News: PFT: Randall Cobb calls Deshaun Watson "a winner," which sold him on Houston

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Since you are too lazy to read what Cobb said, I’ll explain it to you. Cobb’s comment was that Watson was a winner in high school and college. You asked what Watson has won, and the answer is that he has won exactly what Cobb said he won, so really it’s your comment that doesn’t mean anything because It was made without even understanding what you were questioning,
One last time! Maybe YOU will get it. Doesn’t mean a damned thing. A lot of NFL players were winners in high school and college. None of it means a damned thing. Understand?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I, of course, read the article before posting in the first place. For anyone who didn’t, he didn’t say anything at all to offset the obvious QB implication.
To offset it? That makes no sense. He wasn’t asked, nor was he making a comparison of the two QBs, so why would he be expected to offset anything? He was talking about his new team and QB, not talking down he previous ones.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One last time! Maybe YOU will get it. Doesn’t mean a damned thing. A lot of NFL players were winners in high school and college. None of it means a damned thing. Understand?

You don’t get it. Your question asking what he has won was already explained, by Cobb, In the article, yet you still asked what it is Watson had won because you didn’t bother reading what Cobb said. Cobb did not say Watson had won at the NFL level, yet because you only read the headline you responded as if he had.

Proof

Reaction score
He probably expected to lineup opposite of Hopkins with Fuller missing time consistently. I bet he has a rougher time than he thinks down there being successful. Houston could draft a star to fill the #1 role Hopkins left behind, but not too many rookies pull that off right away.

he signed after Hopkins was traded tho. That’s why I don’t put a lot of stock in what he said, even tho it does sound like a slight. Zero chance he believes they have a better shot with him in place of nuk

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To offset it? That makes no sense. He wasn’t asked, nor was he making a comparison of the two QBs, so why would he be expected to offset anything? He was talking about his new team and QB, not talking down he previous ones.

No, it makes perfect sense. He was talking about why he chose his new team when it’s we’ll known his old one wanted to resign him. And his stated reasons were the QB and the post-season opportunity.

Section446

Reaction score
The only people in the NFL that think Dak is anything special are the ones buying his jersey in Dallas.

Aven8

Reaction score
Watson is a winner no doubt. But O’Brien isn’t.

kskboys

Reaction score
Y'all do realize that when someone is called "a winner" it's a death sentence, right? Tebow, Vince Young, Manziel, McCarron, those are the type guys people keep referring to as "winners". It's almost like they know they guy can't play and can't really think of anything to say, so they use this meaningless and overused term.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
You don’t get it. Your question asking what he has won was already explained, by Cobb, In the article, yet you still asked what it is Watson had won because you didn’t bother reading what Cobb said. Cobb did not say Watson had won at the NFL level, yet because you only read the headline you responded as if he had.
I get it. You don’t seem to realize it’s immaterial. No one gives two ***** what he did in high school or college because neither makes a damned difference.

The reason Cobb signed with them is $$$. That’s the first, second, and third reason. He’s being PC by not saying it’s about the money. It’s always about the money.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, it makes perfect sense. He was talking about why he chose his new team when it’s we’ll known his old one wanted to resign him. And his stated reasons were the QB and the post-season opportunity.
No, he actually didn’t say he chose Houston because of the QB. He said he chose Houston because they have been to the playoffs 4 of 5 years and he feels they give him a chance to win. Then he talked up Watson. If he loved Watson but the team was going 8-8 and they weren’t paying him better than other teams he wouldn’t have chosen Houston.

Aside from all that though, players don’t routinely carefully calculate out exactly how to say things in just the right way so they can win points on one side while making subtly slighting another. Players going to new teams give the obligatory responses about how excited they are to be playing for their new team, how they feel the team has a chance to do big things, and naturally a receiver will lay a foundation for goodwill with his QB. Players do this all the time.

12+88=7

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the quarterback's and everything with having traded Hopkins.

Had Houston not traded Hopkins there would be no need for Cobb. Houston overpaid so Cobb wouldn't return to Dallas.

With no Hopkins, Cobb got more money and will get more targets. It was a no brainer to go with Houston.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get it. You don’t seem to realize it’s immaterial. No one gives two ***** what he did in high school or college because neither makes a damned difference.

The reason Cobb signed with them is $$$. That’s the first, second, and third reason. He’s being PC by not saying it’s about the money. It’s always about the money.
What you ridiculously don’t get is the question “what has he won” and the answer “the NCAA championship” has nothing to do with whether winning the NCAA championship will equate to winning in the NFL. This thread is about Cobb’s comments in an article, and my explaining to you what Cobb said he had won was just giving you the information you missed by not reading the article. It was not commentary on what having won the NCAA championship means, it was answering your question about what Cobb said Watson had won.

