News: Phillips: 3 & Out: Dez vs. Dallas A Feel-Good Story We Need

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Amari Cooper is the only WR I've ever seen who doesn't demand the ball .. Dez wanted to win.. When we got the best use of him we won more.. Too many times Dez would have a matchup with a DB who couldn't hold his jock and we would target Dez 1 or 2 times.. I would be a distraction too.. especially if we were losing the game.. I would tell the coach, the QB, the OC, the line coach, the DB coach, the owner, the head trainer, Rich Dalrymple, the fans, anybody who would listen that we could win this damn game if they'd just throw me the ball. I will never forget that game at KC when Dez had 120 yards and two TDs in the first quarter.. and then was not targeted again until late in the 4th.. I believe we lost that game 17-14 .. Dez's TDs turned out to be our only scores all day. Dez should have strangled both Romo AND Garrett after that game. He should have had 300+ yards and 5 TDs in a blowout win that day. Instead we lost and the main reason was that we stopped going to our biggest matchup advantage after the first quarter.

But Dez never criticized anybody until they released him. And at that point they were all fair game. But while he was playing for the Cowboys the dude was about winning.. Period..

Your love for Dez goes well beyond what anyone thought who saw him for what he was. I won't attempt to dissuade you from your illusions of what Dez became at the end of his stretch with the Cowboys. He had become a distraction that even his biggest fan in Jerry couldn't justify. It took an overwhelming vote by the rest of the Dallas staff, including his own son to convince him to part ways with his deluded fan's view of Dez. His performances were a mere shell of what they'd been earlier in his career. The fact is that he turned on Dallas, his teammates and the Dallas staff well before his release.

There's a reason why it has taken Dez this long to latch on with another team during times of such desperation. Your fandom of Dez is one in total denial of what he had sadly become, well before his release by the Cowboys. Making excuses for him at this juncture is beyond a daunting task, to say the least. Good luck with that. We'll see if his extended stretch of rest and rehabilitation has changed what he had become well before his departure that was demanded by the entirety of the Dallas staff..

Last edited:

Shane612

Reaction score
You're right. :( Even bad publicity is good for that idiot. But I STILL want him thoroughly embarrassed in front of the nation regardless of what HE thinks. I want him to be the laughing stock. And I want Dez's X done facing UP straight at the owners open bar....I mean box.
On the business of running the cowboys franchise, he is a genius.
On building a winning football team, he is a fool.
However, no need to have angst against him.
Let go, brother...let it go.
Or we can pool our money together and buy the Dallas Cowboys franchise, and....
:grin:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Your love for Dez goes well beyond what anyone who saw him for what he was. I won't attempt to dissuade you from your illusions of what Dez became at the end of his stretch with the Cowboys. He had become a distraction that even his biggest fan in Jerry couldn't justify. It took an overwhelming vote by the rest of the Dallas staff, including his own son to convince him to part ways with his faulty fan's view of Dez. There's a reason why it has taken him this long to latch on with another team during times of such desperation. Your fandom of Dez is one in total denial of what he had become before his release by the Cowboys. Making excuses for him at this juncture is a daunting task, to say the least. Good luck with that.

I am always fascinated that any analysis that does not agree with people's narratives is immediately construed to be "making excuses." Who the F- is making excuses for anything? If I don't rubber stamp your perception of Dez then I am "making excuses for him?" Seriously? The media was constantly attempting to paint Dez as some wild eyed moron on the sidelines but invariably when they put the audio with the from his "tirades" he was always positive and trying to hype his teammates up. But people who wanted him to be some big jerk latched onto his "facial expressions" and his "body language" and ran with that as truth. Remind you of anybody who might be on the team right now? Some of you seem to go out of your way to dislike guys on your own team and latch onto any excuse that helps support your feelings. I will never be on board with that line of thinking. I follow the Cowboys very closely and consume any and all media and stories I can ... I am fully aware of the challenges Dez posed off the field especially early in his career.. He was a kid from the worst possible upbringing who had to learn how to function in "polite" society. Been there done that.. Though I at least had both parents at home and my mom was not parading different guys in and out of my life throughout my upbringing. But I can relate to kids who come from poverty who then are thrown into a spotlight like what these kids are. I grew up in the housing projects of Orlando then went to Harvard. I actually was a college football teammate of Dr. Oz and a track and field teammate of Courtney B. Vance (aka Mr. Angela Bassett LOL Don't tell him I said that.) then to what is now a 35 year career in the tech biz. My ride has not been nearly as wild and abrupt as Dez's (because at no time have I had several million bucks in the bank) but I do understand what he has had to deal with. In these circles you get invited to a lot of parties where you don't really belong.. and I'm not just talking about the high society crap.. I'm also talking about the house parties in the hood where somebody might get drunk get mad and pull a gun. You know you probably shouldn't be there but it's your homey since junior high's birthday party and you don't want to be perceived as "think he too good to hang with us ..." guy.

