PFT: Return of the Moss-Covered Tar Pit aka Heinz field for 'Boys game?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RETURN OF THE MOSS-COVERED TAR PIT?

Posted by Mike Florio on November 21, 2008, 4:18 p.m.

When the Dallas Cowboys come to Pittsburgh on December 7, they might be greeted by a field that looks and performs like a marsh.

For the second straight year, sod will be placed atop the DD GrassMaster surface after four high-school football games are played at Heinz Field on Sunday.

Four.

Last year, there was a slight problem with the sod.

[youtube]x7DTNEa2E7w[/youtube]

In the offseason, the Steelers opted to make no changes. But if the field performs like it did a year ago, however, the NFL needs to step in and force the Steelers to install FieldTurf at Heinz Field.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
great.

It will be awesome when guys are injured all over the place.

If it ends up like that again, Jerry Jones will throw a fit. I am pretty sure if jerry rolls through there in those conditions it will be cleaned up fairly quickly.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Domes. Domed stadiums. Perfect field conditions for every game. Such a novel idea.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
DallasEast;2434122 said:
Domes. Domed stadiums. Perfect field conditions for every game. Such a novel idea.

I like some outside stadiums. I think Retractable roofs are the way to go. Best of both worlds.

That field in that condition is pathetic.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
DallasEast;2434122 said:

Artificial.

Perfect.

Next thing you are going to want games officiated by computers and sensors ;)

I do. ;)

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
that's where we will find out how tough this team is. playing in a real football stadium with a real crowd and a real field.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoofbite;2434124 said:
I like some outside stadiums. I think Retractable roofs are the way to go. Best of both worlds.

That field in that condition is pathetic.
Retractable roofs are a good compromise.
YoMick;2434126 said:
Artificial.

Perfect.

Next thing you are going to want games officiated by computers and sensors ;)

I do. ;)
I've wondered for several years why the league couldn't develop a football with a built-in sensor which could help determine exactly where the line of scrimmage should be marked. The technology has been around for awhile now, but it ain't happening yet. Oh well, we can always trust the refs to see everything. :)

I wonder if Ed Hochuli will be officiating any Jay Cutler/Broncos games in the near future? :D

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
great that sound stupid, going to play a pro football game after other football games, way to tear up the field

Mr.davon24

PGH Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
As cold as it gets here in the Burgh I wonder why they didn't build a domed stadium. The Panthers and the Steelers both play on this field over the weekend. On top of that they added High school football championships to the field too. Only excuse I see for the Rooneys is that they are very cheap. Although the conditions on the field game time wouldn't be like that. There will be snow and I hope we can battle in it. Apply alot of pressure to Ben and shut down Santono.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Oh, outdoors and on grass are the way the game should be played, regardless of the weather.

But keep all the high schoolers off the thing!

I mean, four games? That's ridiculous. :banghead:

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
DallasEast;2434122 said:
Blah. There's nothing better than watching a December snow game in the comfort of your own home.

Football isn't football without crazy weather games.

playmakers

Reaction score
Pittsburgh is the only stadium left in the league that can take you back to high school football memories. That field is the closest to a high school field as you can get. I think one field should stay like that. We need to keep some traditons(sp) and not have 72 and fieldturf at every game.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
The NFL, and football in general, was built on teams winning in tough conditions. I am glad this team will face a very hostile crowd and tough weather mixed with a crappy field. What better way to start December off with a win like that?

Bring it on...:starspin

burmafrd

Reaction score
and if we get more injuries - will that make you feel good too?

That is a total disgrace and the NFL should FORCE the steelers to stop loaning out the field like that.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
playmakers;2434255 said:
Pittsburgh is the only stadium left in the league that can take you back to high school football memories. That field is the closest to a high school field as you can get. I think one field should stay like that. We need to keep some traditons(sp) and not have 72 and fieldturf at every game.

A crappy field may be nostalgic, but tradition has nothing to do with it.

A team can have a nice grass field w/o it turning to complete crap.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;2434388 said:
and if we get more injuries - will that make you feel good too?

That is a total disgrace and the NFL should FORCE the steelers to stop loaning out the field like that.
Bold--> Good question. I believe the general concensus is that the field has been exposed to a bunch of high schoolers and the elements, but that's modern day/21st century football, so it's all good. Who would've ever thought that some NFL and MLB fans could be so mutually nostalgic about their pro stadiums and fields?

/sarcasm off

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
DallasEast;2434130 said:
Retractable roofs are a good compromise.
I've wondered for several years why the league couldn't develop a football with a built-in sensor which could help determine exactly where the line of scrimmage should be marked. The technology has been around for awhile now, but it ain't happening yet. Oh well, we can always trust the refs to see everything. :)

I wonder if Ed Hochuli will be officiating any Jay Cutler/Broncos games in the near future? :D

No need to wonder why?... they just dont want to do it yet.

Here is the answer:
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him... The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself... All progress depends on the unreasonable man."

As well as breaking the plane of the endzone... same thing... sensor would work.

Whats funny is... this is all very easy to do now and its not even a big deal "technology-wise"

The human official will be phased out. If you look at baseball with K-zone on ESPN for the strikezone... its already beginning to be phased in so they can phase human error out. "Human error is not and should not be part of the game"

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;2434525 said:
No need to wonder why?... they just dont want to do it yet.

Here is the answer:
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him... The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself... All progress depends on the unreasonable man."

As well as breaking the plane of the endzone... same thing... sensor would work.

Whats funny is... this is all very easy to do now and its not even a big deal "technology-wise"

The human official will be phased out. If you look at baseball with K-zone on ESPN for the strikezone... its already beginning to be phased in so they can phase human error out. "Human error is not and should not be part of the game"
You do realize that Ed Hochuli is also a lawyer and would sue the league for attempting to phase him out? Just kidding. :D

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2434118 said:
RETURN OF THE MOSS-COVERED TAR PIT?

Posted by Mike Florio on November 21, 2008, 4:18 p.m.

When the Dallas Cowboys come to Pittsburgh on December 7, they might be greeted by a field that looks and performs like a marsh.

For the second straight year, sod will be placed atop the DD GrassMaster surface after four high-school football games are played at Heinz Field on Sunday.

Four.

Last year, there was a slight problem with the sod.

[youtube]x7DTNEa2E7w[/youtube]

In the offseason, the Steelers opted to make no changes. But if the field performs like it did a year ago, however, the NFL needs to step in and force the Steelers to install FieldTurf at Heinz Field.

I read the link you provided on the Pitt Post Gazette on what they plan to do with the existing field situation and it will be interesting to see how bad the field will be after the Pitt WVU game coming up next weekend...

Also on the same page, Troy Polamalu is going to redo the Coke commercial that Mean Joe Greene did back in the day...

I searched for it on you-tube but I could only find his Suave shampoo commercial... pretty cool commercial..:laugh1:

[youtube]diCQ-kciNy4[/youtube]

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
DallasEast;2434537 said:
You do realize that Ed Hochuli is also a lawyer and would sue the league for attempting to phase him out? Just kidding. :D

Get him a Wii and he will be fine.... :laugh2: