News: Picking Jaylon Smith: How The Cowboys Made The Controversial Decision

CCBoy

Reaction score
Picking Jaylon Smith: How The Cowboys Made The Controversial Decision

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...boys-made-decision-rolando-mcclain-myles-jack

The recent news that Dallas Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain has been suspended for ten games has added a renewed emphasis to the debate over the drafting of Jaylon Smith in the second round. Our own Danny Phantom has weighed in with his arguments about why it was a good decision, but he focuses more on the impact Smith will have when (knock on wood) that nerve regenerates and he can start practicing. What is not discussed as much is just how the Cowboys came to pick Smith. The truth is that he was not Plan A for Dallas. He was more Plan D - and the situation at the time he was taken was somewhat different than it is now. All that has to be considered before you decide whether the Cowboys made a mistake in taking a player who is not likely to have any impact on the team this year.

Dallas certainly had other ideas for their second-round pick, 34 overall. On the first day of the draft, they used it to put together a trade offer to move back into the first round. The target was the Seattle Seahawks pick at 26. The Cowboys saw an opportunity to get their quarterback of the future, and a possible candidate to supplant Kellen Moore as the primary backup this season, since Paxton Lynch was still on the board. It was an expensive move given the many other places that the team could use talent, but franchise quarterbacks, even unproven ones, are that valuable, as seen by the astronomical prices the Los Angeles Rams and the Philadelphia Eagles paid to trade up to the first two spots in the draft to take Jared Goff and Carson Wentz.

However, there was another suitor for the Seahawks’ pick, the Denver Broncos. They were in the unusual position of being a defending Super Bowl champion that had lost both their starting quarterback, the retired Peyton Manning, and his expected successor, Brock Osweiler, who had been stolen away in free agency by the Houston Texans. And they had the last pick in the first round to offer to the Seahawks as part of their package. That pick comes with the fifth year option for a first rounder, and according to reports, that swayed Seattle to take their deal instead of Dallas’, despite the fact that the Cowboys actually offered more value. Had the Broncos not let the Texans outbid them for Osweiler, they would not have been in the market and Dallas would have gotten Lynch. But they were, and the Cowboys were left to move onto Plan B.

According to reports from the draft, that alternate plan was to take a pass rusher. The Cowboys had time to set their strategy for day two of the draft, since they would be the third team on the clock once things recommenced. With only two teams ahead of them, they had a good chance to get a defensive end they liked. Or so they thought.

The first choice for Dallas was Emmanuel Ogbah. However, he was taken by the first team up that day, the Cleveland Browns. The Cowboys had prepared for this, with Kevin Dodd their Plan C. But the Tennessee Titans also coveted Dodd, taking him just ahead of the Cowboys...

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It's possible that in time we will have the top two players from this draft. It was worth the gamble. I'm almost sure.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
At the end of the day, Smith was probably around plan X or plan Y and that was the top option when Dallas picked. A gamble for sure, but I am probably more a fan of gambling on injured players that love football with a passion than ones that love football and banned substances equally.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
After the draft, listening to Talkin' Cowboys & Cowboys Break. They preferred Jaylon over Dodd.

An assumption on my part but I think they had Maliek Collins over Chris Jones. Spence had to be in the box - they didn't trust him after interviews, and Ragland of course was deemed a 2 down player - didn't have the pass coverage ability they look for in a linebacker.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the biggest mistake wasn't drafting Jaylon Smith, but re-signing McClain at all, while passing on a guy like James Laurinitis when the Rams released him. Rolling the dice once again on an idiot who doesn't want to play football and would rather smoke weed and waste his life and talents over signing a true team player who eats, sleeps, and breathes football.

That was their true mistake.

ghst187

Reaction score
It's possible that in time we will have the top two players from this draft. It was worth the gamble. I'm almost sure.

