PFT: Vikings in Danger of Losing Entire Defensive Line Starters?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 16, 2008, 2:09 p.m.

The Minnesota Vikings’ entire starting defensive line could be in danger of getting suspended.

Vikings defensive tackles Pat Williams and Kevin Williams are currently appealing four-game suspensions for testing positive for a banned diuretic. And as we noted this morning, Vikings defensive end Jared Allen is facing a possible suspension over his latest illegal hit on a quarterback.

And then came today’s game, when the fourth and final starter on the Vikings’ defensive line did something that could get him suspended.

Vikings defensive end Ray Edwards delivered an absolutely brutal late hit to Buccaneers quarterback Jeff Garcia, drilling him long after Garcia had thrown the ball. Edwards was flagged for roughing the passer and will definitely be fined, and it’s possible that the NFL will rule the hit blatant enough to merit a suspension.

It’s not clear exactly what the timing is on the appeals for Williams and Williams, and it’s too soon to say whether Allen and Edwards will be suspended. But it’s at least possible that the Vikings could play next week’s game at Jacksonville without all four starters on their defensive line.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
:lmao2::lmao:

what a joke....don't they all have until week 12 otherwise they will forced to be suspend for the drug violations?

ndanger

Reaction score
StylisticS;2420296 said:
:laugh2:and your sig is funny too.

I like it as well. There are too many that think it should look like this..

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:rolleyes:

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
ndanger;2420321 said:

Thanks both! Just trying to enjoy the journey like the players have been preaching.

Really need the vikings to win today so when the suspensions hit, they will be out of our hair and take down the bucks.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Why would they be taking diuretics - will not enhance performance at all. The only thing I can think of is to try and mask some other substance in urine by dilution.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Eskimo;2420333 said:
Why would they be taking diuretics - will not enhance performance at all. The only thing I can think of is to try and mask some other substance in urine by dilution.

Exactly. No reason at all for a football player to take diuretics. It's not like a weight-classed athlete trying to make weight at the last minute.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2420340 said:
Exactly. No reason at all for a football player to take diuretics. It's not like a weight-classed athlete trying to make weight at the last minute.
Actually players do have to maintain a certain playing weight. Tho I've always assumed they lose weight during the season, so they wouldn't need something like that. They'd have to do the opposite to re-gain weight.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2420343 said:
Actually players do have to maintain a certain playing weight. Tho I've always assumed they lose weight during the season, so they wouldn't need something like that. They'd have to do the opposite to re-gain weight.

Still, the argument is your team should approve any drugs you take. Players going on their own and taking unapproved substances is inexcusable. If they are dumb enough to not follow simple team rules, they should be suspended. Intent should be irrelevant.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hypnotoad;2420353 said:
Still, the argument is your team should approve any drugs you take. Players going on their own and taking unapproved substances is inexcusable. If they are dumb enough to not follow simple team rules, they should be suspended. Intent should be irrelevant.
I agree.

Wasn't disputing that, at all.

I've kinda been following this story, and the argument is there is a 24-hr hotline players can call to find out if something is ok. The argument is that they were given the go-ahead.

However, the league has always maintained that the player is responsible for what they put in their body. They also provide a list of approved drugs for them to take.

I expect the players to get suspended.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2420361 said:
I agree.

Wasn't disputing that, at all.

I've kinda been following this story, and the argument is there is a 24-hr hotline players can call to find out if something is ok. The argument is that they were given the go-ahead.

However, the league has always maintained that the player is responsible for what they put in their body. They also provide a list of approved drugs for them to take.

I expect the players to get suspended.

Yeah, that's what I heard too. Also, in some cases the hotline was either busy or no one answered. The league isn't doing enough AND the players are probably trying to game the system.

UGH!!! fitzpatrick you idiot.

Eskimo

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2420343 said:

I suppose, but taking these medications to rapidly change your weight can have quite devastating effect on your health if not properly monitored and done in a gradual fashion - which is exactly the opposite of what they are doing if they are trying to rapidly lose weight.

I know it sounds harmless enough - take some pills, pee a bunch and make the weight. However, there are quite a few instances of people dying from this.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
If these guys were Cowboy players, Roger cowboy hating Goodell would have suspended them already. i dont know why cowboys fans are not outrage by Goodell treatment of our team.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ndanger;2420321 said:

Stop looking at their record and watch how they're playing. A team with that much talent and is playing the way they've been playing (with losses to the Cards and Rams) is a disappointment. Period.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
well when im wrong i will admit it, i was afraid of the vikings this year, with their defense, and when they got Jared Allen, boy was i ever wrong,

i bet whomever will be the vikings next head coach, next year, they go after a QB next year in the draft,