News: PFT: Reportedly, Tony Romo's deal is worth more than previously reported

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's not it. Society is very different now.
No social media to hide behind back in the good ol' days.
That is a good point but published opinion was still voiced at the time, primarily through media (e.g. print, radio, television, etc.) commentary. There were neither few or practically no negative backlash from media commentators concerning Madden's contract nor quoted players stating how "unfair" Madden's contract was by comparison to NFL compensation.

Yes, mass electronic communication was vastly different from today. Even the old chat rooms from the AOL era were still in their infancy at the time Fox outbid CBS for Madden's services. However, I would still argue that there was some type of significant underlying disgruntlement among NFL players or even the general public about Madden's payday. Then again, I cannot prove there were some people incessantly grinding their teeth about Madden back then as there are now with Romo either.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3rfkqr.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

RoboQB

Reaction score
That is a good point but published opinion was still voiced at the time, primarily through media (e.g. print, radio, television, etc.) commentary. There were neither few or practically no negative backlash from media commentators concerning Madden's contract nor quoted players stating how "unfair" Madden's contract was by comparison to NFL compensation.

Yes, mass electronic communication was vastly different from today. Even the old chat rooms from the AOL era were still in their infancy at the time Fox outbid CBS for Madden's services. However, I would still argue that there was some type of significant underlying disgruntlement among NFL players or even the general public about Madden's payday. Then again, I cannot prove there were some people incessantly grinding their teeth about Madden back then as there are now with Romo either.

This conversation has reminded me of something from around that time frame.

I remember Terry Bradshaw voicing his displeasure with John Elway's rookie contract.
Kinda funny, like flipping the story to an announcer/studio guy, and former player,
complaining about a rookie contract.

I just realized I might be off by ten years, or so, as a "time frame".