News: Philly: Will Dallas CB Brandon Carr shadow DeSean Jackson?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jeff McLane, Inquirer Staff Writer
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013, 8:33 AM

DeSean Jackson spent most of Sunday's game against the Buccaneers running routes against one of the best cornerbacks in the game. The Eagles wide receiver did some damage against Darrelle Revis, but his biggest catch -- a 36-yard touchdown -- came when he lined up in the slot and went over the top of Tampa's zone defense.

As the Eagles prepare to face the Cowboys, one of the questions of note this week has been how Dallas defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin plans to defend the Birds passing game and, specifically, how he plans to employ his best cornerback, Brandon Carr.

"He does a really good job of mixing things up," Chip Kelly said of Kiffin. "They play a good amount of man, man‑free and they mix in some Cover 2 in there and play a lot of three deep, four under."

Kiffin, of course, is famous for his "Tampa 2" zone, but after watching the Cowboys' last three games, and mostly how Carr was used, the coordinator does like to mix up his coverages. But I'm not sure Kiffin will do anything special to stop Jackson, other than have the 27-year-old Carr follow Jackson around.

Read why at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...hadow-DeSean-Jackson.html#eoZEr4Psf3crmgp8.99

jblaze2004

Reaction score
carr or scandrick with safety help? but the big question should be what the heck are we going to do abut McCoy. RB types like him gives our defense fits.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Jackson has elite speed and is way faster than any of our corners down the field. Regardless of who he is matched up against, there should be a safety over the top every play.

If its me, I'm probably putting Carr on Cooper to lock him down, and then double teaming Jackson so that there really is no downfield threat in the passing game.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
You hit Jacksons once and he folds. But i think they have to be physical at the LOS. I agree tho with the real issue is going to be McCoy not the wrs. Add in Celek too

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
Scandrick should be given the chance to cover Jackson when in man to man until it is proven he cannot guard him, leave Carr on Riley Cooper if at all possible, all joking aside he is a big, physical wr and played well against us last year. But who knows, maybe Mo is turning the corner and can hang with him, results on the field will show that. We will continue to play a lot of zone though and make Foles beat us with throws, safeties have to focus on not giving up the big play.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
carr or scandrick with safety help? but the big question should be what the heck are we going to do abut McCoy. RB types like him gives our defense fits.

He gives every defense a fit. We have to get ahead early and control possession if you want to shut down McCoy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't like that matchup. Carr vs Jackson.

Put Carr on Cooper or Avant and put Claiborne & Scandrick on Jackson with help over the top. Problem solved.

The Natural

Reaction score
I dont think its necessary to have one guy shadow Jackson. Play fundamentally sound defense which involves the safety not giving up the deep ball they should be fine, especially if that makeshift defensive live is able to pressure Foles.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Jeff McLane, Inquirer Staff Writer
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013, 8:33 AM

DeSean Jackson spent most of Sunday's game against the Buccaneers running routes against one of the best cornerbacks in the game. The Eagles wide receiver did some damage against Darrelle Revis, but his biggest catch -- a 36-yard touchdown -- came when he lined up in the slot and went over the top of Tampa's zone defense.

Read why at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...hadow-DeSean-Jackson.html#eoZEr4Psf3crmgp8.99

That's just poor journalism.

2 catches and 6 yards =/= damage

dantheman41

Reaction score
Jackson has elite speed and is way faster than any of our corners down the field. Regardless of who he is matched up against, there should be a safety over the top every play.

If its me, I'm probably putting Carr on Cooper to lock him down, and then double teaming Jackson so that there really is no downfield threat in the passing game.

I completely agree with this! Excellent plan

Jenky

Reaction score
I'd still put Carr on Jackson with cover 2 man. I'd rather have every pass go to Cooper and Avant rather than Jackson. Jackson is a home run hitter and the others are not.

Either way, the real game breaker would be McCoy.

Dallyjake

Reaction score
I'd still put Carr on Jackson with cover 2 man. I'd rather have every pass go to Cooper and Avant rather than Jackson. Jackson is a home run hitter and the others are not.

Either way, the real game breaker would be McCoy.

I dont care who covers him as long as they play physical and hit him hard every touch. Jackson hasnt exactly lit the Cowboys up over the last few years. I remember him talking a lot of jazz and not backing it up. Cant stand the guy. Has to be my most hated player in the league. Just wish someone would clean his clock with a square hit.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm putting Carr on him. He's our best cornerback and he should be on their best receiver. There's a speed advantage to Desean here but pressing and playing Desean aggressive with a safety over the top should play into our hands I believe.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I'm putting Carr on him. He's our best cornerback and he should be on their best receiver. There's a speed advantage to Desean here but pressing and playing Desean aggressive with a safety over the top should play into our hands I believe.

Carr will not be able to cover Jackson in the slot, only Scandrick can follow him wherever he lines up. Carr is strictly a border corner.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Carr will not be able to cover Jackson in the slot, only Scandrick can follow him wherever he lines up. Carr is strictly a border corner.

Oh well if Desean is in the slot than yes Scandrick should be on him in the slot. Either way i've seen enough from Carr these past 2 years to trust him. Its rare he gets beat often wherever he's lined up. Only guy I can remember giving him trouble is Brandon Marshall.

iceman117

Reaction score

they do?? Jamal Charles is a similar back and we held him in check... I expect the same type of performance from the defense as they had in KC and when they played Washington/Rams at home. They really only played 6 bad quarters all year, the second half against SD and the entire Broncos game.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't like that matchup. Carr vs Jackson.

Put Carr on Cooper or Avant and put Claiborne & Scandrick on Jackson with help over the top. Problem solved.

I'm a bit owrried about that one too.
Jackson fits really well in this scheme and he does more yards than any other WR this year. I thought Revis would slow him down a lot last week, but it didn't happen.
Whoever covers him in man situations really needs deep help.

Love to see Church unload on him once early in th game :)