News: PFT: Jerry Jones unsurprised owner misconduct included in argument on behalf of Deshaun Watson

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You must not spend a lot of time on the internet if this is the dumbest thing you ever heard :)

First hit on a quick google search

"The victims trafficked within the illicit massage parlor business are typically women between the ages of 35 and 55, flown in from abroad or recent immigrants to the country (typically from South Korea and China), who speak little English, have children, and are desperate to support their families or pay off existing debts"

https://www.easyllama.com/blog/human-trafficking-massage-parlor

Maybe not the most hard-hitting site but I'm sure the information is based on actual research.

So human trafficking is older women that want to come here? Thats not the human trafficking people talk about.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
So human trafficking is older women that want to come here? Thats not the human trafficking people talk about.

On another note, I worked at Friendly's a long time ago and the waitresses used to have to ask their tables if they wanted a happy ending. At the time it was a sundae and I thought nothing of it until I was a bit older and realized what that meant. I think they still might offer it.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Kraft wasn’t sued by the massage Place for sexual misconduct. He got caught via a sting or police raid or something. He was never accused of sexual assault. Or maybe I don’t remember it correctly. But I don’t think what Kraft did is on the same level as what Watson did.
He didn't get charged because his lawyer got the tape thrown out. Without the tape they had no CRIMINAL CASE..... but, I can't count the number ofv times in this forum people brought up the fact criminal charges need not be filed for a player to get suspended. The Kradt case was a joke.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Never said he shouldn’t be held accountable. Said what he got caught doing was not on the same level as Watson.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But we all agreed that Zeke's suspension/punishment was far to excessive...

So, when you look at it under the guides that the league unfairly, over punished Zeke AND since the League and PA negotiated the new "trial style" judgment proceedings to make things fair. You can't look at past overreactions for precedent. This logic will just continue to over punish people and keep the broken cycle.
Ok so let's look at Calvin Ridley. The league is essentially saying gambling is worse than 30 woman accusing Watson of sexual assault. The way they are ruling is not consistent. The NFL isn't the court of law but they tried to pretend to be and it backfired.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Kraft wasn’t sued by the massage Place for sexual misconduct. He got caught via a sting or police raid or something. He was never accused of sexual assault. Or maybe I don’t remember it correctly. But I don’t think what Kraft did is on the same level as what Watson did.

It was a massage palor where there was sex trafficking going on. Most of the workers there were kidnapped and forced into sex labor.

It was under the guise of a massage palor.

sulu1701

Reaction score
This is an observation, that I found interesting

The six-game duration of the suspension was not random

Remember, Robinson first decided she was not starting from a six-game baseline but from one of three games or fewer, based on precedent set by other nonviolent sexual assault cases. As "aggravating factors" (that is, reasons to increase the suspension), she cites Watson's "lack of expressed remorse and his tardy notice to the NFL of the first-filed lawsuit." As "mitigating factors" (that is, reasons to go easier on him), she cites "he is a first-time offender and had an excellent reputation in his community prior to these events. He cooperated and has paid restitution."

Very interestingly, she also notes the league could have placed Watson on the commissioner's exempt list last year and chose not to, which she appears to think means the league didn't consider his behavior worthy of such punishment until it saw the public reaction to it. She makes that clear in her conclusion when she writes, "The NFL may be a 'forward-facing' organization, but it is not necessarily a forward-looking one. Just as the NFL responded to violent conduct after a public outcry, so it seems the NFL is responding to yet another public outcry about Mr. Watson's conduct."

Robinson writes that she settled on six games because it is the largest suspension ever imposed for nonviolent sexual conduct but that Watson's behavior is more egregious than the behavior that led to previous suspensions for nonviolent sexual conduct.

cowboyed

Reaction score
What is strange about this is Kraft has the resources to take his private jet to Las Vegas and get serviced legally. Instead, he took his private jet to Florida and got serviced at a shady Asian massage parlor which are notorious for being involved in human trafficking.

Makes logistical sense. I bet this was a referral and maybe employees at the Ft. Lauderdale massage parlor are truly capable masseuses as well as sex workers so in effect Kraft shrewdly was getting more "bang for his buck". Creepy, rich old fart!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Ok so let's look at Calvin Ridley. The league is essentially saying gambling is worse than 30 woman accusing Watson of sexual assault. The way they are ruling is not consistent. The NFL isn't the court of law but they tried to pretend to be and it backfired.
To the NFL or any major sport, gambling is the worst thing you can do. If it gets out the game could be fixed people will stop gambling. We talking about billions of dollars not thousands if you let a wife beater or rapist play in a game. Sadly money talks and bs walks.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
To the NFL or any major sport, gambling is the worst thing you can do. If it gets out the game could be fixed people will stop gambling. We talking about billions of dollars not thousands if you let a wife beater or rapist play in a game. Sadly money talks and bs walks.
It’s the worst thing for any major sport yet they make billions off gambling, gambling sponsors and just moved a team to Vegas. Money or not, it’s still not right. Suspending Ridley one year is t the issue. Watson getting 6 games is the issue here.

cmoney23

Reaction score
Two big things to look at here though.
1. Having even the perception that someone within the NFL (Players, coaches, refs, etc) gambling on the games would be devastating to the NFL.
Here is a quote:
In a letter to Ridley notifying him of his suspension, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wrote, "Your actions put the integrity of the game at risk, threatened to damage public confidence in professional football, and potentially undermined the reputations of your fellow players throughout the NFL.

