PFT: Emmitt's biggest problem is a lack of prep

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When ESPN finally dumped Joe Theismann (a/k/a Joey Sunshine) from the MNF broadcasts and Michael Irvin from Sunday NFL Countdown, we were concerned that we'd have no one on the network's NFL coverage to complain about. Other than Sean Salisbury.

Enter Emmitt Smith.

The NFL's all-time rushing leader has provided plenty of fodder for criticism, from his inability to conjugate verbs to his periodic Porky Pig moments to his lack of basic knowledge regarding things like player names and team records.

As to the issue with not knowing names and player records, some basic preparation work is all that he needs. And it's our understand based on conversations with multiple folks in the industry that Emmitt simply doesn't -- and won't -- do it.

Indeed, we've heard from several folks that Emmitt's exit from NFLN was due in large part to his refusal to put in the time away from the stuidio. They also tell us that Emmitt's struggles in Bristol are no surprise, based on his limited stint with NFLN.

Most recently, Emmitt coined a potential new "boom goes the dynamite" on Sunday by proclaiming on-air that "you cannot change the stripes of a leopard." And that gem followed a far more embarrassing moment for Emmitt, during which he said with confidence that San Diego is the most likely 0-2 team to lose in Week Three. As the video of the incident shows, Chris Berman tried to run some quick interference for Emmitt, but to no avail.

Video Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/video?id=3032764

Of course, no amount of prep can address the fact that Emmitt simply doesn't have the chops to be a broadcaster. And the fact that ESPN would nevertheless expose him to a mass audience is somewhat offensive, since ESPN apparently thinks that most of us won't will be willing to overlook Smith's gross inadequacies because, hey, he's the NFL's all-time leading rusher.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
D. Woodson is far more eloquent and seemingly brighter. Emmitt can rush the football and dance a little-- but the guy just doesn't seem that bright.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1667018 said:
from his inability to conjugate verbs

And it's our understand based on conversations

He's not the only one with grammar problems....

PFT :rolleyes:

kevwun

Reaction score
Woodson is very good whenever he's on, which explains why espn doesn't give him more air time. There is no place for level-headed, logical analysis at espn.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1667030 said:
D. Woodson is far more eloquent and seemingly brighter. Emmitt can rush the football and dance a little-- but the guy just doesn't seem that bright.

Yeah, what is the hold up on promoting Darren? He's excellent, far better than Emmitt will ever be.

Maybe the Berman anti-Cowboys plan is to let Emmitt repeatedly embarrass himself before a national audience. :p:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I do a lot of public speaking -- what I've learned over the years is that if you PREPARE -- and that means practicing things you will say -- even practicing responses to various questions -- that you will perform far far better. Right now Emmitt sounds like he just shows up and talks.

sago1

Reaction score
I've also been a public speaker. Your right that you always need to prepare yourself ahead of time. But I also had 2 problems: Sometimes I just would lose the train and thought and forget what I was saying, and there was so many things I wanted to say that my brain was moving faster then my tongue was so I would end up stuttering some times.

Best way to help those problems (which Emmitt might also have) is to make notes in bulletin format of what he wants to say. Of course his job is a lot more freelance cause some topics come up he didn't know he would be addressing so lot of ad lib involved.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1667030 said:

did anyone ever catch onto this when he was a cowboy? it just seems like after he's no longer playing he either suddenly started saying stupid things or we don't let it slide as much now.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
Emmitt's problem is that he's wasting too much of his time posting here at cowboyszone.com under the username "RomoIsBack"

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
SupermanXx;1667344 said:
Emmitt's problem is that he's wasting too much of his time posting here at cowboyszone.com under the username "RomoIsBack"

:laugh2:

Smith's snafu ranks up there with Al Gore's "A zebra can't change it's spots".

QT

Reaction score
Bring Irvin back!!! I love his energy....

khiladi

Reaction score
Everybody on ESPN sucks, except for Woodson...

Has anyone seen when Keyshawn and Bill do that session.. man, awful...

superpunk

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1667018 said:
Most recently, Emmitt coined a potential new "boom goes the dynamite" on Sunday by proclaiming on-air that "you cannot change the stripes of a leopard." And that gem followed a far more embarrassing moment for Emmitt, during which he said with confidence that San Diego is the most likely 0-2 team to lose in Week Three. As the video of the incident shows, Chris Berman tried to run some quick interference for Emmitt, but to no avail.

Actually, Emmitt said the thing about SD before he said the thing about the leopard (re: Randy Moss).

But, in a blurb about how preparation can help you get your facts straight, we can hardly expect Florio to do the same with his.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
tunahelper;1667189 said:
Mike never should have been fired!

QuanTran;1667391 said:
Bring Irvin back!!! I love his energy....

Irvin is gone cause he would be would abuse this cohosts, lol. :cool:

It was funny, whenever Irvin was on, you could see the extra space they would give him (more than anyone else), and he would still reach out and hit, tap, or touch someone.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Emmitt is one of my favorite people, but he was never a good interview as a player, he has bad grammar and terrible syntax. I don't know what they expected, quite frankly.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
kingwhicker;1667464 said:
Emmitt is one of my favorite people, but he was never a good interview as a player, he has bad grammar and terrible syntax. I don't know what they expected, quite frankly.

I think they expected that he actually knew something about football.... or leopards.