News: PFT: Will Grier loves the new third-quarterback rule

Jipper

Reaction score
Saw this rule coming after what happened to the 49ers in the playoffs. Once a team gets bit in the playoffs it causes rule changes.
Nuh uh...cowboys been bit..and nothing changed..

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will this change improve quarterback development with time on the carpet and expanded interaction?
I hope so. This is a QB driven league and clearly the talent falls off quickly once you get to the bottom half of the league.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Nuh uh...cowboys been bit..and nothing changed..
They got a hit in the Super Bowl against Pittsburgh when Benny Barnes and Lynn Swann ran into each other that caused Barnes to be flagged for a PI. That resulted in the incidental contact rule the very next season. The Dez catch against Green Bay in the playoffs eventually changed the catch rule.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They got a hit in the Super Bowl against Pittsburgh when Benny Barnes and Lynn Swann ran into each other that caused Barnes to be flagged for a PI. That resulted in the incidental contact rule the very next season. The Dez catch against Green Bay in the playoffs eventually changed the catch rule.
They still do not know what the rule is or an actual catch. It is subjective just like PI and Roughing the Passer, Offensive Holding as well at times.

It should be kept simple like it used to be. You catch the ball, land with both feet touching, for a few seconds (not getting hit right away, even if no "football move". It is a catch. If the ball is then knocked loose, it is a fumble.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They still do not know what the rule is or an actual catch. It is subjective just like PI and Roughing the Passer, Offensive Holding as well at times.

It should be kept simple like it used to be. You catch the ball, land with both feet touching, for a few seconds (not getting hit right away, even if no "football move". It is a catch. If the ball is then knocked loose, it is a fumble.
You’ve always had to hang on the ball long enough to at least take a couple of steps. Control of the ball has always had to be there. We’re certainly not seeing the issues we saw prior to the rule change. It’s never going to be perfect, but it has improved.

Mannix

Reaction score
Saw this rule coming after what happened to the 49ers in the playoffs. Once a team gets bit in the playoffs it causes rule changes.
Unless it would have bit us…then the whole country thinks it’s funny that we mismanaged the roster.

conner01

Reaction score
Will this change improve quarterback development with time on the carpet and expanded interaction?
Not likely. Most teams have a QB on PS if they don’t carry 3 now. I don’t think it changes the number of reps they will get
I think the transfer portal is gonna help develop more QB in time. Instead of sitting behind a guy they can transfer somewhere and play. In time that’s has to develop more players in general but especially QB since reps is the key to them developing

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It's a pointless rule that everyone will forget exists by November.

Greer likes it because it makes him more employable, is all.

manster4ever

Reaction score
You’ve always had to hang on the ball long enough to at least take a couple of steps. Control of the ball has always had to be there. We’re certainly not seeing the issues we saw prior to the rule change. It’s never going to be perfect, but it has improved.
Yeah, it has improved. I'll never forget the Butch Johnson "TD" catch vs. Denver in the SB. My gosh, I didn't think he held onto it long enough but it worked out for the good guys.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah, it has improved. I'll never forget the Butch Johnson "TD" catch vs. Denver in the SB. My gosh, I didn't think he held onto it long enough but it worked out for the good guys.
Yeah, that catch would’ve been overturned years later with the old catch rule. Even under the rule they had then I’m not sure he held onto it long enough but it worked in the Cowboys favor.