Philly’s first Tush Push

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

So my understanding is McCarthy could not challenge the spot here? If so, that’s a terrible rule. And if that’s the case, why didn’t the “spotters” upstairs buzz down to the officials on the field to correct the spot? Even upon a quick replay glance, this is CLEARLY a poor spot. This should have been 4th & 2 and Philly likely does not go for it.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I have no idea how they didn't challenge that. McCarthy is too conservative when it comes to that.

But they missed the spot BY 2 YARDS. Game changing call.
The twitterverse is saying he could not challenge, since it wasn't a 1st down. I'm not sure. Either way, this should have been a league expedited review.

Adiba1977

Reaction score
Need try take cheap shot the center and ol. There’s pile there. Take your shot. They will stop doing it if their players get hurt. They want play rugby then play rugby.

JustChip

Reaction score
No, you can only challenge the spot in certain circumstances: basically, if a first down or TD depends on it. You can't challenge the spot just to move the ball if the down won't change as a result.
That’s the issue I have with NFL challenges - everything should be open to challenge, including penalties. Don’t want to include penalties? Fine, but all else should be fair game.

Philly probably still goes for it if 4 & 2, and probably gets it, but changes the play-call from the virtually automatic shove to something that has a chance of being defended.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
No, you can only challenge the spot in certain circumstances: basically, if a first down or TD depends on it. You can't challenge the spot just to move the ball if the down won't change as a result.Got it.
Does a poor or questionable spot fall under the league expedited review scenario?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does a poor or questionable spot fall under the league expedited review scenario?
This I do not know.

Hadn't thought about this until now, but I suppose it's possible the Cowboys could have challenged the ruling, claiming that Hurts actually got the first down. They would lose the challenge, but the ball would be spotted properly as a consequence of the challenge.

But you can't throw away a time out and any chance for a third challenge for a yard or two that early in the game.

One of the issues is, what consitutes a successful spot challenge if there's no change in down? If they move the ball an inch (which they probably always would), is that a successful challenge? A millimeter?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

So my understanding is McCarthy could not challenge the spot here? If so, that’s a terrible rule. And if that’s the case, why didn’t the “spotters” upstairs buzz down to the officials on the field to correct the spot? Even upon a quick replay glance, this is CLEARLY a poor spot. This should have been 4th & 2 and Philly likely does not go for it.

That's some BS! This is my first time seeing this angle. I didn't realize his knee was down so far back.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
That’s the issue I have with NFL challenges - everything should be open to challenge, including penalties. Don’t want to include penalties? Fine, but all else should be fair game.

Philly probably still goes for it if 4 & 2, and probably gets it, but changes the play-call from the virtually automatic shove to something that has a chance of being defended.
I doubt it. 4th & 1, he knows it's a layup. There's literally no risk given their success rate. 4th & 2, you're closer to 50/50. Even for them. I think he punts given its the 1st quarter.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
No, you can only challenge the spot in certain circumstances: basically, if a first down or TD depends on it. You can't challenge the spot just to move the ball if the down won't change as a result.
Yes you can. You just technically don't win the challenge.

It's a stupid rule that would force Dallas to eat a timeout regardless, but it probably gets you possessoin.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That tush push is just snapping the ball and diving below the knees of the defense. Am very surprised people are not getting hurt..
But if the defenders dove at the knees of the offense, flags would fly. Cheap garbage play that needs to go. Not only because of the inherent danger, but you usually can't see where the ball or the ball carrier's knees are until the pile is broken up.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
That tush push is just snapping the ball and diving below the knees of the defense. Am very surprised people are not getting hurt..
Exactly. The Philly OL are consistently quick off the snap and making solid contact to the DL waistline or lower creating leverage. The battle is won before Hurts even makes a move.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes you can. You just technically don't win the challenge.

It's a stupid rule that would force Dallas to eat a timeout regardless, but it probably gets you possessoin.
Yes, I think they could have made a challenge that they knew would lose (challenging the ruling that Hurts didn't get the first down), giving up a time out and the potential for a third challenge in the process. Not going to blame them for not wanting to do that.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yes, I think they could have made a challenge that they knew would lose (challenging the ruling that Hurts didn't get the first down), giving up a time out and the potential for a third challenge in the process. Not going to blame them for not wanting to do that.
That's fair.

I think it's too conservative not to challenge it, but I get it in the first quarter.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's fair.

I think it's too conservative not to challenge it, but I get it in the first quarter.
I think reasonable people can disagree. But man, even if you accept that the 4th-down conversion is automatic from the bad spot and a punt would be automatic from the good spot, it's one first down, on their side of the field, on the first drive of the game. Giving up a time out and especially taking yourself down to one possible challenge the rest of the game is an awfully high price.