Aside from his early years when Dez was a typical kid in his early 20's who wanted to be out livin the life of a 20 something year old millionaire I have not seen nor heard anything about him that would lead me to believe he was a bad guy. His was released because his performance no longer merited his salary. All the other crap was just the front office covering it's arse. If Dez starts to light it up in Baltimore they are going to have a lot of egg on their collective faces. As are some "fans."

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I am always fascinated that any analysis that does not agree with people's narratives is immediately construed to be "making excuses." Who the F- is making excuses for anything? If I don't rubber stamp your perception of Dez then I am "making excuses for him?" Seriously? The media was constantly attempting to paint Dez as some wild eyed moron on the sidelines but invariably when they put the audio with the from his "tirades" he was always positive and trying to hype his teammates up. But people who wanted him to be some big jerk latched onto his "facial expressions" and his "body language" and ran with that as truth. Remind you of anybody who might be on the team right now? Some of you seem to go out of your way to dislike guys on your own team and latch onto any excuse that helps support your feelings. I will never be on board with that line of thinking. I follow the Cowboys very closely and consume any and all media and stories I can ... I am fully aware of the challenges Dez posed off the field especially early in his career.. He was a kid from the worst possible upbringing who had to learn how to function in "polite" society. Been there done that.. Though I at least had both parents at home and my mom was not parading different guys in and out of my life throughout my upbringing. But I can relate to kids who come from poverty who then are thrown into a spotlight like what these kids are. I grew up in the housing projects of Orlando then went to Harvard. I actually was a college football teammate of Dr. Oz and a track and field teammate of Courtney B. Vance (aka Mr. Angela Bassett LOL Don't tell him I said that.) then to what is now a 35 year career in the tech biz. My ride has not been nearly as wild and abrupt as Dez's (because at no time have I had several million bucks in the bank) but I do understand what he has had to deal with. In these circles you get invited to a lot of parties where you don't really belong.. and I'm not just talking about the high society crap.. I'm also talking about the house parties in the hood where somebody might get drunk get mad and pull a gun. You know you probably shouldn't be there but it's your homey since junior high's birthday party and you don't want to be perceived as "think he too good to hang with us ..." guy.

Aside from his early years when Dez was a typical kid in his early 20's who wanted to be out livin the life of a 20 something year old millionaire I have not seen nor heard anything about him that would lead me to believe he was a bad guy. His was released because his performance no longer merited his salary. All the other crap was just the front office covering it's arse. If Dez starts to light it up in Baltimore they are going to have a lot of egg on their collective faces. As are some "fans."

Write a book if you want to convince me and it won't be nearly enough. Keep trying to convince most others who agree with me, as well, if you can. I quit listening to delusional people many years ago. Regardless of what Dez does with his current team, his departure with the Cowboys was totally justified.

Last edited:

Shane612

Reaction score

Right. However, to be fair, being wrong is part of being a GM.
So, I don't hold anything against Jerry for being wrong.
Where I have problem with Jerry is HE NEVER SEEMS TO LEARN FROM HIS MISTAKES.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think it's a serious mistake to allow oneself to become a fan of one man, even if it's at the expense of the team. It's how so many fans often make their mistake. As a result, they'll have a serious problem, when it comes to accepting that the team must divest themselves of him. It's really a very common occurrence that we see here so often. Players frequently get released and it's mostly for the good of the team, far more often than not.