Disagree, we could've had Ragland or Jack who play and contribute immediately, instead we will wait and hope that Smith will even ever play again. Sure we get one of the top players in this draft but would you take a player just a few slots lower like Jack or Ragland if you could get a certain four solid years out of vs taking Smith that you will get a max of three, maybe zero? That's how I see it anyway, I would've taken Jack, rode him for four years and franchised him or let him walk depending on how the knee was doing.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I thought I read it would've only taken a 2 and 3 to get to 26? So we wouldn't have Collins (I like him) this year and Smith for next year vs securing your future franchise/back up QB on the roster. I would take that trade w/SEA. It's offseason...spilled milk talk.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
Im actually excited at the prospect of both Smith and Lee being on the field together. Im not saying if, im saying WHEN Jaylon is healthy hes going to be a terror with Lee there. This kid is an absolute stud, and is going to be great for us when hes all healed up. Not to mention the chip on his shoulder is probably the size of Texas, talent plus a reason to prove everyone wrong. Going to be very interesting.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Disagree, we could've had Ragland or Jack who play and contribute immediately, instead we will wait and hope that Smith will even ever play again. Sure we get one of the top players in this draft but would you take a player just a few slots lower like Jack or Ragland if you could get a certain four solid years out of vs taking Smith that you will get a max of three, maybe zero? That's how I see it anyway, I would've taken Jack, rode him for four years and franchised him or let him walk depending on how the knee was doing.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is nothing in that article that we didn't already know before they selected in the 3rd round. Anyone could have written that simply by watching the draft for the 45 minutes after they made the pick.

Was thinking the same thing as I was reading it. Nothing new at all.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now if they really wanted to make that story more about what we didn't know.
What teams and what were Dallas asking to move out of that pick. What were the scenarios. Don't just mention it, as at this point it is all conjecture.
Why make that pick in fear of NE was going to take him. That just seems to be a stupid reason to do that, on an injured player.

The pick still does not make sense, but it seems the media as well as many fans are ok with it. Now I hope he gets well, and gets well soon. Then we can all sit here and say they are lucky geniuses.
But if you can't trade the pick and have to make your selection. There were still many players there that would not have been considered a reach. Well some would sy it some wouldn't, depending if they picked who their pet cat was.

I am not as upset for some reason as I normally will be, or maybe I am just not surprised or am numb to it. LOL. Or I can actually see the down the road benefits from Smith too.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I like Broaddus but I don't it is gospel that NE wasn't going to take Smith in the 2nd. Trying to write a new article with your proof being "here is a tweet from Broaddus" is comical.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I like Broaddus but I don't it is gospel that NE wasn't going to take Smith in the 2nd. Trying to write a new article with your proof being "here is a tweet from Broaddus" is comical.

Pats picked 29th in the 2nd round. We picked 3rd. We could of traded down like 25 times. Plus Pats denied it. We blew it. You can't pick up of guy cause rumor has it somebody picking him 25 spots down.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score

Exactly. I remember when he said that during the draft show (after the 2nd day..or post-draft?). He was sitting there all salty as heck because Dallas didn't take Myles Jack, his consensus "best player" of the draft, and then when someone offered up the report that N.E. showed an interest, the former Dallas scout Wizard was smuggly like "Nah..nah...I know a guy in N.E., and it's not true at all". Hands crossed over his chest and all!! Broadus really was rectally-hurt by Dallas' pick of Smith. Why? Because the Great Broadus didn't see it coming.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Exactly. I remember when he said that during the draft show (after the 2nd day..or post-draft?). He was sitting there all salty as heck because Dallas didn't take Myles Jack, his consensus "best player" of the draft, and then when someone offered up the report that N.E. showed an interest, the former Dallas scout Wizard was smuggly like "Nah..nah...I know a guy in N.E., and it's not true at all". Hands crossed over his chest and all!! Broadus really was rectally-hurt by Dallas' pick of Smith. Why? Because the Great Broadus didn't see it coming.

I don't think Broaddus has a history of blatant fabrication like Ian Rappaport does. I tend to believe him on stuff like this. As @Vinnie2u already stated, New England was picking way down at the bottom of the 2nd round.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Patriots had 60 & 61. But Cowboys believed there were "teams" that would draft Jaylon in the 2nd, not specifically New England.

Whenever someone like Ian Rappaport puts a false rumor out about the Cowboys, the local media like Mike Fisher are on it like a dog on a bone. I don't believe there were any naysayers out of New England after his tweet.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
I don't think Broaddus has a history of blatant fabrication like Ian Rappaport does. I tend to believe him on stuff like this. As @Vinnie2u already stated, New England was picking way down at the bottom of the 2nd round.

I'm not 100% or even 50% in my belief that N.E. was going to move up for or stand pat late in the 2nd for J.Smith.

The point I was agreeing on with Kaiser is, I, personally don't believe Broaddus is as connected outside of Dallas as he likes to purport. I believe most of what he says is happening inside the Dallas organization, but outside of that, I don't think he's some super connected guy with the inside scoops.