PFT: Jets reportedly interested in trading up with the Saints for the No. 2 pick

kartr

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I bet he is going to be the best of the top 3 QBs within 3 years.

Why? I saw him against LSU and he's a good athlete and all and competitive,but didn't show that he was a difference maker. The Jets talent-wise on offense aren't all that good either, besides, he tends to throw into coverage a lot.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The best QB prospect to come out recently is Carson Palmer. I don't know that anybody can question that. Leinart could not hold Palmer's jock IMO. I would say that Roth is a better prospect as well. I would say that Lefty is probably better. In short, I don't think as highly of Leinart as some may. Not saying he won't be a decent QB in the NFL but I don't see him as an elite QB prospect by any means.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I bet he is going to be the best of the top 3 QBs within 3 years.

In three years, you may be right. In five years, it could be Young.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kartr said:
Why? I saw him against LSU and he's a good athlete and all and competitive,but didn't show that he was a difference maker. The Jets talent-wise on offense aren't all that good either, besides, he tends to throw into coverage a lot.
Becasue he will start right away and get acclimated. He has a good young football mind as his HC and every Draft scout in the nation is calling him the next Brett Favre because of his toughness, arm, and love for the game. In short, whether he goes #2 or #4, which is where the Jets should take him, I think he will turn out to be the best of the 3.

Leinart has all the headlines. Young has the flash. This guy will have the heart. That will be the difference.

JMO.

VirusX

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Cutler will go before Lienart AND be a better QB in the NFL. I've watched him play and seen every highlight and lowlight being here in Nashville. Trust me, Cutler is all that and a bag of chips.

No crap, Cutler is a much better prospect then Leinart. Leinart is a smart QB in a good system. Cutler has ALL the tools to be a great NFL QB.

Leinart will go for the throw he knows he can make easily and not get picked off.

Cutler will do what it takes to make the play. Cutler is more athletic and has a better arm. They both can make the throws accurately with touch if needed. IMO and quite a few others Cutler is the better QB out of those 2.

I also think Leinart might pull an Aaron Rogers during the draft. Because of the need he wont fall as far but will still probably fall.

If we didnt have a QB in the wings to develope I would LOVE to get Cutler or Young. I would still love it even if we do have Henson. Im all for the better young QB to get the chance.

VirusX

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Becasue he will start right away and get acclimated. He has a good young football mind as his HC and every Draft scout in the nation is calling him the next Brett Favre because of his toughness, arm, and love for the game. In short, whether he goes #2 or #4, which is where the Jets should take him, I think he will turn out to be the best of the 3.

Leinart has all the headlines. Young has the flash. This guy will have the heart. That will be the difference.

JMO.

I do see that Hos, he does remind you of a young Brett. I really do think Cutler will be an "Elite" NFL QB.

kartr

Reaction score
Hostile said:

JMO.

We'll see, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. Didn't you see Young's heart in the Rosebowl when his team was down 38-29 in the fourth quarter,plus there were no first round quality rb's or wr's to help him out.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
VirusX said:
No crap, Cutler is a much better prospect then Leinart. Leinart is a smart QB in a good system. Cutler has ALL the tools to be a great NFL QB.

I had no idea people watched this much Vanderbilt football.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Rack said:
I'm not saying Leinart isn't a good prospect. But "best in years" is ludicrous.

Ludicrous? This is what's funny, how a guy who's done everything right can be so ridiculously overlooked. 4th and 9, trailing 13-28 to Notre Dame throws a perfect pass to a covered receiver that goes for 61 yards, then QB sneaks a TD with 3 seconds left. Awesome. If this guys isn't the best prospect in years, then who is?

Leinert has been a more successful college QB than any of Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Michael Vick, and Chad Pennington (the best prospects the six years of this decade thus far). That's a fact, not fiction.

Of that whole list let's compare with Manning and Palmer, the most successful and highly touted prospects.

Leinert: In three college seasons: 34 consecutive wins, 10,693 yards (3564/year) 807 completions (269/year), career 64.8% completion rate, 99 career touchdowns (33/year), 23 ints (7/year), 4.8 40. Oh yeah... National Championship and Heisman Trophy winner, 2-time Heisman candidate-- who was eligible to vote and voted for a teammate the second time. Pros: size, natural leader, tough, productive, very accurate, character, decision making, intangibles, "ice in his veins" according to Wright, getting better. Cons: Good not great arm strength, "long" release, two arm surgeries from which he missed no time.

