PFT: What if Shanahan needs a fresh start to win a Super Bowl

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Before you say impossible......no one ever thought Reid would leave the Eagles or Dungy would leave the Bucs. Is he overrated or overconfident? I'm not sure but his evaluation of QBs has produced mixed results.........
* Jimmy G........appears he never truly trusted him
* Lance.............traded 3 first rounders and a 3rd rounder, a player who never started a full season for him
*Purdy..............current starter selected in the 7th round. Is he a great one or the next Nick Foles or Trent Dilfer?

Will Kyle Shanahan eventually need a fresh start?​

Published February 12, 2024 06:04 PM

Before last night’s Super Bowl began, a member of the national media posed to me a question worth at least considering.

If the 49ers lose the game, will coach Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers need a fresh start, at some point?

Chiefs coach Andy Reid got a fresh start, albeit after 14 seasons with the Eagles. Shanahan already has seven years with the 49ers, and he has lost two Super Bowls. At what point will it be in his best interests, and/or the team’s best interests, to have a reboot?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Their not getting rid of Kyle Shanahan. Why should they he got them to the Superbowl and almost won. They'll be back in next year for sure.

As for Dallas, we have a fresh start every 3 years with our coaching and the only that remains constant is Jerry. Get rid of Jerry and we have a fresh start.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Their not getting rid of Kyle Shanahan. Why should they he got them to the Superbowl and almost won. They'll be back in next year for sure.

As for Dallas, we have a fresh start every 3 years with our coaching and the only that remains constant is Jerry. Get rid of Jerry and we have a fresh start.
He's not suggesting they are, especially anytime soon. He's speculating Shanahan may wanna a fresh start if can't get it done with the 49ers within the next couple of years or so.

exciter

Reaction score
Reid didn’t leave… he was fired stupidly!

What does “trust” even mean? It was obvious to everyone but Garafalo and the Raiders that he was a product of the system.
Lance was a GM decision.
Dumbledorphing onto Purdy saved them from that decision.
Only thing that gets Shanahan out of Frisco would be consecutive seasons not making the playoffs with at least one being sub 8 wins…then no one here would want him. See Zimmer…5-6 years back people were lamenting he wasn’t the head coach. Now the same people insist he’s not good enough to be the DC!

Zman5

Reaction score
:huh: So you think Lance was forced on Shanahan? You don't give up 3 first-round picks for a player unless everyone is on board, especially your head coach.
I've heard Shanny wanted Matt Jones but the scouts wanted Lance and Lynch went with the scouts' recommendation.

John813

Reaction score
He's gotten there twice as a Head coach. 3 times as a coach.
You don't fire those types of coaches that can reach the endgame but just fall barely short of the goal.
Not like his teams get beat 62-7 in the superbowl with the running back scoring a safety.

The 49ers for a few years are setup to be the favorites out of the NFC. See no logic reason for them to shuffle the HC spot.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Fresh start. Lol, these reporters suck nowadays. His team is stacked and they had the game won up until the last second of the 4th and OT. Unreal that this would even be a story.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
He's gotten there twice as a Head coach. 3 times as a coach.
You don't fire those types of coaches that can reach the endgame but just fall barely short of the goal.
Not like his teams get beat 62-7 in the superbowl with the running back scoring a safety.

The 49ers for a few years are setup to be the favorites out of the NFC. See no logic reason for them to shuffle the HC spot.
I think they probably beat any team but the Chiefs.

exciter

Reaction score
:huh: So you think Lance was forced on Shanahan? You don't give up 3 first-round picks for a player unless everyone is on board, especially your head coach.
So you think it was solely Shanahan’s decision as the OP contended?

And yeah, everything from that organization leans towards the GM and scouting department having at least 70% responsibility on draft matters. They made that decision with the luxury of knowing they had Garofalo in their back pocket if (Lance) it didn’t work out and being able to trade (Garofalo) him for a 1st/2nd if it did!

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Let’s say in some crazy scenario they split amicably so San Fran can bring in someone like BB or another coach….there’s no way imo Shanahan is going to come to Dallas and coach here with how the franchise is set up. In San Fran him and lynch and ownership all work very close together and he has an important say.

He won’t have the same power here imo at all. I could see him in Philly, Buffalo or other spots if they flame out again but don’t ever see him here unfortunately. As far as this being a total pipe dream that he leaves or they split- it probably is but it’s also not out of the realm of possibility it happens in the next 2 years or so if they fall short again or take a minor step back.

Sometimes in sports even with success, organizations and coaches get sick of each others voices.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Shanahan coaches poorly in big games, he kinda chokes.
He just needs to realize where he is messing up and correct it.

75boyz

Reaction score
I'll speak for myself and imo and all,
but Shanahan runs circles around McFraud. It aint even close comparing their coaching talent.
And I could care less if McFraud's previous QB won him a SB.