News: PFT: Mayock calls Carson Wentz the draft’s best quarterback

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only sure thing in the top of the draft is Tunsil.

That is your opinion, and I happen to agree with it.

However my statement remains the same...IF they trade up, it would not be for tunsil.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which is why they are not trading up.

Never said they were. Said IF they were it would not be for Tunsil. I don't even think they take Tunsil if he falls right into their lap at four so frankly Tunsil has no bearing on anything of what i was talking about.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
A lot of teams like JAmarcus Russell.

That's the thing.. The all knowing NFL scouts that nobody is ever supposed to question because they supposedly know more than anyone are the guys picking the Jamarcus Russells.

QB is the toughest position to pick and I think you can screw a guy up just by the situation. I don't think Tom Brady is Tom Brady in Cleveland or Oakland if that is where he is drafted.

I'm with all these guys on Carson Wentz. I think he is an incredible prospect and is the perfect guy to let sit behind Romo.

I liked Jamarcus Russell.

It really goes to show you that scouts are somewhat overrated and the GM is the most overrated position in the NFL.

Almost every team had Russell as the #1 QB in their draft based purely on talent and skill. If not, they had him #2.

It's more about the HC and the coaching staff's ability to develop talent. Scott Pioli wasn't a genius in New England and then lost his genius football mind in KC. The same with Bobby Beatherd in Washington going to San Diego. Or Jerry Angelo suddenly becoming a genius when Lovie Smith took over the Bears.

The vast majority of players are rated about the same from the vast majority of teams. The key is finding players that are gritty, have a great work ethic and having a staff that knows how to develop that talent.

So Mayock saying that Wentz is the #1 QB really means virtually nothing either way.

YR

tyke1doe

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I thought Jamarcus Russell was going to be a bust.
I'm not scout. But I can tell work ethic. He didn't have it.
Neither did Clowney, and I said before the draft he would be a bust.
There are other guys who have that "intangible" factor. You can't quantify it, but you know it when you see it. That's what Russell Wilson has. That's what Ty Lockett has.
Another guy who I think has it from the college ranks (though he won't be eligible until next year) is Marlon Humphreys, the corner from Alabama.
Mark my words, he's going to be a good one.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Didn't Russell fail because he was disinterested in the game? Got to be one of the most difficult things to predict, how a guy reacts to millions of dollars.

Sydla

Reaction score
Or he raved about Jamarcus Russell.

Paxton Lynch, please.

YR

Actually I don't think Mayock did that at all. He said he was one of the most physically gifted QBs to come out of college but he had major concerns with him - weight, mental make up, etc. He was pretty hestitant on Russell.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I thought Jamarcus Russell was going to be a bust.
I'm not scout. But I can tell work ethic. He didn't have it.
Neither did Clowney, and I said before the draft he would be a bust.
There are other guys who have that "intangible" factor. You can't quantify it, but you know it when you see it. That's what Russell Wilson has. That's what Ty Lockett has.
Another guy who I think has it from the college ranks (though he won't be eligible until next year) is Marlon Humphreys, the corner from Alabama.
Mark my words, he's going to be a good one.

I had Russell as a bust as well.

He was overrated in college I thought and he played on great teams.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The only sure thing in the top of the draft is Tunsil.

I'm not even sure about that....the fact he got up to 400lbs in college makes me wonder...what is this kid gonna do once he can afford food?..and lots of it....:rolleyes:

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I can absolutely guarantee with 0% margin for error, there will be people in here agreeing and applauding Mayock for his comments on Wentz that will turn around and bash Mayock in other threads and say he knows nothing.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Why wouldn't the Titans want to move out? They'd swap with the Cowboys in a second. More picks and still get the guy they want.

As far as I'm concerned the Cowboys are picking 1st in this draft. That pick is theirs if they want it and if they have a franchise grade on any of these QBs they should want it. Not sit back and hope Cleveland doesn't take their guy.

I honestly think the Cowboys will pass on any of the top 3 QB's to my chagrin, I truly think they will pass and grab a defender instead!

This is not what ideally I want them to do, I just think they are not going to grab a QB high this year and add the McGee type in the later rounds, hopefully this is wrong!

Look for the FA back up and late draft pick solution from Dallas, if they pull the trigger on Wentz or Goff I would be shocked!

reddyuta

Reaction score
I honestly think the Cowboys will pass on any of the top 3 QB's to my chagrin, I truly think they will pass and grab a defender instead!

This is not what ideally I want them to do, I just think they are not going to grab a QB high this year and add the McGee type in the later rounds, hopefully this is wrong!

Look for the FA back up and late draft pick solution from Dallas, if they pull the trigger on Wentz or Goff I would be shocked!

If they dont get one of the top 3 then its better to pass on the rest than to waste a pick on a talentless Qb.