"For decades, gambling on NFL games has been considered among the most significant violations of league policy warranting the most substantial sanction. In your case, I acknowledge and commend you for your promptly reporting for an interview, and for admitting your actions."

You have to "drop the hammer" per se in this situation.

2. Gambling is a policy under the CBA (https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2018 Policies/2018 Gambling Policy - FINAL.pdf)... it's not subjective like Personal Conduct. It wasn't argued and reviewed by an independent arbiter. The Desean Watson case was and under the new rules, the discipline was taken OUT OF THE NFL's hand. Also, the NFL only brought forward 5 women (4 testified) because the NFL's investigation only found those 5 of the TWENTY FOUR (not thirty) accusations to be "credible".

I guess I look at this differently... we all agree that the NFL over-punished players and it wasn't fair. So the players negotiated and changed the way it was done and they get someone else to give a 'fair' ruling and people look to the unfair rulings as precedent. THAT'S NONSENSE!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
<snip>

“It is a standard Players Association comeback,” Jones told Hill. ”That is the drill. That is the drill to go around to say you didn’t punish such and such. Anybody would know that every player case and every case that involves non-players in the NFL are dealing with dramatically different principle facts, which is all the difference in the world.”

<snip>

Jones said the argument was “not unexpected.”

“It would be like walking down to the courthouse and saying, ‘You didn’t give that guy that much,’ and not take into account what the action was or the circumstances behind it,” Jones told Hill. “That’s called shooting volleys. That’s just shooting stuff over your back. That’s the way I look at it when I see something like that.”

<snip>

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...behalf-of-deshaun-watson/?ref=NewsReadery.com

Shooting volleys. Thanks, Jerry Jones, for introducing more hillbilly jive into everyday vocabulary.

Jones is right. Punishment is respective of crime committed. The punishment for a felony should never be the same as or less than a misdemeanor. That is 'fair'.

However, lesser punishment for so-called less offenses is not automatically fair either depending on the culprit. For example, a player and an owner commit the same offense that carries a punishment of a six-game suspension and a $500,000 fine. The player losing six game checks and paying a half million out of pocket might still be seen as getting a slap on the wrist.

On the other hand, an owner would laugh in the face of such punishment. Six games? Head out on the yacht for six weeks. $500K fine? That is a drop in the bucket for a billionaire.

These are things Jones would consider before making his defense before the peoples' court. Maybe he should think about not taking a shooting volley for the Billionaire Team Owner Club, shut up and let the mess work its own way out without him adding his two cents.

But it is Jones, so meh.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Two big things to look at here though.
1. Having even the perception that someone within the NFL (Players, coaches, refs, etc) gambling on the games would be devastating to the NFL.
Here is a quote:
In a letter to Ridley notifying him of his suspension, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wrote, "Your actions put the integrity of the game at risk, threatened to damage public confidence in professional football, and potentially undermined the reputations of your fellow players throughout the NFL.

"For decades, gambling on NFL games has been considered among the most significant violations of league policy warranting the most substantial sanction. In your case, I acknowledge and commend you for your promptly reporting for an interview, and for admitting your actions."

You have to "drop the hammer" per se in this situation.

2. Gambling is a policy under the CBA (https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2018 Policies/2018 Gambling Policy - FINAL.pdf)... it's not subjective like Personal Conduct. It wasn't argued and reviewed by an independent arbiter. The Desean Watson case was and under the new rules, the discipline was taken OUT OF THE NFL's hand. Also, the NFL only brought forward 5 women (4 testified) because the NFL's investigation only found those 5 of the TWENTY FOUR (not thirty) accusations to be "credible".

I guess I look at this differently... we all agree that the NFL over-punished players and it wasn't fair. So the players negotiated and changed the way it was done and they get someone else to give a 'fair' ruling and people look to the unfair rulings as precedent. THAT'S NONSENSE!
I get the harsh rules on gambling. I’m not getting how what Watson did doesn’t at least equate to what Watson did.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Watson, is a perverted and freaky young man, and he needs help. Many are looking at the number of women involved, but one is too many. I still don't understand how the investigation netted all of these women, with the same stories, and no other similarities. How did he find them? Did any of them know any others? How involved were the Texans in this setup? Who are the multiple partners? What exactly, did he do?

Robinson, refused to set NFL precedent. Mr. Goodell is speaking out now that he has turned it over to a colleague. I wonder how critical the owners will be the next time one of their peers get into a precarious situation?