PGA Tour disciplines golfers 'who have decided to turn their backs' on organization to play for LIV

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Golfers participating in LIV Golf tournaments will no longer be eligible to compete in PGA Tour events and the Presidents Cup, Commissioner Jay Monahan told members in a memo obtained by Fox News Digital on Thursday.

The memo to PGA Tour members was sent as LIV Golf’s first tournament teed off in London. The Saudi-backed league will feature stars like Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson, Kevin Na, Lee Westwood and others. Monahan thanked those who committed to this weekend's RBC Canadian Open and addressed his letter to "those players who have decided to turn their backs on the PGA TOUR by willfully violating a regulation."

The memo specifically singled out Johnson, Mickelson, Na, Westwood, Sergio Garcia, Talor Gooch, Branden Grace, Matt Jones, Martin Kaymer, Graeme McDowell, Andy Ogletree, Louis Oosthuizen, Turk Pettit, Ian Poulter, Charl Schwartzel, Hudson Swafford and Peter Uihlein. Monahan said either these players didn’t receive releases to play in LIV Golf or didn’t apply for the releases at all.

Players who resigned their memberships, including Garcia, Grace, Johnson, Kaymer, McDowell, Na, Oosthuizen, Pettit, Schwartzel and Westwood, would be removed from the FedEx Cup Points List following the conclusion of the RBC Canadian Open, according to the memo. Those players who resigned will not be allowed to play in PGA Tour tournaments as a non-member via sponsor exemption or any other eligibility category.

PGA Tour disciplines golfers 'who have decided to turn their backs' on organization to play for LIV Golf | Fox News

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Tiger Woods reportedly turned down a nine-figure offer to spurn the PGA Tour and play in the Saudi-backed rival league LIV Golf.

Greg Norman, the commissioner of LIV Golf and CEO of LIV Golf Investments, told the Washington Post on Monday that Woods turned down the offer. Woods in the past has said he will continue to play in the PGA Tour.
"Mind-blowingly enormous," Norman told the paper. "We're talking about high nine digits."

The offers some of the PGA championships reportedly received are in the nine digits as well. Dustin Johnson received around $125 million to play in the league, The Telegraph reported last week. Phil Mickelson, who officially announced is intention to play in the league on Monday, reached a deal around $200 million to play in the league, the Golf Channel reported.

Tiger Woods turned down 'mind-blowingly enormous' offer to play in LIV Golf, Greg Norman says | Fox News

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I kind of see both sides of this. I've got no problem with players choosing which league they play in and don't really understand the venom toward the players who decided to leave the PGA. I also wouldn't expect the PGA to entertain players bouncing back and forth to and from a direct competitor. The PGA said from the very beginning that wasn't going to happen and gave all those players until the last minute (this morning at LIV tee time) to make their decision.

I personally won't watch LIV. I don't care to watch a Saudi backed league and thus far they have a pretty poor level of competition. I'll be interested in how the Masters who aren't run by the PGA handles these players. I mean Johnson, Mickelson, Garcia, and Schwartzel are all previous Masters winners. I think they'll allow them to play. In the end I think the LIV will fail and these guys will have all shot a hole in their careers. That won't mean much to the older guys like Mickelson and Garcia, but for the younger guys like P. Reed and B. DeCahambeau it could really shorten their careers. LIV is paying big $$$ so I doubt any of these guys will miss the FedEx Cup all that much, but not getting to compete in the Ryder Cup has to hurt.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I kind of see both sides of this. I've got no problem with players choosing which league they play in and don't really understand the venom toward the players who decided to leave the PGA. I also wouldn't expect the PGA to entertain players bouncing back and forth to and from a direct competitor. The PGA said from the very beginning that wasn't going to happen and gave all those players until the last minute (this morning at LIV tee time) to make their decision.

I personally won't watch LIV. I don't care to watch a Saudi backed league and thus far they have a pretty poor level of competition. I'll be interested in how the Masters who aren't run by the PGA handles these players. I mean Johnson, Mickelson, Garcia, and Schwartzel are all previous Masters winners. I think they'll allow them to play. In the end I think the LIV will fail and these guys will have all shot a hole in their careers. That won't mean much to the older guys like Mickelson and Garcia, but for the younger guys like P. Reed and B. DeCahambeau it could really shorten their careers. LIV is paying big $$$ so I doubt any of these guys will miss the FedEx Cup all that much, but not getting to compete in the Ryder Cup has to hurt.
I think the obvious issue is guys grew up dreaming of playing PGA Golf.
And now by leaving they are weakening that league considerably.

It'd be like Mahomes, Donald, Parsons and another 50 top players all leaving to join a rival football league owned by Saudi billionaires.

I never pocket watch athletes who have short earning shelf lives but these guys are filthy rich already.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

It is strange, they play both stroke play but also play as a 4 man teams with something like 12 teams. It is a different concept, not sure I will watch it either

London (livgolf.com)

csirl

Reaction score
Will they all end up on the European Tour when not in liv? - it doesnt have rules prohibiting plsyers from playing in other tours. It also has a lot of sponsorship from the gulf states, so doesnt have the moral high ground and may even be pressurised by gulf sponsors into allowing them play some European events in addition to the liv stuff.

triplets_93

Reaction score
The Herd with Colin Cowherd -- his reaction to the PGA Tour suspending 17 players, including Phil Jackson, Dustin Johnson

terra

Reaction score
Not terribly surprising; the PGA like all major sports leagues will do their best to destroy any rivals and punish any of their own that dare to step out of line.

Though as I recall the NFL did not seem too worried about any of its rivals to the point of taking action like that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not terribly surprising; the PGA like all major sports leagues will do their best to destroy any rivals and punish any of their own that dare to step out of line.

Though as I recall the NFL did not seem too worried about any of its rivals to the point of taking action like that.
The NFL mercilessly punishes anyone who goes against it.
No league would come anywhere near them without pain and suffering far beyond anything the PGA is doing.

terra

Reaction score
The NFL mercilessly punishes anyone who goes against it.
No league would come anywhere near them without pain and suffering far beyond anything the PGA is doing.
Show me where they banned players. Do not recall them doing it when the AFL and they were going toe to toe and that had been its greatest threat.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s basically blood money from the Saudi’s led by Greg Norman and his long standing vendetta with the PGA.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Show me where they banned players. Do not recall them doing it when the AFL and they were going toe to toe and that had been its greatest threat.
My man you cannot possibly be this dense. The AFL was disbanded 52 years ago and the Cowboys' own Tex Schramm had a major hand in that as he recruited Lamar Hunt and other AFL owners to the NFL during clandestine meetings in Dallas.

The NFL hasn't had to ban players because it goes after leagues politically and through its media partners.
The National Football League is treated as a tax-exempt nonprofit organization, and receives a special broadcast antitrust exemption.
They've used both to become the most powerful org in sports by quite a large margin.
The NFL is as powerful as the OG mafia, it doesn't need to punish foot soldiers, it waits til they need a job and hires them.

If the LIV circuit folds the PGA will rescind all bans I assure you. They just won't allow dual participants and the NFL would not either. ALL the NFL contracts are fully exclusive.
You sign away image and likeness and the NFL can merchandise jerseys and such with your name on it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I just figured out what LIV golf is, it is 54 holes golf. Can't believe I did not pickup on this. lol

Flamma

Reaction score
Outright banning players. Damn, leagues/organizations do not like competition.