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
For the overwhelming majority of Cowboys fans, the real 'feel good story' concerning Dez Bryant will be after his retirement from the NFL, when time comes for him to be inducted into the Ring of Honor.

Reactions: G2

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
For the overwhelming majority of Cowboys fans, the real 'feel good story' concerning Dez Bryant will be after his retirement from the NFL, when time comes for him to be inducted into the Ring of Honor.

I disagree -- the overwhelming majority of fans would be shocked if he were to make the ROH.

The Cowboys FO will never allow it. Despite that, I'll certainly wish him success with Baltimore.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
he was glorified by fans here for 4 years, maybe 5, and jerry paid him 80 million + his rookie contract money !
If that is treating him badly, please someone treat me badly !!!!!!

He went out on low terms, due to he was paid to be the 2nd best wr in the nfl, and he quickly turned into a avg wr, didnt earn the big contract.
And let me say I am not anti dez, he was a diva goofball, who played pretty good for his first 4 years.
I hated to see him get hurt in NO, I wanted to see how he did there, and I have no idea if he has anything left, but I hope he plays against cowboys,
would be fun to see what he can do.
I always follow ex cowboys, I dont hate them cause they leave cowboys, murray, beasely, dez and others.

I might add that 2 weeks ago, I compared beasleys stats to Lamb, and they were very close but beasley is a little ahead of lamb.
That says maybe lamb isnt all that great, as bease was udfa, and is slightly out playing the # 1 dallas pick.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And let me say I am not anti dez, he was a diva goofball, who played pretty good for his first 4 years.
I hated to see him get hurt in NO, I wanted to see how he did there, and I have no idea if he has anything left, but I hope he plays against cowboys,
I always follow ex cowboys, I dont hate them cause they leave cowboys, murray, beasely, dez and others.

I might add that 2 weeks ago, I compared beasleys stats to Lamb, and they were very close but beasley is a little ahead of lamb.
That says maybe lamb isnt all that great, as bease was udfa, and is slightly out playing the # 1 dallas pick.

Two things about this take.. One is Lamb was probably kicking Beasley's butt before Dak went down.. and two.. Beasley is making what 5-6 million a year more than Lamb isn't he? I mean isn't that always the knock people bring up when bashing Zeke or other highly paid players on this team? "We could get the same production cheaper?" So why complain when we actually ARE getting the same production cheaper?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Buffalo utilizes Beasley much better than Lamb is here, in my opinion. They have a very solid offense.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Dez got big bucks then went stinky stinky. Sound familiar cause it should.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Two things about this take.. One is Lamb was probably kicking Beasley's butt before Dak went down.. and two.. Beasley is making what 5-6 million a year more than Lamb isn't he? I mean isn't that always the knock people bring up when bashing Zeke or other highly paid players on this team? "We could get the same production cheaper?" So why complain when we actually ARE getting the same production cheaper?
Well dont get upset lol, I didnt say bease was better or lamb was bad, but he is under performing compared to the other rookie wr's
and bease is a udfa, and the amount of money they make is irrelevant, but lamb is being paid way more on his rookie deal, than the other rookies
and what bease was paid as a rookie.
And sure losing dak affected lamb, but really when the teams starting qb goes down , a good player would step up his game to help the bkup qb's.

