Video: PFT: Did Dallas Cowboys have worst offseason of any NFL team?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People bemoan the loss of Hitchens and lack of FA moves but ignore the distinct possibility that we have numerous guys like Irving, Awuzie, Lewis, Woods, Frazier, Smith and Switzer poised to take the next step to being solid contributors or pro bowl caliber players.
Agree but that LB corps is specifically susceptible because of Lee's injury history and Smith's questionable return to college form.

There is also the "interest factor" that affects my thinking. KC didn't just sign him this off season but tried to trade for him last off season. Since I have more respect for them as talent evaluators, and specifically on the that D side of the ball, he's more of a loss to me.

But I am all onboard with these young players and seeing their next steps and I really liked what I saw from the two young corners....aggressiveness. Sure, they made some mistakes but all good corners make some starting out but they really challenge the receivers and therefore, challenge the passer.

But, the most intriguing part of the team to me is that DL. Will Lawrence be as good playing for another contract? Can Irving take the next step? Because he could be a monster. Can Charleton step up and make Lawrence expendable in 2019? And can Tapper stay healthy? However, I still think the missing ingredient is that OL eating DT that could lessen the impact of losing Hitchens.

Your response is dead on because the overall feel of this forum is one of loss. Missed out on this guy or that guy but what about these guys we already have? What the team doesn't do in the off season plays too heavily over what it will do in the season. And that is unknown at this time. I am not going to play the "pissed off forward" game in March. I can wait until November,

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I don't know about being the worst off season but I would say the worst "effort". put forth by any FO.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ROFL. Reality should temp ban himself form his own site for posting this nonsense.

The off-season isn't over. Not even close.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Man.. most of these replies are so defensive. Can anyone at least agree that (to this point in comparison to others) our offseason has been a tad suspect???

We didn't spend big money in a weak FA market. I understand some people consider that a failure but I do not. Giving a 30 year old Ndamakong Suh 10-15 million dollars is not my idea of offseason success. We tried that formula for almost 20 years and at best it helped net us one title on the back end of a dynasty (Deion) and nothing thereafter. As it stands now we are loaded with young talent via the draft poised to take the next step.

And Demarcus Lawrence is better than any FA available and we kept him, that's a clear win. We also kept Irving, who would have been first team all pro had he played a full 16 games. That's probably 20+ sacks for next year we retained.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
We didn't spend big money in a weak FA market. I understand some people consider that a failure but I do not. Giving a 30 year old Ndamakong Suh 10-15 million dollars is not my idea of offseason success. We tried that formula for almost 20 years and at best it helped net us one title on the back end of a dynasty (Deion) and nothing thereafter. As it stands now we are loaded with young talent via the draft poised to take the next step.

And Demarcus Lawrence is better than any FA available and we kept him, that's a clear win. We also kept Irving, who would have been first team all pro had he played a full 16 games. That's probably 20+ sacks for next year we retained.
Hurn just signed to two year deal. The Dez plot thickens. I love it. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

http://bleacherreport.com/post/nfl/f9945fa4-13de-470b-89b7-1d70cb435fba

cern

Reaction score
Every paid cap expert said we had 17 million to spend and it would be spent on Lawrence. That's what happened. The virtual lack of anything else reflects our cap demise. And I also get the impression the fo thinks we're not that far away from being one of the league's best.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every paid cap expert said we had 17 million to spend and it would be spent on Lawrence. That's what happened. The virtual lack of anything else reflects our cap demise. And I also get the impression the fo thinks we're not that far away from being one of the league's best.
When they have had exceptional health, that has been the case. They also don't need much encouragement to think that since there's not much they can do. It's not like they had 60M of space and did little in FA. And no other team is going to have so much in their OL and I won't complain as long as they stay a 50% run team.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I take pride in my disdain for the Dallas front office and "coaching" staff, but the league year started 9 days ago, this might be a tad premature to grade their entire off season, IMO.

Creeper

Reaction score
Remember last offseason - the entire offseason, not just the first two weeks? How did that work out for Dallas? They are all excited about a few extra 4th and 5th round picks. In the meantime, the winners of the off season, the Eagles and Jaguars had huge improvements over the prior season with both teams going into the conference championship games and the Eagles winning the Superbowl.

Off seasons do matter. The Cowboys have stated they will not be big players in free agency so the sign guys like Nolan Carroll who were bad on their previous teams and didn't last the season with Dallas. Anyone who thought this off season would be any different or that the rest of this off season will be different is not listening to the Dallas front office. The Cowboys let an excellent full back get away in free agency only to trade with the same team who signed him for a FB that they probably would have cut! A FB who is nowhere as good as the FB they let go! This is 2017 all over again. In the meantime, the Eagles have obtained Michael Bennett, Haloti Ngata and Mike Wallace. These are all impact players or were at one time or another. BTW, the Eagles already had and all world DL before they got Bennett and Ngata.

The offseason has to be judged not only by what your team does, but also relative to the teams your team has to beat. The Eagles and Giants got better in the offseason - so far. The Giants have the #2 pick which will surely be another impact player. Plus, the Giants will get back all the injured players they lost last season. They will be a better team than the one in 2017. So will the Eagles.

So far the Cowboys look to be worse with the loss of Hitchens, Wilber and Jonathan Cooper. They must address their issues in the draft, which is no sure thing, because we know they are not going to sign any stars to fix their immediate problems as LG, WR and LB.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did Dallas Cowboys have worst offseason of any NFL team?

nbc_pft_cowboysrestructurefrederick_180323.jpg

It's been a rough offseason for the Dallas Cowboys, but was it the worst in the league?

Read Full Story
Last I checked the offseason isn’t over yet. I can’t believe this place.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our FA segment of offseason has been as expected .

Fortunately the best part of offseason is coming up in draft. We’re stacked with additional picks which we can maneuver with.