PFT: Donald says Watts is now the best defensive player, mentioned Parsons

Buzzbait

Reaction score
The scouts wanted Watt, it was Marinelli that didn't want him because "he never saw him put his hand down on tape". I think it was just an excuse because he wanted his pet cat Taco.
It's hard to imagine how anyone would've preferred Taco over Watt. I mean what in the world did he see in Taco to justify picking against the advice of the scouts???

Reactions: CWR

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Perhaps Will McClay didn't think Watt would fit into the culture here......
If that was the case, then he was wrong and it was a big miss.

I find TJ Watt one of the really egrigious mistakes because he was highgly touted, and much examined. Did Dallas talk themselves out of Watt or were they just so stupid that they could not see what a good football player is regardless the system?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Parsons is great only in terms of Cowboys PR. Just as Dak Prescott is an MVP caliber QB as pushed out by the Cowboys PR and marketing guys.

Adreme

Reaction score
This would be fixed by playing only the crappiest of teams all season then......against the Dolphins and Bills, Parsons had half a sack and 2 whole tackles.

The numbers don't lie
You do realize that is true for just about every pass rusher right. For almost all of them 2/3 of their sacks come against 1/4 of their opponents. Basically sacks come when a mismatch happens so they come in bunches. When a team does not have a mismatch you are not likely to get a sack.

Reactions: CWR

Buzzbait

Reaction score

I find TJ Watt one of the really egrigious mistakes because he was highgly touted, and much examined. Did Dallas talk themselves out of Watt or were they just so stupid that they could not see what a good football player is regardless the system?
I vote for "they were just so stupid."

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Hard to say he's wrong.

Epic misfire by the Cowboys passing on Watt.
I'd say epic misfire for a lot of teams. Our is made worse, though, by what we got instead.

I mean, Philly took Derek Barnett. I think the Eagles would like to have that one back too.

San Fran took Solomon Thomas at No. 3. Think the 49ers wouldn't rather have had Watt?

Same with Atlanta and Takkarist McKinley.

Last edited:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’d take Max Crosby over any DE in the league. He makes a difference in all aspects of defense and never stops hustling.

Motorola

Reaction score
Worst first round selection in the last ten years by the Cowboys, I really hated that Taco pick, it was three weeks before the draft when his name was mentioned being tied to the Cowboys selection...
Last year's selection of Mazi might eclispe that.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Hard to say he's wrong.

Epic misfire by the Cowboys passing on Watt.
Misfire? Watt was/is undersized for the edge position. You don't see us using a 240 lbs DE now do you?

Besides, Taco was a much better prospect. Taco was a stout, marginal athlete, with minimal bend.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Watts doesn’t seem to be having a problem on the edge with the Stealers. We can try to rationalize and justify the miss but it was big for us because our D is bad due to so many misses in the first 2 rounds that should still be starters now.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

It retrospect it was a huge miss.

But Watt also had significant injury concerns (injuries to both knees), and was viewed as slightly undersized for a traditional 4-3 DE.

I'm still convinced that he would have had less success here, though obviously way more success than Taco.

He's a great fit for where he is.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I'm excited to see how Zim uses Parsons.......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...w-has-the-title-of-nfls-best-defensive-player

Aaron Donald says T.J. Watt now has the title of NFL’s best defensive player​

Published April 6, 2024 04:59 AM

Aaron Donald was the best defensive player in the NFL over the last decade, but now that Donald is retired, he says T.J. Watt has that title.

Asked on Chris Long’s podcast who assumes the title of the best defensive player in the league now, Donald picked Watt.

“I think it’s T.J. Watt,” Donald said. “You talk about a guy that’s consistent. Been doing it year in, year out, consistently, that’s gonna get you 15 sacks, 13 sacks, 22 sacks, consistent. He’s the guy who’s been doing it consistently, interceptions, touchdowns, His stats are ridiculous every single year. He’s that guy to me. I know you’ve got Micah Parsons that’s coming up, you’ve got Myles Garrett, you’ve got a bunch of good players. But in my opinion, in the time I’ve seen T.J. Watt in this league, from the first time I’ve seen him to last year, he’s consistently been dominating in this league. So a lot of respect for him.”
This is exactly why a REAL GM is desperately needed in this organization. With JJ wearing so many hats, it's become very apparent that this organization is going to struggle for years to come without one.

Mikexike

Reaction score
I'm excited to see how Zim uses Parsons.......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...w-has-the-title-of-nfls-best-defensive-player

Aaron Donald says T.J. Watt now has the title of NFL’s best defensive player​

Published April 6, 2024 04:59 AM

Aaron Donald was the best defensive player in the NFL over the last decade, but now that Donald is retired, he says T.J. Watt has that title.

Asked on Chris Long’s podcast who assumes the title of the best defensive player in the league now, Donald picked Watt.

“I think it’s T.J. Watt,” Donald said. “You talk about a guy that’s consistent. Been doing it year in, year out, consistently, that’s gonna get you 15 sacks, 13 sacks, 22 sacks, consistent. He’s the guy who’s been doing it consistently, interceptions, touchdowns, His stats are ridiculous every single year. He’s that guy to me. I know you’ve got Micah Parsons that’s coming up, you’ve got Myles Garrett, you’ve got a bunch of good players. But in my opinion, in the time I’ve seen T.J. Watt in this league, from the first time I’ve seen him to last year, he’s consistently been dominating in this league. So a lot of respect for him.”
He's not wrong, T.J is a beast. If only our Lion showed up more instead of pouting so much.