News: PFT: New CBA will make it harder to hold out

kskboys

Reaction score
Not only that "time on there contract" is moot

Contract states you get your base rate IF your on the roster. If your not on the roster then what is this magically "time" or "deal" that there breaking ?
And if they don't like that, don't sign the contract.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It's a business if they don't think you're worth the money you get cut.

A lot of people get laid off from their jobs for that same reason. So nfl players can't really complain. They get the option to take pay cuts and still make millions, normal peeps aren't so lucky.

And as a business, if you're performing at a higher rate than you're currently being paid, you can bargain for more. Don't see the problem with that.

And again, folks continue to bring what "normal people" make into the discussion when it has zero significance other than revealing a money grudge against players. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the POVs taken on the matter at all. Riiiight.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
because I was responding to only one perspective

You responded to only one perspective (which you later acknowledged is legit) that itself was responding to only one perspective. So what was your problem again?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Again, a fundamental misunderstanding of American contract law: liquidated damages.
not just contract law.... cmon, we have peole that read blatantly fals crap on Facebook and they believe it, and you are expecting them to understand written laws???????? bahahahahahahahahhahahah

visionary

Reaction score
You responded to only one perspective (which you later acknowledged is legit) that itself was responding to only one perspective. So what was your problem again?

maybe time to read my post and educate yourself

Froski

Reaction score
And as a business, if you're performing at a higher rate than you're currently being paid, you can bargain for more. Don't see the problem with that.

And again, folks continue to bring what "normal people" make into the discussion when it has zero significance other than revealing a money grudge against players. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the POVs taken on the matter at all. Riiiight.
If you bargain for more money, get said money and don't perform up to it. You.Get.Cut. You know....because thats how business works.

My statement about "normal people" was only how the world of business correlated with us. Because the question was "how someone felt about owners cutting someone because of cap hits" you see. Then i gave an answer by presenting something similar that happens in the common workplace.

Compensation for a 17th game, wages, work conditions and medical benefits are something totally different and they every right to fight for what they think they deserve.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
New CBA will make it harder to hold out - ProFootballTalk

GettyImages-1091508650-e1582243684250.jpg

First, the daily training-camp fines would become mandatory for players operating under their second contracts. That’s a huge difference, given that most teams usually wipe the slate clean once the player reports. So when, for example, a player incurs $40,000 per day for staying away from camp for 10 days, the full $400,000 comes from his pocket, and neither he nor the team can do anything about it.

And forget about $40,000 per day. Second, the amounts of the fines would be “substantially increased.” The specific numbers aren’t yet known.

Third, the player will lose an accrued season toward free agency by failing to show up for camp on town (time) or by leaving camp for more than five days. This would supersede the rule that removes an accrued year only if the player fails to report within 30 days before the first game of the regular season.

Read Full Story

just add the fines to the contract.

players still have leverage.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
you made an ignorant post and got called on it

Backtracking won’t help

Deal with it

How is asking a question of someone about the other side of what they were talking about in an effort to hear their thoughts an ignorant post? It was a question meant to spur discussion of a hardline stance taken.

You inserted yourself into my discussion with another person, ASSumptions blazing and then when YOU got called out for being one-sided, you then acknowledged the legitimacy of the position I was attempting to take with that other poster who was criticizing said position in the first place (backtracking, you say?). So if you were going to criticize my question seeking balance only to not actually disagree with the position I was taking, then as I said before, what was your problem again?

irving

Reaction score
I know the answer's beaten into the ground: If you are going to force player to live up to the contract and not hold out, then make the contracts fully guaranteed, like MLB and NHL.
The NFL will always be a joke regarding contracts, when comparing them to the NBA and MLB. I’m sure there are some on here that will cry for the multi billion dollar industry that is the NFL, but not me. Football is a dangerous brutal sport, contracts should be guaranteed, and if it’s to expensive for some owners, then they shouldn’t be in the league.

kskboys

Reaction score
The NFL will always be a joke regarding contracts, when comparing them to the NBA and MLB. I’m sure there are some on here that will cry for the multi billion dollar industry that is the NFL, but not me. Football is a dangerous brutal sport, contracts should be guaranteed, and if it’s to expensive for some owners, then they shouldn’t be in the league.
Absolutely.

At some point, this turned into a very stupid game of "I got more than you did, nanny nanny boo boo."

I wish they'd stop the insanity and pay player what they can afford, and get rid of those stupid last couple years of the contract that are huge, but will never be paid.