretch, he went 6-2. He had three 300 plus pass games and one 400 plus game before being injured in the 9th game. He didn't lose the job, he got injured, (broken Clavicle I believe) in the first quarter and was replaced by Sanchez for the rest of the season. Injuries are a part of the game so if you want to say he was unable to hold on to the starting job, that's fine and I suppose that in the most strict sense, it's true but that was not a fail and you know it. He got injured and was replaced by a guy who went on to go .500 the rest of the season.

2014, his contract was up and Philly didn't want to pay him. He was only paid like 2 mil for three years in Philly. He went on to sign an FA deal, I believe, with the Rams for 6 mil a year. With the Rams, you have a better story because I believe he was benched for Keenum but then again, the Rams were bad and their intent was always to replace the QB with a high draft pick in 2016, which became Goff. So really, Foles was never going to be the guy for the Rams, regardless.

As for Jacksonville, they are going with Minshew and this is more about cap then anything. Minshew is cheap in comparison and Foles is not. This will be about money, not play, IMO.

I don't agree.

Again I'm not knocking Foles but if he was as good as you think teams would not have been looking to get rid of him. That seldom happens that your play is so great that the team choose to draft or bench you. QB are hard to find no one is going to bench a great QB. Foles is good and provides quality backup and if teams felt different, his career would be different. You are right we don't agree

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Again I'm not knocking Foles but if he was as good as you think teams would not have been looking to get rid of him. That seldom happens that your play is so great that the team choose to draft or bench you. QB are hard to find no one is going to bench a great QB. Foles is good and provides quality backup and if teams felt different, his career would be different. You are right we don't agree

OK. How good do you think, I think he is? I never said one thing about how good I thought he was. Lets start there.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Dak will show up and he will play. If he doesn't, one of the backups will come out and show that any half-competent QB can win games in this offense and then Dak loses all leverage at anything long-term. That's why, if you noticed, Dak never comes out of games regardless of how injured he might be or how much we are winning/losing. Doesn't want anyone else to show they might be similar or even better.

It's the same thing we should've done with Zeke. Hopefully Jerry realizes the mistake.
I agree.

Because this team gets too protective of the starter..

we never have another QB ready if needed.

Of course the reason he never comes out is because we have again fallen behind and have to get back in position to pull it out.

So we have no clue about Cooper Rush and White. Yet we keep them around.

That was all Garrett. He was in love with his role as a backup to Aikman and was just enamored with backups.

Remember Brandon Weeden?

He was supposed to be a great QB.

Not.

So if Dak holds out..then what? How long do we wait for this to thaw?

glimmerman

Reaction score
If he thinks he is getting 40+ like mahomes then he is crazy. He ain’t that good. And I don’t see any team in the league pay him that much.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What I’m concerned with is reality. I can pretend all I want that the Cowboys can and should do anything I can dream up, but the simple fact I am a Cowboy fan doesn’t somehow mean the Cowboys don’t have to deal with the same limiting factors every other team deals with.

As for your comment suggesting I believe the Cowboys are doing the right thing with their backup, I clearly did not say that, so don’t put words in my mouth to try and make a point. Rush makes me nervous, and in fact I like the scenario you mentioned earlier about having a vet backup like Fitzgerald and a young prospect is a good path. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t roster or salary cap issues that can either allow or prohibit that, nor does it mean a Fitzgerald is available, nor does it mean The Cowboys would feel better negotiating with Dak in a way that would make them okay risking him not playing.
Oh so you agree?

That took longer than it should.

And like I said...…….….I would never have paid ONE back 15 million and would allocate that money more in the QB arena as well as draft capital.

Which would have helped in the QB salary negotiations. And who knows, if we had another promising QB on the roster, maybe we move on from Dak and save 30 million.