Photoshop help

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Is there anyone that can do some photoshopping of an image for me?

I'm trying to see what this wall would look like if I painted the fireplace. I'd like to see the brick matched the walls to the side (the grayish one, not the white), and the mantle black (The doors would also remain black).

Alternatively, I'd also like to see it with the brick and mantle being the same gray color.

Lis00su.jpg

Here's the actual color of the wall:

30df1a8bb8796ec1d624da2dc927cabf.png

Anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm trying to see what this wall would look like if I painted the fireplace. I'd like to see the brick matched the walls to the side (the grayish one, not the white), and the mantle black (The doors would also remain black).

Alternatively, I'd also like to see it with the brick and mantle being the same gray color.

Lis00su.jpg

Anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance.
I guess not.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
It's your fireplace, but I would NEVER paint brick. You can never completely undo that, not to mention you lose what brick brings to the room.

So while you may decide that is what you want. It might not be what a buyer wants when / if you are ready to sell. Painted brick fireplace negatively impacts a houses value.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
While this isn't exactly what it would look like as you can see a lot of the fireplace color. I did it this way so you could still see the fireplace detail.

Otherwise, it would have wiped it out. (I used a color picker off your swatch you supplied to get the exact color you selected.)

2nfIYj.jpg

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
btw, if you ever try to remove the paint from the fireplace. That's probably what it will end up looking like unless you spend a LARGE amount of money or a LARGE amount of your own time!

rofl.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Lis00su.jpg

Anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance.
If you can give me the raw image file, I can more than likely be able to help you out.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It's your fireplace, but I would NEVER paint brick. You can never completely undo that, not to mention you lose what brick brings to the room.

So while you may decide that is what you want. It might not be what a buyer wants when / if you are ready to sell. Painted brick fireplace negatively impacts a houses value.

Disagree on negative impact on the houses value. I don't think the brick brings anything to this particular room except for an eyesore - which could not be what a buyer wants.

While some buyers may prefer the brick look, I think most would prefer a room that looks good.

But, I don't really ever have any intention to sell, so it's no issue.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know you didn't ask my opinion, but give this a fair amount of consideration: Rather than paint the brick, add a more aesthetically pleasing, natural wood mantle. Red oak or cherry would look great, IMO.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I know you didn't ask my opinion, but give this a fair amount of consideration: Rather than paint the brick, add a more aesthetically pleasing, natural wood mantle. Red oak or cherry would look great, IMO.

Or stain the mantle.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I'd give it a more elegant shape, but that's just my taste.

It's the red of the brick I hate. I'd like to do more on the mantel and framing, but I would paint the brick either way (or cover it).

Last edited:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Paint the brick my dude and do whatever the hell you want. It’s your house. I love the look of painted brick.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
I think the only solution you have to make it look like it's part of the room is to paint it. I wouldn't distress it though since the rest of the room doesn't have that distressed look. I would definitely look into a good sealer so the paint doesn't just seep into the pours and take 5 coats.

Route 66

Reaction score
I did this exact same thing. I had brick that was about the same color. I had a 90s-style fireplace cover that was brass along with the brick. I painted the brick gray with a sand texture mixed in with the paint and applied that. It filled in all the imperfections and gave it a smooth, modern look with the sand texture. I then replaced the fireplace front with black and put up a black mantle. I now have a nice black and gray theme for it. I was concerned about it looking like garbage over time but it isn't remotely going to peel off and looks great.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's the red of the brick I hate. I'd like to do more on the mantel and framing, but I would paint the brick either way (or cover it).
I think the brick looks pretty nice. It's the mortar that needs to be whitened, buy as I said, that's just my taste.
If you really hate the brick, Quick's idea of covering it with stoneface is a great option. I'm with most of the people here, in that I think painted brick is a horrible look.
That said, if you really want to paint it, I'd probably go with an off white.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I am surprised so many hate the look of painted brick. A quick google search reveals countless that look great and that are extreme improvements of what was there before.