Philadelphia Ads to Target Gay Travelers

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Philadelphia Ads to Target Gay Travelers

Wed Jun 2, 1:02 PM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By JASON STRAZIUSO, Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA - A new TV ad campaign featuring a same-sex couple in colonial costume invites gay tourists to come to the City of Brotherly Love, and a gay media group said it's the first time a television commercial for a U.S. tourist destination has targeted homosexuals.

capt.px10306021646.gay_commercial_px103.jpg

The 30-second spot, which was scheduled to air for the first time Wednesday night in Philadelphia and will be seen around the country, ends with the tag line: "Come to Philadelphia. Get your history straight and your nightlife gay."

The commercial will play on channels such as Bravo, MTV, VH1 and Style in Comcast Corp. cable markets nationwide. Comcast is the country's largest cable company with 21.5 million subscribers.

"This is an invitation, that you (gays) are welcome here, because of what Philadelphia is and what Philadelphia has to offer, and because we have a strong gay community," said Meryl Levitz, president and chief executive of the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corp., which is sponsoring the ad campaign.

"And we're not saying it's a gay destination; it's a gay-friendly destination."

The private tourism group began its gay-theme campaign with print ads last November, and Levitz said only a few people had complained about them.

A man in the commercial is seen writing a letter by candlelight to his "dearest beloved" and asks to meet at Independence Hall. Once at the hall, he rebuffs an interested female and gives his bouquet of flowers to his male partner.

As the scene plays out, a narrator says: "Philadelphia and its countryside has a long history of making everyone feel welcome and free." The word Philadelphia is shown in a rainbow of colors.

The commercial is the first TV ad by a destination — such as a city or resort — to target a gay audience, said Mike Wilke, executive director of the Commercial Closet Association, a nonprofit group that tracks gay representation in ads.

___

On the Net:

Greater Philadelphia Tourism and Marketing Corp.: http://www.gophila.com

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040602/ap_on_re_us/gay_commercial

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Figures. It would Philly. Now they just need to trade for Garcia and it will be the fall travel destination of choice for those folks.

Captain Hoagie

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Figures. It would Philly. Now they just need to trade for Garcia and it will be the fall travel destination of choice for those folks.

Or just Bill Parcells..... and/or Leon Lett

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Captain Hoagie said:
Or just Bill Parcells..... and/or Leon Lett

Well, they aren't of that peruasion, unlike some who like hoagies so much. Hmmm Captain Hoagie. Either you have a very unhealthy infactuation with haogies or you are really Andy "I'll eat anything" Reid.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
and Texas has the fattest kids in America :rolleyes:

Well, I don't live there so I can't help that but have lived in Philly, actually a suburb of philly and the place is a hole in s. philly.

Captain Hoagie

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Well, they aren't of that peruasion, unlike some who like hoagies so much. Hmmm Captain Hoagie. Either you have a very unhealthy infactuation with haogies or you are really Andy "I'll eat anything" Reid.

Well whatever I don't shoot little kids like Switzer.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Jon88 said:
LOL, you ARE a little kid.
I just realized this is a 15 year old little kid who got his daddy's computer out. Beddy Bye time little boy.

jamez25

Reaction score
Captain Hoagie said:
Well whatever I don't shoot little kids like Switzer.
**** Andy Reid! And **** the ****in' City of Brotherly Love! **** 'em all! I bury those cockroaches!

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Just Released: After the huge success of the first "gay friendly" tourism ad produced by the Philadelphia tourism department, the City of Philadelphia has started production on a second ad to highlight Philly's "gay friendly" image.
Here's an early look at this new ad:

060204-MCNABBANDTO.jpg