Pittsburgh Maddox wants to be starter

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Veteran quarterback Tommy Maddox is as savvy as they come, a worldly 33-year-old who knows his place in the Steelers organization. You never would catch him saying, "I deserve my job back," or making a ruckus about second-year star Ben Roethlisberger's helmet-less motorcycle journeys.

But make no mistake, there is a fire that burns within the man who carried the Steelers to the 2002 postseason and who put up record-setting numbers a year later while the team slumped to 6-10.

Maddox found himself on the outside looking in last season after a Week 2 elbow injury opened the door for eventual Rookie of the Year Roethlisberger. But, don't count out the Shreveport, La., native. Not yet. He believes there is life left in his rangy right arm, which looked solid Tuesday during the opening of month-long voluntary workouts on the South Side. He also declared himself back to full health.

"Yeah, I want to play, and I don't think you ever accept being a backup" said Maddox, who is signed through 2007 and will count $1.35 million against the team's salary cap this season. "I know I can play in this league, and I'm excited about the next opportunity that I will have to play. But I'm not sitting around worrying about that. Things will happen and things will work out. I'm confident out there, and there will be a time and place where I get to go out and play again, whether it's here or there or who knows? I'm not going to sit around and worry about all of that. Things will work out for themselves."

Maddox, who could potentially become expendable if Charlie Batch elevates his play in training camp after suffering a season-ending knee injury last August, is not thinking about a trade. However, the Steelers have four quarterbacks in Roethlisberger, Maddox, Batch and Brian St. Pierre, and with teams like the Giants and Colts in need of a veteran backup, a deal is not out of the question.

"That's not my option," Maddox said of a potential trade. "I work as hard as I can, and do the things that I can do, and if they decide to do something, that's in their court, not mine."

In recent weeks, Maddox has heard the hubbub surrounding Roethlisberger riding his Harley without a helmet. The story sprouted legs after Cleveland Browns second-year tight end Kellen Winslow sustained injuries riding a racing bike that could end his 2005 season, if not his career.

Maddox, though, has not advised Roethlisberger on the dangers of biking without a helmet (something coach Bill Cowher did). He even downplayed Bike-gate.

"Everybody's had bikes for a long time, and one guy wrecks and everybody makes a huge deal out of it," said Maddox, who acknowledged he rides his five-year-old motorcycle with a helmet. "I have a bike. Everybody rides. One guy's doing tricks in the parking lot (Winslow) and all of a sudden it's a front-page story.

"You gotta live your life. Obviously, you gotta be smart. I try to be smart because I have a wife and two kids, not because I'm playing a game. I want to be there for my kids growing up and my wife, and you do understand there are consequences to your actions. That's not only on motorcycles, but that's how you have to live your life."

Even if Roethlisberger avoids injury on the roadways, there are no guarantees he'll make it through an entire season, as Maddox found out last year upon injuring his throwing elbow against the Baltimore Ravens.

"Over the last two years, there were (a combined nine) quarterbacks who started all 16 games," Maddox said. "So, that's why you have to prepare yourself. If you sit around and worry about what's going and not getting an opportunity, then, all of a sudden, you get an opportunity and you're not prepared. So, I just prepare myself like I'm going to take every snap and see what happens."

Asked how many years he has left to play, Maddox was quick with a response.

"I have a bunch," he said. "I'm 33 years old, and I feel good and I feel young. Guys are playing longer and longer, especially at this position. And as we've seen in the past, mid-30s is when guys playing this position start playing pretty good. I'm excited about the future."

Note: All of the Steelers veterans attended yesterday's workout...Two rookies missed. OL Trai Essex of Northwestern and FB Zach Tuiasosopo of Washington to complete classes.

Joe Bendel can be reached at joecbendel@aol.com or (412) 320-7811.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_335297.html

phildominator

Reaction score
Hmmm...33 years old, huh. Give him 2 more years and he'll be ripe enough for our team. Watch yo back, Bledsoe!