Again, you didn’t bother to read and understand what Cobb said, nor did you bother to understand what I wrote.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, he actually didn’t say he chose Houston because of the QB. He said he chose Houston because they have been to the playoffs 4 of 5 years and he feels they give him a chance to win. Then he talked up Watson. If he loved Watson but the team was going 8-8 and they weren’t paying him better than other teams he wouldn’t have chosen Houston.

Aside from all that though, players don’t routinely carefully calculate out exactly how to say things in just the right way so they can win points on one side while making subtly slighting another. Players going to new teams give the obligatory responses about how excited they are to be playing for their new team, how they feel the team has a chance to do big things, and naturally a receiver will lay a foundation for goodwill with his QB. Players do this all the time.

It was all in the context of why he chose the Texans over the Cowboys.

“One of the special things about Dallas [was] they gave me that opportunity,” Cobb said on a conference call with Houston reporters Friday. “They made the decision a little bit tough to either go back to Dallas, or Houston. I was excited about the opportunity to come to Houston, but Dallas definitely did give me that opportunity....The reason I picked the Texans is, obviously, I think that you look at what they’ve been able to do over the past few years,” Cobb said. “[They] went to the playoffs four of the past five times. At this point in my career, I still don’t have a ring, so I want to be in a situation where I have that possibility. I think when you look at Deshaun and what he’s been able to do since he’s been in the league, I’ve been really impressed from afar watching him. He has tremendous ability. He’s a winner. He’s won at every level, from high school to college. I think he has that ability to take us to a Super Bowl and I want to be a part of something special with him.”
Like with everything, the context matters.

Of course this is typical for free agency. That fact doesn’t help your argument though. He said he picked Texans (over Cowboys) because of the opportunity to win a Superbowl and, explicitly, because he thinks Watson will be the guy to get it done. We don’t have to agree with him. But we don’t get to pretend it isn’t what he said.

cowboyec

Reaction score
rewatching some of last season's games...he was 50/50 at best and didnt play upto the hype.
not that big of a loss.
put Devin Smith in the slot...lets see if he'll make more plays than not.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was all in the context of why he chose the Texans over the Cowboys.

“One of the special things about Dallas [was] they gave me that opportunity,” Cobb said on a conference call with Houston reporters Friday. “They made the decision a little bit tough to either go back to Dallas, or Houston. I was excited about the opportunity to come to Houston, but Dallas definitely did give me that opportunity....The reason I picked the Texans is, obviously, I think that you look at what they’ve been able to do over the past few years,” Cobb said. “[They] went to the playoffs four of the past five times. At this point in my career, I still don’t have a ring, so I want to be in a situation where I have that possibility. I think when you look at Deshaun and what he’s been able to do since he’s been in the league, I’ve been really impressed from afar watching him. He has tremendous ability. He’s a winner. He’s won at every level, from high school to college. I think he has that ability to take us to a Super Bowl and I want to be a part of something special with him.”
Like with everything, the context matters.

Of course this is typical for free agency. That fact doesn’t help your argument though. He said he picked Texans (over Cowboys) because of the opportunity to win a Superbowl and, explicitly, because he thinks Watson will be the guy to get it done. We don’t have to agree with him. But we don’t get to pretend it isn’t what he said.
And the context is still not that he picked the Texans because of Watson. Again, he said he picked the Texans because the Texans are making the playoffs consistently, which he feels gives him a better chance to win. Of course he thinks Watson is part of that success and will be a key part of the success going forward. You are acting as if he said the difference between the Texans and Cowboys is all in the QB position, and he didn't remotely indicate that.

And, of course, he picked them because the money was right. But a smart player doesn't want to come off as a mercenary, so he doesn't say that.

And, again, NFL players give interviews like this all the time, and they are expected to talk about the positive traits of the team they are going to. Any smart player would - it endears himself to teammates, coaches and fans. They aren't scripting out and carefully calculating responses to avoid any possibility of someone taking things differently than they intend, and in most cases they are just trying to be positive about what is to come rather than trying to make veiled slaps at where they were before.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the context is still not that he picked the Texans because of Watson. Again, he said he picked the Texans because the Texans are making the playoffs consistently, which he feels gives him a better chance to win. Of course he thinks Watson is part of that success and will be a key part of the success going forward. You are acting as if he said the difference between the Texans and Cowboys is all in the QB position, and he didn't remotely indicate that.

And, of course, he picked them because the money was right. But a smart player doesn't want to come off as a mercenary, so he doesn't say that.

And, again, NFL players give interviews like this all the time, and they are expected to talk about the positive traits of the team they are going to. Any smart player would - it endears himself to teammates, coaches and fans. They aren't scripting out and carefully calculating responses to avoid any possibility of someone taking things differently than they intend, and in most cases they are just trying to be positive about what is to come rather than trying to make veiled slaps at where they were before.

The good thing is, the text and context are provided in my last post. If you want to believe that says anything more or less than it actually says, I won’t stop you.