PFT: Holmgren To The Cowboys??

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2501310 said:
True, and looking back, how successful was that experiment? We had some good and some not so good draft picks, and made the playoffs in 2 out of his 4 years here. We still haven't won a playoff game since 1996.

Even if it didn't work out as well as we hoped, it at least started us on the right path.

As far as Holmgren goes, I'd be fine with it if it happened. I think our weapons would shine in a WCO. I'd prefer to keep Wade as HC though. We just got the defense we all have been wanting for the last 10 years. We actually have it now and to change?

Eeeeh. I'd rather not.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Holmgren is overrated and a tired old fart. If he comes here, we are screwed. I don't want anything to do with that waste of walrus skin.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
What about Green Bay? Someone has to take the fall for that horrible decision to let Favre go. Say what you will, Rodgers has been okay, but I can't help but feel Favre would have taken this team further, he did last year.

Is it a stretch to see McCarthy take the fall, and Holmgren come home?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2501470 said:
What about Green Bay? Someone has to take the fall for that horrible decision to let Favre go. Say what you will, Rodgers has been okay, but I can't help but feel Favre would have taken this team further, he did last year.

Is it a stretch to see McCarthy take the fall, and Holmgren come home?

I can't see Holmgren going back to Greenbay. Old coaches who had success, going back to their former team to try and save them, generally don't last long or do very well because the expectations are set to ridiculus heights because of where the team was when they left previously.

Joe Gibbs is a prime example of this.

thisisepic

One and Done
Reaction score
Sarge;2501329 said:
Holmgren is overrated and a tired old fart. If he comes here, we are screwed. I don't want anything to do with that waste of walrus skin.

Exactly, I don't have any problems with our coaching staff as it stands now except for Stewart.

Many hate on Garret and I dont fully understand why, he led our offense into a record breaking year last year, if anything be pissed Wade wasnt calling the defense last year.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Sarge;2501329 said:

Someday you will come out of your shell and tell us what you really think. :)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have nothing against Holmgren and think he is a fine coach but I would just as soon stay with the staff that we have right now instead of once again changing systems and starting over. The window of opportunity only stays open for just so long why waste time by changing staffs at the drop of a hat.

Givincer

Reaction score
I really like Mike Holmgren a lot. It's just, we have no need for him.

We've already got a head coach who happens to be 22-9, and who has turned our defense into something to be feared. And we can't exactly ask for anything more offensively either, in my opinion. We have our coaches that we need. Changing coaches every few years is not something you want to do if you don't need to.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Givincer;2501841 said:
I really like Mike Holmgren a lot. It's just, we have no need for him.

We've already got a head coach who happens to be 22-9, and who has turned our defense into something to be feared. And we can't exactly ask for anything more offensively either, in my opinion. We have our coaches that we need. Changing coaches every few years is not something you want to do if you don't need to.

That is exactly right that is what I expect out of these losing teams who hire and fire coaches at will. They never get anywhere’s because their players are constantly trying to figure out a new system. Best thing Jerry could do is stay the course

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Our last two coaching changes, his name has surfaced. And to me, i've always thought it was a thing of bad timing or he would've been here. When Parcells came here, he had just gotten settled in Seattle. Then when Wade came here, he was just coming off a Super Bowl with that team.

IMO, it will happen eventually. Be it this next year or the year later.

And personally, I can't really think of too many coaching options that would be better. Nor can I think of any coach that might be better for Romo either. For if he truly is just like Favre, as his style and time growing do seem to be playing towards that, then honestly, I can't think of anybody whom would be better for Romo. Not too mention the amount of respect I'd imagine Romo just naturally has for Holmgram having grown up a Packer/Favre fan.

My only question would be defensively. Could we keep Wade for DC? Is there someone whom could do just as well with our 3/4 if given a chance?

Then as for Norv coming here to be OC. I just don't like the idea, or care for it in the least. His time has come and gone in this league and he's done nothing great since leaving us. Also too much similarity to what Jason does. We wouldn't benefit very greatly imo making that change. I'd just as soon keep Jason, a kid with a young, sharp, developing mind in this game.