News: PFT: Tyron Smith wants to keep playing a long time and says surgery will allow for that

HungryLion

Reaction score
I had a neck fusion at c6-7 and have spinal stenosis. I know Tyron is an elite athlete, but do WE REALLY think that he wont feel the affects? Speaking only from my own experience over the last 20 years, I can tell you my range of motion and stamina is affected. Just sayin. Now maybe Tyron will be the exception not the rule. Never heard of anyone returning to good as new after a spinal fusion. MAYBE PEYTON MANNING...but its not the norm. Just trying to be cautious here.

True. Then again Tyrons neck is the size of my thigh. So perhaps it’ll hold up better lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Glad Tyron is healthy again. The man is quiet, classy & fierce. One of the better ones.

Good morning my darling, I knew something smelled and looked beautiful other than me this morning lol❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️, posted this to the wrong person lol

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I remember when Demarcus Ware missed a few games for the first time ever and all of a sudden ol Steve Jones declared his best football behind him and cut him.

then a season later the cowboys could have gone to a super bowl had they had a Demarcus ware to hit Aaron Rodgers maybe once or twice, you know like th way he dominated the 2015 afc championship game in the second half sending Denver to a championship.

pretty weird how Smith has missed way more time and seems to always have issues yet he is still here but Ware was given no such treatment.

something tells me ol Steve Jones has no idea what he is doing.
DWare wasn't worth his contract, not even close, and his best football was behind him.

Playing well as second fiddle to Von Miller isn't the same thing as what you're thinking he would have done in Dallas.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
th
:starspin:

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I had a neck fusion at c6-7 and have spinal stenosis. I know Tyron is an elite athlete, but do WE REALLY think that he wont feel the affects? Speaking only from my own experience over the last 20 years, I can tell you my range of motion and stamina is affected. Just sayin. Now maybe Tyron will be the exception not the rule. Never heard of anyone returning to good as new after a spinal fusion. MAYBE PEYTON MANNING...but its not the norm. Just trying to be cautious here.
1. Do we really know the exact surgery he had? Are we sure he had a fusion? All I've read is the generic "neck surgery", which doesn't always mean a fusion.
2. If he did have a fusion, obviously ROM will be impacted. However, medicine has come a long way in the 20 years since your surgery. My daughter had spinal fusion due to scoliosis and was out of bed walking up flights of stairs within 24 hours. No PT needed, and off all pain meds within 10 days. It's crazy what they do now. She was good as new within 2 months, but she's also not and NFL LT.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't blame any player for avoiding surgery, if there is any concern they might actually be worse off after the recovery and rehab. They could possibly drop in effectiveness and his neck isn't like an Achilles, no choice in that matter.

If you have ever been recommended for lower back surgery and investigated the aftermath of that, you can understand anyone's hesitancy for invasive surgery. I know quite a few people that have had back surgeries and do not know one that has just had one.

Tyron Smith is the most loyal player to the Jones family since Booger bought the team because of what they did for him with his own family issues. He could have held them up for a hell of a lot more money and didn't. I do not second guess any decisions he makes, his sword has always belonged to the Cowboys.

MikeB80

Reaction score
DWare wasn't worth his contract, not even close, and his best football was behind him.

Playing well as second fiddle to Von Miller isn't the same thing as what you're thinking he would have done in Dallas.

someone missed Demarcus ware’s career.

this is a terribly ignorant take. Holy cow this is bad.

Reactions: BAT

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I wish Tyron would have done this sooner rather than later but as a fan all I can do is hope that having this procedure done will keep him in the lineup. If it does it helps this offense tremendously

starfan1

Reaction score
I remember when Demarcus Ware missed a few games for the first time ever and all of a sudden ol Steve Jones declared his best football behind him and cut him.

then a season later the cowboys could have gone to a super bowl had they had a Demarcus ware to hit Aaron Rodgers maybe once or twice, you know like th way he dominated the 2015 afc championship game in the second half sending Denver to a championship.

pretty weird how Smith has missed way more time and seems to always have issues yet he is still here but Ware was given no such treatment.

something tells me ol Steve Jones has no idea what he is doing.

because Im not 100% certain I wont call BS on this but my recollection of DWares departure was less about ability and more about Denver had the money and we didn't.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
someone missed Demarcus ware’s career.

this is a terribly ignorant take. Holy cow this is bad.
Nope. He was not producing to his contract and was trending down with a large cap hit at the time of release. During the run in Denver, he never got doubled because he was second fiddle to Von Miller - he wasn't all that productive anyway, though he had a nice run in the playoffs.

It's absolutely what happened. The idea that Dallas would have won the Super Bowl if he was still here is totally nonsensical - the defense was horrible in 2013 with him lol. They were bottom 10 in y/a against the pass and tied for last in sack %. He was no longer a difference maker.

starfan1

Reaction score
I just want to see 17 games out of Tyron and more if we make playoffs. I mean when

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I also think we need to keep some things in perspective.

Other than this last season. The most games Tyron ever missed a year was 3.

Tyron also played in all of the cowboys playoff games since joining the cowboys.

When on the field. Tyron is still a top 5 LT. Even when banged up.

Tyrons contract is a steal.

Tyron for 13 games per year plus playoffs, on his relatively cheap deal, is most likely far better than anyone you try to replace him with. Unless you use a top 10 pick on a tackle (which is fine if/when it does need to happen)

In conclusion, there’s zero reason to not give Tyron the chance to come back from this. Especially considering he finally got surgery.
There must. Have been doubts about the surgery working to have waited for so long or he does not believe in surgery. Sort of weird coming from a pro athlete if you ask me.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If he's healthy, Tyron is the best bargain on this team..........easy. Hope he plays at least 4-5 more years.

75boyz

Reaction score
Yeah, rumors of his demise have been (unsurprisingly) greatly exaggerated. He’s 30 years old which is still young for an OL. Trent Williams will be 33 before the season starts and the Niners are paying him really good money for the next 3 years.

Smith has a lot of time left and he’s playing at a very high level. Like you mentioned, his contract is team friendly as hell, and the Cowboys would be absolutely insane to do anything other than plan on him being their LT going forward.

That’s why it would have been all-time dumb to draft an OT with the first round pick this year with the team’s defensive needs. Both Smith and Collins are going to be around for a while, and they’re a very good combo.

On the contrary, if I have just paid out a $160 million for a face of the franchise QB I am not sure my confidence is in taking the risk of a post season surgery success vice trading up for Sewell or taking Slater over Parsons.

I guess it's all in how the risk/reward outcome is perceived.

I thought the loss of starting olinemen to Mahommes and Rodgers further demonstrated their importance.

Not to mention the turnstiles that were Steele and Knight against Washington's starters and even NYG in the second game.

Imo, this team will go only as far as the starting olineman's health holds up.

Regardless of defense.
I mean unless Parsons can play a little swing tackle, lol.

Most back ups are backups for a reason.
Chaz Green wasn't so long ago that I've forgotten.

Let Smith or Collins go down... Or gosh forbid both.

The tune around here will change pretty quick.

So based upon all these reasons I guess my risk/reward opinion favors the drafting of the OL as a backup plan over the hope of post surgery success.

Not sure how dumb that is, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Tussinman

Reaction score
Should have done a long time ago!
Yes and no

The surgery basically requires you to have it during the season in order to be ready for the next

Tyron along with the franchise thought 2017-2019 was there window to win so he choose to tough it out

Those same fans saying "he should of already had the surgery" would have been the same ones crucifying him if he had had it during that window (we would of heard "why is he having an elective surgery during our window to win" and "back in my day the players would have toughed it out, this generation is soft").