WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Orakpo beginning to pay dividends

Posted Oct. 17, 2009 @ 2:06 p.m.
By PFW staff

• Commanders OLB-DE Brian Orakpo is still making rookie mistakes, but his improvement has been very evident recently — he has 13 tackles and 2½ sacks in his last three games. He has appeared more comfortable making moves and countermoves and is starting to recognize and adjust to offensive schemes and adjustments. Orakpo might not realize his full potential until down the road, but the positive signs are adding up.

• Once more, Sinorice Moss is at a crossroads with the Giants. He handled punt- and kick-return duty while Domenik Hixon was injured, but Moss wasn't very effective, and he couldn't help out much as a wide receiver. Moss needs to make a statement soon to avoid being a healthy scratch each week or be cut at one of the team's deepest positions.

• The Eagles aren't using injuries and youth as excuses for their high total of penalties — 29 through four games. Last season, the team averaged fewer than five penalties a game. Head coach Andy Reid said the team's practice tempo has to get better, which Reid thinks would translate to better efficiency and fewer mistakes on game days.

• It looks like RB Felix Jones (knee) and WR Roy Williams (ribs) will be ready to go next week when the Cowboys face the Falcons. Both players are trying to shed labels that they are injury-prone, but in Williams' case it's a bit unfounded considering he has missed only a handful of games in his career with injuries. Jones' toughness hasn't been questioned, but there are some in Dallas who wonder if he'll be a 12- to 13-game player most seasons.

• The Lions are very happy with the quick progress shown by DT Sammie Hill, who was working as a big part of the rotation up front, before a recent ankle injury has set him back. The team has leaned on Hill, who was considered a rookie long-term project at one point, more than expected and can't wait for him to get healthy again.

• The Vikings expected more from DT Letroy Guion at this point. He opened eyes in his first few practices as a rookie last season with his speed but hasn't shown the requisite toughness, technique or strength to earn a regular spot in the rotation yet. Guion has been the regular game-day inactive on the defensive line in recent weeks, having been beaten out by journeyman Jimmy Kennedy.

• The feeling in Green Bay among coaches and daily team observers is that fourth-year CB-S Jarrett Bush is much better-suited for the team's new 3-4 scheme than the previous 4-3 scheme, which more often exposed Bush's deficiencies in man coverage.

• Our Bears sources tell us the team is very pleased with the progress that has been made by second-year TE Kellen Davis, who received increased playing time when Desmond Clark missed two games with a rib injury. "He has made the most of his opportunities (TD catches in Weeks Two and Four)," said one team insider of the sure-handed Davis. "And he has improved his blocking, which wasn't a strong suit."

• Buccaneers rookie DE Kyle Moore, a fourth-round pick, is getting close to making his debut after being sidelined by a groin injury and knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus. While the Bucs could use all the help they can get with their pass rush, sources say Moore will need time to get back into playing shape and could have a hard time finding the field if DLE Jimmy Wilkerson continues to play well. Wilkerson leads the team in sacks with five.

• Rumors of Tony Dungy's return to the Buccaneers to serve as a consultant or assistant coach were quickly debunked prior to the Bucs' Week Six game vs. the Panthers, as Dungy released a statement saying he had no interest in taking on such a role. Sources familiar with the organization say the Glazer family wouldn't make such a move unless GM Mark Dominik approached them and asked for help. There is no indication he has done so.

• Panthers rookie Sherrod Martin is not as prepared to contribute as the Panthers hoped he would be at this point. Martin, a second-round pick, was penciled in at nickel back early in the offseason, but he has yet to prove himself capable of handling a significant role. Martin has been limited to contributing on special teams in the early going and has yet to make a tackle on defense.

• Saints ORG Jahri Evans has been bothered by turf toe, putting his status for Week Six and his streak of 52 consecutive starts in jeopardy. The Saints are already without Pro Bowl OLT Jammal Brown, and losing Evans for a significant amount of time would be a huge loss for the team. "(Evans) can flip a switch and he's as good as any lineman in the league, in my opinion," QB Drew Brees recently told PFW.

• The way we hear it, John Carlson's reduced role in the passing game the past several weeks can be largely attributed to injuries along the offensive line. In the first six games, Seattle will have been forced to use three different starting left tackles and, as a result, has called a lot more two-TE sets to help with pass protection. Before Carlson can get into his route, he is often chipping a defender, slowing his ability to get open in the middle of the field. The Seahawks are hoping to get OLT Sean Locklear back after the bye week, which should allow Carlson to make his presence felt more as a receiver.

• The consensus in the desert is that the return of TE Ben Patrick from a four-game league suspension will provide a nice boost for the Cardinals' offense. "He should help a lot, especially with (fellow TE) Stephen Spach hurting his ankle against Houston," said one team insider. "He looks like he's in good shape, and coming out of training camp, he looked like the best combination receiver/blocker at tight end."

• We hear the removal of controversial political commentator Rush Limbaugh from the group led by St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts that is in the running to purchase the Rams has improved that group's chances of buying the team. With as many as six groups in the mix, word is that the Checketts group, which is the only one to publicly express its interest, is now "definitely in the top three," according to one team insider.

• Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo has been impressed by how quickly recently acquired WR Danny Amendola has picked up the team's offensive system. "Yeah, he is a pretty sharp guy," Spagnuolo said. "The coaches have done a good job force-feeding him."

• Our Niners insiders believe that, if featured back Frank Gore is reinjured, veteran Michael Robinson would be a better choice to replace him than rookie Glen Coffee, who one insider said "seemed befuddled a lot of the time" in the two games in which he took over for Gore as the starter. "The game is just too big for him at this stage," the insider said. "He wasn't patient at all, and he looked a lot different than the player who was so impressive in the preseason."

• Offensive coordinator Gus Bradley has called for the hurry-up offense at times this season when his players appear sluggish, and the results have been tangible. Some of the best drives QB Matt Hasselbeck and the offense have executed have been in the hurry-up. We hear Hasselbeck is very confident when he's able to dictate the tempo and make quick decisions, and Bradley won't hesitate to use it more often to jump-start the offense as the season progresses.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;3020287 said:
• It looks like RB Felix Jones (knee) and WR Roy Williams (ribs) will be ready to go next week when the Cowboys face the Falcons. Both players are trying to shed labels that they are injury-prone, but in Williams' case it's a bit unfounded considering he has missed only a handful of games in his career with injuries. Jones' toughness hasn't been questioned, but there are some in Dallas who wonder if he'll be a 12- to 13-game player most seasons.
I'm still in Felix' camp big time. His history in college suggest he is more durable than what we have seen so far in his career with the Cowboys. 12-13 game player most seasons? I'm not buying that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;3020571 said:
I'm still in Felix' camp big time. His history in college suggest he is more durable than what we have seen so far in his career with the Cowboys. 12-13 game player most seasons? I'm not buying that.

Agree, Maybe his body just needs a little more time in his maturing process. Each one is different.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3020287 said:
• Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo has been impressed by how quickly recently acquired WR Danny Amendola has picked up the team's offensive system. "Yeah, he is a pretty sharp guy," Spagnuolo said. "The coaches have done a good job force-feeding him."

Rue.

:(

reddyuta

Reaction score
dont know if felix will play but roy will definitely play.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score

As long as 3-4 of them are in January and February, I'm happy with whatever regular season contribution he can give us.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Even if he were such kind of player. I would have no problem with that. He'd probably be more productive then most other Backs in the league.

The problem right now is can he be a 4-5 games per season back.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I certainly hope you're right, but another injury this season and the "injury prone" lable will really start getting used.

He's electric when he's on the field, now he just needs to stay on the field.