News: PFT: DeMarcus Lawrence calls Cowboys' initial $9 million pay cut request "disrespectful"

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You ask a player to take a pay cut for 2 reasons:
1 - You tell him you need it to sign a big time player that will help the team
2 - You tell him his play has sucked and he doesn't deserve the deal you agreed to pay him originally

If the second reason was given to you at our job, how would you feel?

Reason #1 is not the player's problem. It's the team's job to manage the cap to allow for other signings. And if it's been mismanaged, it's up to them to "find" money.

Ken

Reaction score
You ask a player to take a pay cut for 2 reasons:
1 - You tell him you need it to sign a big time player that will help the team
2 - You tell him his play has sucked and he doesn't deserve the deal you agreed to pay him originally

If the second reason was given to you at our job, how would you feel?
I had the 2nd one done to me a year into a new job.

Nothing i could do but take the 40% paycut until i found something else.

Now i make double what i made before the cut with another company.
But he got his money. Why would he need to “pump up his brand”? If he doesn’t realize this would demonize him among the fanbase, he’s not very bright, is he?
He got money but having to rework a deal suggests you are slipping, which he is.

It is like shot on his "Hot Boyz" brand that hasn't been lukewarm in three years.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
So do players/agents even know who to deal with ?

ESisback

Reaction score
I had the 2nd one done to me a year into a new job.

Nothing i could do but take the 40% paycut until i found something else.

Now i make double what i made before the cut with another company.

He got money but having to rework a deal suggests you are slipping, which he is.

It is like shot on his "Hot Boyz" brand that hasn't been lukewarm in three years.

But his rework is done! He won. He got his money. A shot on his Hot Boyz brand?!? What does that mean? Is there a physical company that markets product that he owns?

This is the kind of crap that alienates fanbases. Entitled ballplayers that feel dissed, because ridiculous amounts of money and hero worship isn’t enough to play a game.

Ken

Reaction score
But his rework is done! He won. He got his money. A shot on his Hot Boyz brand?!? What does that mean? Is there a physical company that markets product that he owns?

This is the kind of crap that alienates fanbases. Entitled ballplayers that feel dissed, because ridiculous amounts of money and hero worship isn’t enough to play a game.
It means...in his feeble mind and the minds of the new age athlete, they have to project that they are better than what they are. He's a "leader" on the team and a "wardaddy"- he just took a paycut. Guaranteed money or not, if he played out his contract and was worth that money, he would have made way more.

So, he has to spin it that he is doing us a favor and that he could get way more on the open market. It has since come out that the 1 year- 10 mill offer never happened. Further proving my point that he has to spin his decline as him doing us a favor.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Your play on the filed is also disrespectful.

You refusing surgery until you get a contract is disrespectful.

Your bark being WAY bigger than your bite for the past 3 years is disrespectful.

You got your money. You outsmarted this FO again, but that's clearly not a hard thing to do, so just pipe down and collect your paychecks while acting like a tough guy.

dogberry

Reaction score
The degree to which I dislike disrespect is covered by the large infinity.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Sucks that we’re stuck with him until 2025. With three years guaranteed he can just cash it in which I’m almost certain he’ll do.

ESisback

Reaction score
It means...in his feeble mind and the minds of the new age athlete, they have to project that they are better than what they are. He's a "leader" on the team and a "wardaddy"- he just took a paycut. Guaranteed money or not, if he played out his contract and was worth that money, he would have made way more.

So, he has to spin it that he is doing us a favor and that he could get way more on the open market. It has since come out that the 1 year- 10 mill offer never happened. Further proving my point that he has to spin his decline as him doing us a favor.

Resigned to “accept” the pathetic mindset of today’s athlete…sigh…

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
It's also disrespectful to have a base salary that Lawrence had with 14.5 sacks the past three seasons combined.