PFT: Gregory was not lined up in the neutral zone

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What gets me is it erased one hell of defensive play......

Randy Gregory wasn’t lined up in the neutral zone
Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2018, 12:27 PM EST

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/30/randy-gregory-wasnt-lined-up-in-the-neutral-zone/

One of the more bizarre officiating errors in a night marked with several of them came when the folks in black and white wiped out a Drew Brees fumble, recovered by the Cowboys.

Referee Walt Anderson announced that Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory had lined up in the neutral zone. But one small problem existed with this conclusion: Gregory wasn’t lined up in the neutral zone

Vandyr

Reaction score
I'm not one to usually claim the fix is in, or what have you, but that referee sounded absolutely heart broken when he had to confirm the Jourdan Lewis interception on the field.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
If the spot was at the 50, yes he was. If you look at the photo, he's the ONLY Cowboy over the 50, and by good margin. The blue line for the line of scrimmage cannot overlay the white line marker because it needs a green background so that too tells me the LOS was probably the 50.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
We got away with no more than the Saints did. Hence, why it's perfectly fine to complain, for both teams, to demand better officiating.

You can't miss obvious calls like a helmet to helmet on Kamara or a facemask on Dak or this offsides.
This gets to the guts of these arguments. The officiating was terrible last night and has been for much of the year. We get so lost in arguments about who's whining or who's being too reactionary that we lose the soul of the issue. The officiating has been unacceptable.

links18

Reaction score
It was really close. It didn't affect the play. If I am a ref, I am letting that one go. But Gregory should make extra special sure to line up onside from now on.

droopdog7

Reaction score
I mentioned this yesterday. What really bugs me about the call is the situation and the fact that the ref had time to think about it. It's third and five so the ref KNEW he was basically granting them a huge first down. You're inserting yourself into the game at that point.

So basically, the ref has to be right and it has to be egregious to call it. And that clearly was not the case. Guy probably line up in that position 50 times in a game and the ref decided to call it at that time?!? It was terrible.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I mentioned this yesterday. What really bugs me about the call is the situation and the fact that the ref had time to think about it. It's third and five so the ref KNEW he was basically granting them a huge first down. You're inserting yourself into the game at that point.

So basically, the ref has to be right and it has to be egregious to call it. And that clearly was not the case. Guy probably line up in that position 50 times in a game and the ref decided to call it at that time?!? It was terrible.
exactly...9/10 times that call isn't made. You just don't call that in that game sitch if your the ref. The refs job isn't to affect the outcome of the game...its to make the routine call at the right time. Refs get an F. Gregory ***** up on the punter..but the facemask should have been a no call...it grazed the FM...and the neutral zone infraction was a damn joke. Von Miller for example, lines up much worse than that down after down and it isn't called!!! Such double standards.