News: PFT: DeMarcus Lawrence might need more back surgery, but not now

NewsBot

Reaction score
Cowboys defensive end Demarcus Lawrence hasn’t made nearly the impact he expected this year, and admitted he may need another back surgery. But he was quick to point out that it wasn’t coming anytime soon, and he’s ready to play next week when the Cowboys open the preseason. “It’s time roll now,” Lawrence said, via…http://youwillnotrackme2.net/b.gif?host=profootballtalk.nbcsports.com&blog=&post=2435777&subd=nbcprofootballtalk&ref=&feed=1

Continue reading...

lukin2006

Reaction score
Hopefully, he's able to go, especially since Gregory might be suspended.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I agree, would not sign him as an elite DE, he will get a Sean Lee type contract which will be modified by injuries if he stays with the Boys.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I have/had back issues....and they have to MANAGE this to get him through the playoffs. I am confident they KNOW this. I would limit the amount of snaps in succession. I would shut it down if we are fortunate enough to get a comfortable lead. It's all about getting the inflammation to calm down. And it seems like they have done that. Now they need to get it to stay down. The way to keep the inflammation down is to play him in spurts. If and when the inflammation goes all the way up....he would be done for that game and likely the rest of the playoffs. If we are lucky enough to make the Super Bowl...the week in between would be very helpful.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Yes and as we need DE's anyway, that makes the draft a priority to get one or two. Unless they finally dip into the FA market.
My fear is JJ and his loyalty to these players, only to get fleeced again.

I'm counting on the Cowboys at least attempting to secure a starting caliber LDE via free agency so they can focus on other key positions (in the draft) this April.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just adds to my belief the Cowboys need to draft at least 2 DE's this spring.

This.

All day this.

These things rarely, if ever 'get better'. It's a shame for everyone involved, but this needs to be handled logically. Just like they haven't been able to count on him, they shouldn't count on him. Cover yourselves accordingly. As if he will not be available rather than that he will be. That way, if he is, you have even more options. If he isn't, you're not stuck scrambling for answers.

And forget about ever getting into a long term deal with any guaranteed money. He can't guarantee being available, I'm not guaranteeing anything either.

It's harsh I know, but this is a business first and foremost. A business about winning.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have/had back issues....and they have to MANAGE this to get him through the playoffs. I am confident they KNOW this. I would limit the amount of snaps in succession. I would shut it down if we are fortunate enough to get a comfortable lead. It's all about getting the inflammation to calm down. And it seems like they have done that. Now they need to get it to stay down. The way to keep the inflammation down is to play him in spurts. If and when the inflammation goes all the way up....he would be done for that game and likely the rest of the playoffs. If we are lucky enough to make the Super Bowl...the week in between would be very helpful.

I just learned that they have Artificial Disc Replacement available now. I don't know if it is viable for a top athlete but it is an alternative to spinal fusion.

I wonder exactly what they did to repair Romo's disc problem. The reports back then seemed to indicate that his disc had blown out and not just herniated.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Man...with tapper hurt and w back issues, tank with back issues, and Gregory ( most likely) gone, we need to draft some healthy DEs

Minimum two DEs please. Can't count on the guys listed above long term. It would be great if we could but let's prepare for the worse case scenario.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I just learned that they have Artificial Disc Replacement available now. I don't know if it is viable for a top athlete but it is an alternative to spinal fusion.

I wonder exactly what they did to repair Romo's disc problem. The reports back then seemed to indicate that his disc had blown out and not just herniated.

Blown out, herniated ---- same thing. Romo had a microdiscectomy, for extraction of impinging fibrous disc material.

The disc simply provides cushion between the vertebrae. At least half of all disc herniations do not require surgery. Surgery is required when the disc has degenerated enough to allow displacement of one vertebra vs another, thereby causing nerve impingement, or if extruded disc material causes nerve impingement. The impingement may lead to deterioration of the nerve and the subsequent musculature, and therefore needs to be addressed.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
He is consistently out of shape. Bad habit if you have a back injury, as strengthening the core muscles is the only conservative care for back injuries. Not a good outlook. I would draft his replacement asap.