PFW 4/12 take on Manny Lawson

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
cboyd said:
I have seen Carpentar play, and I have seen Lawson and Wimbley play also, I think Carpentar is that, just OK, or do you want someone that will terroize defenses, someone who is quick with a pass rush, and also someone who also has the size to stop the run. You have that in Wimbley and Lawson, YOU have just OK in Carpentar. Give me the playmaker not the OK guy.

I've seen all three play as well, and honestly you could say that about all of them...Lawson didnt do much of anything in the games I saw NC State play (and wasnt a factor at all in the Senior Bowl other than one play)...Wimbley only had a couple of good games all year and was hardly a terror on every play

Wimbley and especially Lawson are alot more one dimensional than Carpenter is right now, niether Lawson nor Wimbley is very good vs the run and niether have alot of experience in pass coverage...Carpenter is outstanding in coverage, pretty good vs the run and was such a good pass rusher that OSU used him alto as a down DE in obvious pass situations

I think the ceiling is higher with Wimbley and Lawson, but both are also higher risks...Carpenter is a safe pick and really isnt a guy you are having to transition or convert to a position he hasnt played...Lawson and Wimbley are both projections

David

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
This disucssion isn't making me feel comfortable with taking any of these guys at 18. Any thoughts on Demeco Ryans? He's one guy who had a productive college career, was highly touted at one point, but seems to have fallen off because of lack of "measurables."

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
This disucssion isn't making me feel comfortable with taking any of these guys at 18. Any thoughts on Demeco Ryans? He's one guy who had a productive college career, was highly touted at one point, but seems to have fallen off because of lack of "measurables."

he really isnt the ideal for a 3-4 OLB, he might fit at ILB in the 3-4 but he is a good player...I think he'll end up on a 4-3 team however, more of a fit

David

cboyd

Reaction score
well, the patriots seem to be taking a close look at him if that means anything.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
Interesting. KFFL reports that he has met twice with the Patriots.

http://www.kffl.com/player/13440/NFL

and he might end up on a 3-4 team, I dont think he's an ideal fit because of the type player he is, but it doesnt mean he wouldnt go there or even do really well.....

but just because a team is looking at a player doesnt mean they are going to take him either

David

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
carpenter is not top 18 but he is top 24, and that is why we are gonna take him with the 24th pick of the 2006 nfl draft. and the bengals will take tye hill or jimmy williams at 18. get off my hype, sorry i just had to say that.

manny lawson doesnt fit our scheme, the difference between him and ware is waht they are trying to be converted to. just because it worked with ware doenst mean itll work with lawson.

ware went form a pass rushing end in college to the WOLB (pass rushing LB)
lawson in this case would be going from a pass rushing end in college to a SOLB (Run Stopping/Coverage LB)

theres a slight difference in the conversions, and bobby carpenter, well he may not be worth it at 18 but he definately is at 24 and will be a good run stopper and a solid pass rusher.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
carpenter is not top 18 but he is top 24, and that is why we are gonna take him with the 24th pick of the 2006 nfl draft. and the bengals will take tye hill or jimmy williams at 18. get off my hype, sorry i just had to say that.

manny lawson doesnt fit our scheme, the difference between him and ware is waht they are trying to be converted to. just because it worked with ware doenst mean itll work with lawson.

ware went form a pass rushing end in college to the WOLB (pass rushing LB)
lawson in this case would be going from a pass rushing end in college to a SOLB (Run Stopping/Coverage LB)

theres a slight difference in the conversions, and bobby carpenter, well he may not be worth it at 18 but he definately is at 24 and will be a good run stopper and a solid pass rusher.

I bet we take Whitner. He seems to be the best value/need combination on our board for the 18th spot.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
I bet we take Whitner. He seems to be the best value/need combination on our board for the 18th spot.

I'll take that bet. I wouldn't draft Whitner in the first round.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Rack said:
I agree, but I do think he's the best LB in the draft vs the run. And he's a solid/good pass rusher.

All the draft mags I got say he is also the best LB vs the pass. So, my conclusion is simple math

Best vs run + Best vs pass = Best overall LB. Add in a little ability to rush the passer and we got a very steady LB in the Pepper Johnson mold that will be there for years.