Philly.com: Owens' holdout costly to receiver and team

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Posted on Thu, Jun. 02, 2005
In My Opinion | Owens' holdout costly to receiver and team
By Ashley McGeachy Fox
Inquirer Staff Writer

Terrell Owens wasn't at the opening of the Eagles' passing camp yesterday, but he was everywhere, looming large. He wasn't on the field to catch Donovan McNabb's tight spirals, or to joke during water breaks, or to make another bet with his coach about how many touchdown passes he will catch this season.

But aside from the news that Brian Westbrook had signed his one-year tender to play with the Eagles next season, Owens was the topic of conversation among players, and most certainly among the media.

Owensgate moved into its third month yesterday, with no end to the impasse in sight. He still wants a new contract. The Eagles still refuse to give him one.

So here we sit, not knowing what is next. Drew Rosenhaus, Owens' agent, continues his policy of not commenting on the matter. And the Eagles' brass wasn't giving up anything, either.

There was a trickle of news from the coach, although he tried mightily to deflect every question about Owens. Andy Reid said that he had spoken with Owens a few weeks ago. He would not divulge who initiated the call or what was discussed.

"It's all been good," Reid said.

Asked just how good it's been, given that Owens was not at the NovaCare Complex yesterday, Reid paused, smiled, and said, "That's a good question."

A good question, with no good answer.

Owens needs to be with his team, for his own sake, and for the sake of the Eagles. Despite what McNabb has said - that the Birds can win a Super Bowl without Owens - the Eagles' success in 2005 is inextricably linked to whether No. 81 is in uniform.

McNabb had no choice but to say what he said. It's what Allen Iverson says all the time. If you don't have faith in the players who surround you, why bother suiting up?

Owens was showered with affection and praise, from his teammates and coaches, after the Birds made it to the Super Bowl in Jacksonville. He was - pick one - the glue, the spark, the fire, the man whose swagger was contagious, the man who made his teammates believe they could win an NFC title game.

That praise was warranted. It still is, despite the overwhelming change in public opinion about Owens now that he wants more money.

Someone needs to persuade Owens to come home.

It seems the Eagles believe that once the season is upon us, Owens will end his holdout. His addiction to competition, and his love of his paycheck, will overcome his desire for more money.

That could be true. But in the meantime, missing team functions such as passing camp is detrimental to both player and team.

It was hurting Westbrook. He missed an earlier minicamp, and despite wanting at least a five-year deal, he re-signed yesterday for one year so that he wouldn't miss any more time with his team.

"It was tough not being around everything," Westbrook said. "Everybody knows it's a process, too. It's a process you have to go through. Sometimes in negotiations, things aren't so pretty...

"Right now, I don't know what T.O.'s thinking. I wanted to be a part of it, and I'm glad I came back."

Apparently, no one knows what T.O. is thinking.

Cornerback Lito Sheppard is scheduled to be in Atlanta this weekend for a charity event spearheaded by Owens. Though Sheppard said he plans to attend - if, that is, he isn't exhausted from the passing camp - he hasn't spoken directly with Owens. He only talked to Owens' "people."

"Until training camp and Week 1," Sheppard said, "it is what it is."

Although he spent nearly two hours last week with Rosenhaus, defensive end Jevon Kearse said he doesn't have a handle on what Owens ultimately will decide.

"That's between Drew and T.O., whatever they have going on," said Kearse, also a Rosenhaus client.

Kearse maintained that he discussed "not even one" word about Owens with Rosenhaus during their get-together.

"All Drew said was, 'You know, 'Von, I bet I'm not the most-liked person up in Philly right now. But you know what? I do whatever I can, whatever is the best thing for my clients.' And I thought about it. You've got to respect him for that."

Still, Kearse said that he felt more a part of the Eagles at this passing camp than at last year's, his first with the team. A year ago, he and Owens were the new guys. Now, they should be the veteran leaders spearheading the drive to the Super Bowl in Detroit.

Kearse is that guy. At the moment, Owens is not.

"This is our job," Kearse said. "This is what we have to come in and do. True enough, T.O. is a big part of this team, is a big part of the success last year. But now we're trying to prepare like he's not going to be here. Then, if he is going to be here, it'll only be a plus."

A big plus. Unfortunately, at the moment, it is impossible to envision Owens back in an Eagles uniform. Even though he was all over the NovaCare Complex yesterday, Owens wasn't where he really needed to be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact staff writer Ashley McGeachy Fox at 215-854-5064 or amcgeachy@phillynews.com.