News: PFT: Mayock calls Carson Wentz the draft’s best quarterback

NewsBot

Reaction score
It’s primary season in the NFL draft campaign, and North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz just picked up a big endorsement. Mike Mayock of NFL Network came out with his first draft rankings of the year, and Wentz is atop Mayock’s quarterback list. Jared Goff of Cal and Paxton Lynch of Memphis are, as expected,…http://youwillnotrackme2.net/b.gif?host=profootballtalk.nbcsports.com&blog=&post=2379250&subd=nbcprofootballtalk&ref=&feed=1

Continue reading...

conner01

Reaction score
No big shock
I think he is the best prospect at QB
That said I think he is far from ready to start in the nfl myself. If a team drafts him and throws him in there right away I think that would be a mistake
Bring him along, let him develope mentally to the nfl and he can be a good one
Put him in Cleveland and he will struggle

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No big shock
I think he is the best prospect at QB
That said I think he is far from ready to start in the nfl myself. If a team drafts him and throws him in there right away I think that would be a mistake
Bring him along, let him develope mentally to the nfl and he can be a good one
Put him in Cleveland and he will struggle

I agree with you about him struggling in Cleveland, but I see them ultimately going witg a different guy who would struggle immediately, Paxton Lynch. I think Paxton will inch out Wentz and Goff in there eyes due his combination pf rocket arm and good touch. Very rare for a prospect to have both and very coveted. But he really isnt any more pro ready then Wentz

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I agree with you about him struggling in Cleveland, but I see them ultimately going witg a different guy who would struggle immediately, Paxton Lynch. I think Paxton will inch out Wentz and Goff in there eyes due his combination pf rocket arm and good touch. Very rare for a prospect to have both and very coveted. But he really isnt any more pro ready then Wentz

They just need to take the guy they think will be better in 5 years. Not the guy who can play right away. If thats what they're looking for, they have already failed. If thats the case, they should just take Connor Cook. He's probably the most pro ready QB in the draft. If they are smart, they will draft the guy they think is going to turn into a franchise QB regardless of how ready they may be in 2016. I would hope we do the same thing.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He says the Titans may want to move out of the pick..

I can't imagine that. Tunsil should be there pick. They just drafted their QB last year and now they have an opportunity to get the best guy in the draft who just happens to play Left Tackle.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This guy is like the kiss of death.

Remember when he compared Manziel to Steve Young? Jeez.

I don't get why people get killed for these comparisons.

He saw some of Steve Young in Manziels game. There is nothing wrong with saying that.

He never said Manziel is going to produce and have a Steve Young career. There is a difference.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get why people get killed for these comparisons.

He saw some of Steve Young in Manziels game. There is nothing wrong with saying that.

He never said Manziel is going to produce and have a Steve Young career. There is a difference.

In general...People will either misunderstand what is said or in other cases find whatever they can to try and dismiss one of these guys opinions if it does not mesh with their own.

I don't know what his track record is in evaluating QBs.

Was thinking it was pretty good with some Olinemen and DBs but otherwise rather run of the mill...and I could be mistaken on the Oline I just remember he was a huge homer for Zack but that could have just been due to him and his ND duties.

Sydla

Reaction score
He says the Titans may want to move out of the pick..

I can't imagine that. Tunsil should be there pick. They just drafted their QB last year and now they have an opportunity to get the best guy in the draft who just happens to play Left Tackle.

Rumor is Tennessee realizes they need a lot more than just a LT so if they can get a bunch of picks, they'd consider moving out of that spot.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why wouldn't the Titans want to move out? They'd swap with the Cowboys in a second. More picks and still get the guy they want.

As far as I'm concerned the Cowboys are picking 1st in this draft. That pick is theirs if they want it and if they have a franchise grade on any of these QBs they should want it. Not sit back and hope Cleveland doesn't take their guy.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why wouldn't the Titans want to move out? They'd swap with the Cowboys in a second. More picks and still get the guy they want.

As far as I'm concerned the Cowboys are picking 1st in this draft. That pick is theirs if they want it and if they have a franchise grade on any of these QBs they should want it. Not sit back and hope Cleveland doesn't take their guy.

And they would fleece Jerry and we would hear about that fleecing for years because you know when Jerry gets a glimmer in his eye over a player and decides he wants to trade up, he is not known for getting the better end of the deal.

Can't remember if it was goose or maybe norm or someone else who said something like...If Jerry was in the painting of the dogs playing poker he would be the one wagging his tail.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Or he raved about Jamarcus Russell.

Paxton Lynch, please.

YR

A lot of teams like JAmarcus Russell.

That's the thing.. The all knowing NFL scouts that nobody is ever supposed to question because they supposedly know more than anyone are the guys picking the Jamarcus Russells.

QB is the toughest position to pick and I think you can screw a guy up just by the situation. I don't think Tom Brady is Tom Brady in Cleveland or Oakland if that is where he is drafted.

I'm with all these guys on Carson Wentz. I think he is an incredible prospect and is the perfect guy to let sit behind Romo.

Hardline

Reaction score
If the Cowboys move up I will be livid. I would absolutely love to have Tunsil but I will not give up a premium draft pick to get him. Myles Jack could easily be there at 4 so I stay put.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Cowboys move up I will be livid. I would absolutely love to have Tunsil but I will not give up a premium draft pick to get him. Myles Jack could easily be there at 4 so I stay put.

If they move up, they do not move up to take Tunsil. They move up ONLY to ensure they get the QB they believe is a future Franchise QB for them.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I just don't see Carson Wentz in the mold of Andrew Luck or Cam Newton, so I wouldn't want to see us give up a king's ransom to go up and get Wentz.

We have other needs too.

Hardline

Reaction score
If they move up, they do not move up to take Tunsil. They move up ONLY to ensure they get the QB they believe is a future Franchise QB for them.

The only sure thing in the top of the draft is Tunsil.