Palmer: In four college seasons 11,818 yards (2954/year), 59.08% completion rate, 927 completions (231/year), 72 career touchdowns (18/year), and the Heisman Trophy. Pros: physical specimen, arm strength, passing touch, mobility, accuracy. Cons: one good season, inconsistent and streaky passer, average leadership, slow delivery, follows primary receiver too long, inconsistent deep ball. Palmer's best season isn't as good as Leinert's worst.

Manning In three+ seasons 9,860 yards, 60.5% completion percentage, 807 completions, 79 TD passes, 7.27 YPA., 4.9 40 Pros: Size, brains, tough, great competitor, family. Cons: thin legs, bad decision making under pressure, fumbles, not mobile, doesn't handle the blitz well.

VirusX

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I had no idea people watched this much Vanderbilt football.

There's part of the problem. People watch a lot of Leinart because of the bandwagoners. Oh look this team is winning a lot lets watch them because we are "fans" and then anoint Leinart the greatest thing since sliced bread; when in reality if you put Joe Schmoe in the same spot he would look a lot better then he really is. Im not saying Leinart is an avg or worthless QB just stating he is not as good a prospect as Cutler IMO.

neosapien23

Reaction score
VirusX said:
There's part of the problem. People watch a lot of Leinart because of the bandwagoners. Oh look this team is winning a lot lets watch them because we are "fans" and then anoint Leinart the greatest thing since sliced bread; when in reality if you put Joe Schmoe in the same spot he would look a lot better then he really is. Im not saying Leinart is an avg or worthless QB just stating he is not as good a prospect as Cutler IMO.

We will see. I think Leinhart will be an efficient quarterback just like Chad Pennington before his injury. Culter has better physical attributes, but he doesn't have Leinhart's intelligence and cool demeanor. He didn't look all that impressive at the Senior Bowl.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Ludicrous? This is what's funny, how a guy who's done everything right can be so ridiculously overlooked. 4th and 9, trailing 13-28 to Notre Dame throws a perfect pass to a covered receiver that goes for 61 yards, then QB sneaks a TD with 3 seconds left. Awesome. If this guys isn't the best prospect in years, then who is?

Leinert has been a more successful college QB than any of Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Michael Vick, and Chad Pennington (the best prospects the six years of this decade thus far). That's a fact, not fiction.

Of that whole list let's compare with Manning and Palmer, the most successful and highly touted prospects.

Leinert: In three college seasons: 34 consecutive wins, 10,693 yards (3564/year) 807 completions (269/year), career 64.8% completion rate, 99 career touchdowns (33/year), 23 ints (7/year), 4.8 40. Oh yeah... National Championship and Heisman Trophy winner, 2-time Heisman candidate-- who was eligible to vote and voted for a teammate the second time. Pros: size, natural leader, tough, productive, very accurate, character, decision making, intangibles, "ice in his veins" according to Wright, getting better. Cons: Good not great arm strength, "long" release, two arm surgeries from which he missed no time.

Palmer: In four college seasons 11,818 yards (2954/year), 59.08% completion rate, 927 completions (231/year), 72 career touchdowns (18/year), and the Heisman Trophy. Pros: physical specimen, arm strength, passing touch, mobility, accuracy. Cons: one good season, inconsistent and streaky passer, average leadership, slow delivery, follows primary receiver too long, inconsistent deep ball. Palmer's best season isn't as good as Leinert's worst.

Manning In three+ seasons 9,860 yards, 60.5% completion percentage, 807 completions, 79 TD passes, 7.27 YPA., 4.9 40 Pros: Size, brains, tough, great competitor, family. Cons: thin legs, bad decision making under pressure, fumbles, not mobile, doesn't handle the blitz well.

Putting up great stats does not make you a great prospect ask any of the run and shoot QB's. I beleive all of these QB's are a bit overhyped when projecting them to the Pro Level, I have not seen a lot of Cutler but what he did with the talent he had in that Conference has to be respected.