U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By LES BOWEN
spacer.gif

[size=-1]bowenl@phillynews.com[/size]

spacer.gif

GOING FROM the Eagles' practice squad to lining up against the Dallas Cowboys tomorrow in Texas Stadium is quite the transition, Keyonta Marshall said yesterday.

Marshall, a seventh-round rookie defensive tackle from Grand Valley (Mich.) State, said he has been told he'll be added to the roster today, before the team leaves for Dallas. Starter Darwin Walker missed practice again yesterday with a thigh bruise. He remains listed as "doubtful," though it seems pretty definite that he won't play. Defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said this week that the Eagles won't try to wing it with only three healthy d-tackles.

"It's been a long time since I've had my pads on," Marshall said yesterday. "I might have to slip 'em on for the 'mock game.' "

Today's "mock game" is actually a glorified walkthrough. Marshall, who hasn't seen any live action since training camp, knows he won't be able to hit anybody today, but he said he might wear the pads just to get used to having them on again.

Marshall knew when the Eagles drafted him that he was joining a team deep in d-tackles. It helped a little when the Birds released Corey Simon rather than pay him franchise-player dollars, but even then, the only spot they had for a raw, 6-1, 325-pounder who had to play his way into shape at camp was on the practice squad.

Now, with Paul Grasmanis on injured reserve after tearing an Achilles' tendon, and Walker's hip still ailing, Marshall finally gets a chance to show what he can do. He knows he must make the most of it; it seems likely that Walker will be ready to return after next week's bye and that Marshall could be back on the practice squad, if coach Andy Reid decides he needs to bring back whomever he cuts today to bring up Marshall. Last week, wide receiver Darnerien McCants took the hit to get kicker Todd France on the roster; McCants returned this week after Grasmanis went down. Since no one picked him up last time, McCants might be the best option to expose again.

Marshall said he understood he had a lot to learn when he got to the NFL, and he's eagerly listened to defensive line coach Tommy Brasher's tutoring on refining his stance and rushing the passer. Marshall said he usually was double-teamed at Division II Grand Valley and never really developed great pass-rush skills.

Marshall said he has no idea how many snaps he'll get. Hollis Thomas and first-round rookie Mike Patterson will start, backed up by Sam Rayburn. Marshall will see spot duty as the No. 4 tackle. The Eagles probably won't rotate sets of d-tackles as they do when Walker is healthy.

Marshall figures he'll be expected "to stop the run and get after it rushing the passer."

Thomas, who made the Eagles 10 seasons back as an undrafted rookie from Northern Illinois, senses a kindred spirit (and body type) in Marshall.

Asked what Marshall brings to the table, Thomas replied: "Size. And quickness. He's a good young kid - he tries to learn everything he can... some guys don't really want to listen to the coaches and the other players, but he does that."

Wynn/Wynn situation

Andy Reid confirmed that Dexter Wynn will handle both punts and kickoffs tomorrow, as the team tries to lighten the load of nickel corner Rod Hood, who fumbled a kickoff Sunday in Kansas City.

"I'm glad they're giving me the opportunity to get the ball in my hands a few more times," Wynn said. "The kick-return style is obviously more north-south. It's all about hitting seams and running up in there as fast as you can, as opposed to a punt return, which is making a guy or two miss and then finding a seam."

Still kicking

Kicker Todd France figures his second week can't possibly start out as badly as his first week, when his first field-goal attempt was blocked, the snap for his first extra point went awry, and he found himself unsuccessfully chasing the Chiefs' Dante Hall on a 96-yard kickoff return for a touchdown.

"Starting out, that was just a disaster," France said.

He said he isn't concerned with speculation on how long David Akers could be sidelined (8 weeks or more, unofficially). France knows he can be easily replaced, whether Akers is ready to return or not.

"I'm here on a week-to-week basis," France said. "For me to even stay here until Dave gets back, I have to make my kicks, and I have to hit deep kickoffs."

Birdseed

When the Eagles come back from the bye, expect to see defensive end Jerome McDougle practicing. McDougle, placed on the nonfootball injury list after being shot in an apparent robbery attempt, is eligible to play on Oct. 23 against the visiting San Diego Chargers. Kick returner/safety J.R. Reed, linebacker Greg Richmond and fullback Thomas Tapeh also become eligible to return in Week 6, but Reed will not be able to play this season, and the team has no roster space for Richmond or Tapeh. Under the rules, they must begin practicing between Weeks 6 and 9 if they're going to play this season. Once a player starts practicing, a team has 21 days to activate him or put him on injured reserve for the duration. So the Eagles could wait until Week 9 to start the clock on everyone except McDougle, and wait until Week 12 to make those roster decisions.

TheHustler

Reaction score
I hope Larry and Marco give Marshall a nice "welcome to the nfl, kid"

Mansta54

Reaction score
Them missing Walker is a HUGE loss in their run defense. He's big, strong, and athletic. Our OLINE has to take advantage of that.. They just have to!!!