PFW Blog: Coming to the defense of Wilky re: PFW's Top 50 list...3 'boys

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anytime you make a list of this nature, rating the top 50 players in the NFL, you’re going to have debate.

No love for my guy.

How could you leave this dude off the list?

Not enough of a certain position. Too much of another.

There is no list that will please everyone, and there are bound to be controversies, but let me tell you I thought that Mike Wilkening — and this was the first time he did the Top 50 for PFW — did a heck of a job. I spent the weekend with him out in L.A. at the NFL's Rookie Premiere, and we talked about some of the feedback this blog got, and let me tell you that Mike put a ton of thought and time into researching this.

He called scouts, GMs, position coaches and other talent evaluators around the league for their input, and he collectively came up with a comprehensive list that has made some fans happy and others … well, like we said, a lot of tough critics out there.

I decided to boil down the comments a little bit and see what common themes there were. Here’s what I came up with:

• Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow have no love from the fans. Maybe too many tight ends in general.
  • Ray Lewis is someone a number of fans liked and thought should still be on the list.
  • Marcus Stroud was an omission in some people’s minds, and there was a lack of defensive players as well overall. Shaun Rogers was mentioned a bit, too.
  • Roy Williams and T.O. were the receivers that fans thought should be included.
Now, without speaking to or for Wilky, I should say that I thought he hit it mostly on the button. I, too, would like to see more out of Winslow and Shockey to firm up their places on this list, but in terms of ability, there’s no question that they are both rare athletes who are in the top five at their position. Whether you think tight ends belong on the list in numbers is another debate, but I will say that the position is more valuable than it was a decade ago.

And consider this:

There just aren’t as many great defensive players. Teams are built more on schemes. Name five premier linebackers in the game today. I’ll spot you Brian Urlacher, Shawne Merriman and Julian Peterson. Is Lance Briggs that good? Adalius Thomas — jack-of-all-trades, but master of how many? Al Wilson likely will retire. DeMarcus Ware could be that guy but is not there yet. And you can’t say that Lewis or Zach Thomas is in peak physical condition anymore. They are productive players who have passed their peak.

Three ends are outstanding: Julius Peppers, Jason Taylor and Dwight Freeney, and Freeney had an off year. So did Richard Seymour, who for now is a notch below those guys in terms of playmaking. Ty Warren was outstanding last season, but we need to see more to be sure. Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora are coming off injuries. And there aren’t a ton of dominant tackles these days. Kevin Williams, Tommie Harris (he was a Pro Bowler if he didn’t get hurt), Jamal Williams and Casey Hampton top the list, but it drops off from there.

Champ Bailey is the only shutdown corner in the league, period. I love Terence Newman, Nate Clements, Rashean Mathisbut I watched each of those guys get burned last season. On Mike’s original list, I saw that Adrian Wilson (50) was omitted. That was my mistake. Add Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu, and you’ve got your elite DBs. Brian Dawkins turns 34 this year, and though he had a nice season and should be good again, I agree with Mike that he falls just outside the top 50.

Think about it: We’re talking about the 50 best of the best. That’s an average of less than 1.6 players per team. And if we break positions down to QB, running back, wide receiver, tight end, offensive tackle, offensive guard, center, defensive tackle, defensive end, outside linebacker, inside linebacker, cornerback and safety, that’s fewer than four players (3.8) per position that can make the list. QBs and running backs will take up a good portion of the list by nature of the positions, so it’s tough to get the proper love for the guys in the trenches, who not only get overlooked by you and me, but also by league sources.

It’s tough, guys. I wish there was a perfect way to do this, but there just isn’t. The feedback is great; keep it coming. I thought Mike did a terrific job, but as we know, not everyone will be satisfied with such an undertaking.

Posted by Eric Edholm on May 21, 2007 11:38 AM | Permalink | Comments (0

playmakers

Reaction score
The only time he got legit beat was against Mike Williams and Detriot. Other than that, the throws he gave up were hats off to the QB and WR.

The playoff game he had awesome coverage and Hassleback still made the perfect throw. The one that jumps out was the crossing route to Bobby Engram. Newman's name is starting to get out there and this year he could explode because Phillps should man him up against every teams top guy.

burmafrd

Reaction score
This idiot completely misses the FACT that Ware is much more of a complete LB then roidman; but then totally loses his credibility by saying Ware is not there yet. But roidman- a true one trick pony- IS?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
playmakers;1505717 said:
The only time he got legit beat was against Mike Williams and Detriot. Other than that, the throws he gave up were hats off to the QB and WR.

The playoff game he had awesome coverage and Hassleback still made the perfect throw. The one that jumps out was the crossing route to Bobby Engram. Newman's name is starting to get out there and this year he could explode because Phillps should man him up against every teams top guy.

Please people, the guy has an agenda.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All cornerbacks get beat sometimes, even Champ Bailey. It happens, but it doesn't lessen how good a player really is. What makes Bailey so good is that he's playmaker at the CB spot.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I really would like to see a breakdown comparison of Tnew and Champ.
% of passes completed, PDs, yds, YPC, TDs, INTs and results of the INTs.

I think Newman is a lot closer over the last 3 years then many people realize.

adamknite

Reaction score
burmafrd;1505780 said:
This idiot completely misses the FACT that Ware is much more of a complete LB then roidman; but then totally loses his credibility by saying Ware is not there yet. But roidman- a true one trick pony- IS?

you expected a thoughtfull well informed analysis? If he would have had Ware above or anywhere near "Roidman" the entire US except Dallas fans and other smart people would be in an uproar.

It's funny how a guy who in his second year who just started at the pro bowl isn't on the list while a TE who has only played one season in his 3 year career is. Not to mention that there is another TE that you may have heard of who has been to the pro bowl 3 times in his 4 year career, yet he's not on the list either. He's obviously not using fact or doing any research into this, he's just writing stuff.