News: PFT: Mike McCarthy: I'm the one who has the most to learn in Cowboys' offense

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I will never understand this. McCarthy's expertise is offense its his whole life in coaching.

He was fired then embarrassed by rodgers and he spends a year studying like every team and every player so he says. He has a group of other coaches and they are studying schemes, trends etc....

Then he goes through the interview process and it looks like he has a few jobs to pick from and He ends up choosing Dallas.

Then one of the first things he does is keep Kellen Moore and says he will call plays so Dak doesn't have to learn a new offense.

None of this makes sense to me. Mccarthy has this chance to rebound his career and be considered among the best of the best in head coaches like his record says he is. Yet he is giving up Play Calling and running a different offense? again, this makes no sense.

McCarthy played in a small market where everyone loves everything the team does, no matter how good they were or how many criminals they had on the packers they were going to be treated like america's sweethearts and underdogs....now he is in the division with the top tv markets, a more demanding fan base that will turn on him 100% its just a matter of time and everything he does will be scrutinized incessantly.

So if you are trying to prove you are a great coach, your career is in offense, you spent a full year studying offenses and you are on record as saying that you should call your own plays then what is going on here? Dak is in his 5th year and they are about to give him more money than anyone else why cant he learn McCarthy's offense since mcCarthy will be here at least the length of his contract?

the only think I can compare it to is Parcells liking Zimmer and realizing there was talent on defense and he didn't want to shake it up that first year because there was so much other work to be done. The comparison doesn't really line up though because Dallas has the personnel to run any offense and back then the cowboys were way to small to play the 3-4 Parcells wanted.

I don't know I just don't get it.

the HC in Dallas doesn’t have GM duties.

this isn’t Seattle.

Big Mike didn’t have that power in GB.

Jerry wants KMoore calling the shots on O.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Under the circumstances it's probably better that they didn't change the offense with so little time to work together this off season. But as you noted the decision to not change the offense was made before anyone knew mini camps would be cancelled, OTAs limited, etc..

he’s been HC for 7 months.

he’s not In control of the offense.

MikeB80

Reaction score
the HC in Dallas doesn’t have GM duties.

this isn’t Seattle.

Big Mike didn’t have that power in GB.

Jerry wants KMoore calling the shots on O.

I don't understand any part of this comment. Is it meant to make McCarthy look like an awful hire?

quickccc

Reaction score
I will never understand this. McCarthy's expertise is offense its his whole life in coaching.

He was fired then embarrassed by rodgers and he spends a year studying like every team and every player so he says. He has a group of other coaches and they are studying schemes, trends etc....

Then he goes through the interview process and it looks like he has a few jobs to pick from and He ends up choosing Dallas.

Then one of the first things he does is keep Kellen Moore and says he will call plays so Dak doesn't have to learn a new offense.

None of this makes sense to me. Mccarthy has this chance to rebound his career and be considered among the best of the best in head coaches like his record says he is. Yet he is giving up Play Calling and running a different offense? again, this makes no sense.

McCarthy played in a small market where everyone loves everything the team does, no matter how good they were or how many criminals they had on the packers they were going to be treated like america's sweethearts and underdogs....now he is in the division with the top tv markets, a more demanding fan base that will turn on him 100% its just a matter of time and everything he does will be scrutinized incessantly.

So if you are trying to prove you are a great coach, your career is in offense, you spent a full year studying offenses and you are on record as saying that you should call your own plays then what is going on here? Dak is in his 5th year and they are about to give him more money than anyone else why cant he learn McCarthy's offense since mcCarthy will be here at least the length of his contract?

the only think I can compare it to is Parcells liking Zimmer and realizing there was talent on defense and he didn't want to shake it up that first year because there was so much other work to be done. The comparison doesn't really line up though because Dallas has the personnel to run any offense and back then the cowboys were way to small to play the 3-4 Parcells wanted.

- With the dynamics of contract situation and the pandemic crisis that has wiped out the entire off season, no team OTA's.
no preseason time. and limited camp time, wouldn't it make more to stay with much of Kellen Moore's offense
which Dak is vastly more familiar with rather than crash coursing installing a totally different offensive system right now ?
if anything MM could gradually add bits and parts (such as his run game formations) as the season progresses on, but
i would think a full off season would be a better option than force-feeding his system with such little time to prepare otherwise.

- Frankly i wish i could get an exact on what this " same verbage,.. same terminology" that is constantly brought up,
but never fully explained what that exactly means.i'm hearing several seemingly regurgitate repeating what
they hear per media, but even from the media, i've yet to hear the terms explained ..so that leaves me guess working.

- Moore's development and philosophy foundation is more rhythm time based system that he's been honed and groomed
under both Linehan and Garrett ...while McCarthy's O-philosophy is West Coast Offense- but several here seem to dwell back on the WCO by its' creator in Bill Walsh and think has to be the same WCO version, but it's not.
Walsh was more of ball control by short pass game, methodical dink and dunk version of the Walsh, while time based is thrown to a
spot to the receiver on the move. It's more of a vertical push than the OC. but that's not to say WCO by today's standard doesn't emphasize
pushing the ball vertically.

