News: Picking Jaylon Smith: How The Cowboys Made The Controversial Decision

silver

Reaction score
We keep drafting injured linebackers and druggies in the second round and less than ideal corners in the first and when all is said and done will probably fire the Defensive Coordinator for failing to field a decent defense. Lather, rinse and repeat.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pats picked 29th in the 2nd round. We picked 3rd. We could of traded down like 25 times. Plus Pats denied it. We blew it. You can't pick up of guy cause rumor has it somebody picking him 25 spots down.

Some other team could have drafted him before NE was on the clock. The Cowboys simply didn't want to take any risk. The bottom line, we wanted him despite the risk and trust the doc completely.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'm not 100% or even 50% in my belief that N.E. was going to move up for or stand pat late in the 2nd for J.Smith.

The point I was agreeing on with Kaiser is, I, personally don't believe Broaddus is as connected outside of Dallas as he likes to purport. I believe most of what he says is happening inside the Dallas organization, but outside of that, I don't think he's some super connected guy with the inside scoops.

Exactly. And like Speed said in the post above yours - if not the Pats then someone would have moved up. There is no question that Smith is a Top 5 talent when healthy, the issue (obviously) is his health. And the further into the 2nd round he fell, the more tempting it would be for someone to take him or trade up a bit.

I'm not really down on Broaddus but he seems to be saying Smith would have been available in the 3rd round. I think the chances of that were tiny and Dallas pulled the trigger at their pick without trying to get cute. If Smith comes back to full health, the move is a steal no matter what.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Some other team could have drafted him before NE was on the clock. The Cowboys simply didn't want to take any risk. The bottom line, we wanted him despite the risk and trust the doc completely.

We were typing at the same time. I should have saved myself the effort and just liked your post instead of writing mine.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don't think Broaddus has a history of blatant fabrication like Ian Rappaport does.

Again, I'm not down on Broaddus but if he worked for a national group like Rapport does he would be printing the player spin he was fed by agents or team spin he was fed by NFL front office guys. They all do it, if Broaddus had a bigger megaphone he would too.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd buy that NE had interest. It's the kind of risk I could see them take. I don't care much either way. It was still an unnecessary risk for us no matter who was interested.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think we're trying convince ourselves that someone else would have taken Smith in the second if we didn't. But we don't now that. That's just something we say to make us feel good.
I'm okay with the pick now. I've got to be. But I still don't like how we take these gambles when they rarely pan out.