Now one thing I have noticed , and this is probably jones related, but every game cooper gets the most targets, usually way more than the other guys.
I find that to be a little stupid, and restrictive. It also helps other teams defenses when they know cooper will get half the passes.
But so far I am not seeing lamb doing anything great, to live up to his draft status, so far aside from that one catch he has been just average guy.
But with our coaches and cooper getting so many targets I will cut him some slack, but so far I just dont see that he is special.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Buffalo utilizes Beasley much better than Lamb is here, in my opinion. They have a very solid offense.
well to be honest I have only seen 2 bills games, and I was thinking the opposite, that they dont really know how to use him right.
They do have a fairly good offense, but they pass too much.
Bease has shined at times though, doing his short pass thing, and has caught some td passes.
Buffalo needs a better run game and then to use it better, or they wont go far in playoffs.
But they are getting into playoffs several year in a row now.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
well to be honest I have only seen 2 bills games, and I was thinking the opposite, that they dont really know how to use him right.
They do have a fairly good offense, but they pass too much.
Bease has shined at times though, doing his short pass thing, and has caught some td passes.
Buffalo needs a better run game and then to use it better, or they wont go far in playoffs.
But they are getting into playoffs several year in a row now.
They're very balanced. He comes up big from time to time. Not every game. All about match ups.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Well dont get upset lol, I didnt say bease was better or lamb was bad, but he is under performing compared to the other rookie wr's
and bease is a udfa, and the amount of money they make is irrelevant, but lamb is being paid way more on his rookie deal, than the other rookies
and what bease was paid as a rookie.
And sure losing dak affected lamb, but really when the teams starting qb goes down , a good player would step up his game to help the bkup qb's.

Now one thing I have noticed , and this is probably jones related, but every game cooper gets the most targets, usually way more than the other guys.
I find that to be a little stupid, and restrictive. It also helps other teams defenses when they know cooper will get half the passes.
But so far I am not seeing lamb doing anything great, to live up to his draft status, so far aside from that one catch he has been just average guy.
But with our coaches and cooper getting so many targets I will cut him some slack, but so far I just dont see that he is special.

It isn't shocking to expect a 31 year old veteran to be doing better than a 21 year old rookie at the wide receiver position. It is a position that typically takes a while to adjust to at the NFL level. Lamb's rookie year is better than Beasley's rookie year or Beasley's 2nd year or Beasley's 3rd year. By the end of the season, Lamb's season may be better than Beasley's first 3 seasons combined. Underperforming compared to other rookie WR's? He is right up there along with other rookie WRs.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Speak for yourself. Here for all the feel goods for Dez after how poorly he was trewated by the team and fan base.

Get real. Bryant got cut after leading the league in drops. His production started sliding right after he signed his last contract with the Cowboys. He showed how immature he is and how much of a spoiled little kid he was when he wasn't going to be in a play in the last minute of the game so he stomped of the field before the game was over. His last season he became a cancer in the locker room. He had become a one trick pony of only being able to out jump a defender for the ball. He has never had any real speed and with getting older that's got to be even less now. Bryant did everything except hand the Cowboys a written request to get cut. Then he sat and sat and sat until week 10 when the saints were so desperate for a receiver because they lost their #1 and #3 receivers two weeks in a row signed him. His first practice he tears his achilles tendon. He sat out all of 2019 and then he sat and sat and sat until again week 10 until the ravens were desperate for a receiver and he gets signed. Now he's such a really good player that he sat for all of training camps and 10 weeks in two different seasons until a couple of teams were that desperate to sign him.

Proof

Reaction score
Get real. Bryant got cut after leading the league in drops. His production started sliding right after he signed his last contract with the Cowboys. He showed how immature he is and how much of a spoiled little kid he was when he wasn't going to be in a play in the last minute of the game so he stomped of the field before the game was over. His last season he became a cancer in the locker room. He had become a one trick pony of only being able to out jump a defender for the ball. He has never had any real speed and with getting older that's got to be even less now. Bryant did everything except hand the Cowboys a written request to get cut. Then he sat and sat and sat until week 10 when the saints were so desperate for a receiver because they lost their #1 and #3 receivers two weeks in a row signed him. His first practice he tears his achilles tendon. He sat out all of 2019 and then he sat and sat and sat until again week 10 until the ravens were desperate for a receiver and he gets signed. Now he's such a really good player that he sat for all of training camps and 10 weeks in two different seasons until a couple of teams were that desperate to sign him.

hush. I’m not reading all that, angry man.

The Natural

Reaction score
Did you guys not remember the crying little B that Dez turned into when he was released? Or the S talking he did?
you think anybody in the locker room besides Snake Lee cares? Half of the defense is probably fighting for dibs on his jersey after the game.