- I'd like to look back and research some of MM's past years in GB, to see if he emphasized some of the same elements
(verbage? terminology?) that Kellen prefers and made the new pass offense stand out; ala pre-snap motion and formations, route designs, huddle pace, vertical push in pass game, etc. But i do very much doubt i will see RPO's with QB sneak n runs with Rodgers the way we've seen them with Dak.

quickccc

Reaction score
why? We have #1 offense.

https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings

yes,we had the no.1 offense in total yards, but how did we fair in red zone efficiency ?
We gobbled up yards in between the hashes, between the 20's, but wow many times did we bog down in red zone
and have to forced to rely on an erratic FG kicker ?

How did we fair vs the better ranked defenses last year?
How will we do vs the better ranked defenses THIS year?
Could our 5th ranked rushing offense be improved even more deadly with far more splash chunk run plays ?
Could our offense be improved to No.1 scoring offense in NFL ...more than No.1 in total yards ?

My point is that while Moore established a great foundation and accomplishment, but we cannot be satisfied to stand
on just that alone when there's much more room to improve and be better, more effective than what we were.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It's more so the preparedness, when to use certain plays, how to protect, when to throw, when to run, how to call a game that will be the difference here. Keep that in mind.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Agreed. But not so sure it was just Moore. JG always did that crap in the red zone. They expect us to run so we will totally fool them and pass 3 times in a row.
lets hope it was jg, but kellen was the one calling during the games. At what point would JG influence kellen? before games during game?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
He mentioned that he liked what Shannahan was doing in San Fran and I really think that is the most optimal offense for our players.

Zeke in a Shannahan run scheme would go bonkers.

However, Shannahan's offense doesn't need a top running back to make it work. It's done by committee. Wasn't their top back a UDFA?

Brax

Reaction score
How do you know that KM will run the same offense as Garrett? Maybe it was Garrett forcing him to run that boring offense?

The first few games of the season we ran a totally different offense. Then when we went into New Orleans that all was thrown out the window because KM was getting too much credit.
Everything is conjecture at this point, I look forward to what ever MM changes.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I have serious concerns that Moore was forced on MM by Jerry.

Jerry's safety valve for when he decides to take over again.

Yep, I know what he is saying, but I'm not sure MM would have let Moore come between getting this job or not if it was a requirement. It's not difficult to figure out how to say the right thing.

Not as if MM isnt an offensive type coach.

Moore hanging around is a concern that Jerry still doesnt get it, and may never.

75boyz

Reaction score

Yep to your whole line of questioning here 'til the cows come home brother. Makes absolutely no sense unless the end game is grooming Moore for a HC spot. Coach in training, sounds familiar.
Explained away as maintaining a sense of familiarity and continuity to the offense. Decisions seem somehat contradictory imo. Most all new coach staff hired with the illusion of Jerry's allowing this real coach with real skins on the wall and given real autonomous authority over the hiring of all his assistants.
Then Kellen is kept. It's almost as though the entire context of your post is disregarded and I agree it made no sense to me then or now.
Oh well, guess Moore will either be a scapegoat as to why the team doesn't win or the other extreme(I doubt cuz he's JJs holdover)...OR...He will be promoted as the next HC of the Cowboys if this current staff fails. I'm betting on the latter, lol.
Excellent post.

Last edited:

cowboyed

Reaction score
You know when you are just getting started and learning more about the current offensive system you have a right even as the head coach to make adjustments in your thinking and execution.

75boyz

Reaction score
I have serious concerns that Moore was forced on MM by Jerry.

Jerry's safety valve for when he decides to take over again.

Yep, I know what he is saying, but I'm not sure MM would have let Moore come between getting this job or not if it was a requirement. It's not difficult to figure out how to say the right thing.

Not as if MM isnt an offensive type coach.

Moore hanging around is a concern that Jerry still doesnt get it, and may never.

Great post.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
However, Shannahan's offense doesn't need a top running back to make it work. It's done by committee. Wasn't their top back a UDFA?

Most offenses just need their RB to receive volume to make it work.

Shannhanas schemes just turn almost anyone into a Pro Bowl player.

glimmerman

Reaction score
lets hope it was jg, but kellen was the one calling during the games. At what point would JG influence kellen? before games during game?
I am not sure. I do remember coaches like our RB coach in Moore’s ear during the game, so anything is possible. He should be more confident this year in his play calling. I could see MM influencing Moore at some point if things aren’t clicking.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I am not sure. I do remember coaches like our RB coach in Moore’s ear during the game, so anything is possible. He should be more confident this year in his play calling. I could see MM influencing Moore at some point if things aren’t clicking.
Many people have said JG took over offense, but they dont explain how it was done.
JG would have had to call plays and furnish the play sheet , to explain things, and all that without the jones boys knowing he was doing that.
It gets complicated lol.
Also what would be JG's plan?
Have kellen do poorly, have a no playoff season, and then JG would say you guys saddled me with kellen as OC , and if you let me
be OC again, I can take the team to the SB.
Jones boys had said he needed to get to the champ game or else, and also that they thought JG was the future lol so mixed signals there.
And as evidence, JG would not leave and they had the 2 meetings, where JG could have been arguing that if only he were OC things would
be different.
But it would be very hard to do , to control kellen and not have Jones boys find out or suspect something.

As for kellens early success, it was against 3 very weak teams, so that could make it seem like something changed, but really it was just
they were playing better teams.
I think Kellen being ex qb is prone to call more pass plays than he should, and maybe at times where he should call runs.
But then you have to wonder about dak changing from run to pass, I did hear a lot of kill kill last season.

I guess this season we will find out about kellen and dak too.