CFZ Pivotal Season for Cowboys and Dak Prescott

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Dak wont last 3 games before hes hurt and misses significant time due to this shabby left side of the line with a weak center as well. FIRST, Farniok was CLEARLY the better center in camp and during games. Secondly, Tyler Smith isnt even close to being a tackle in the NFL. Hes a guard that needs 1 year to adapt to the NFL level if hes gonna play LT. This aint Tulsa. Jerry is a magnanimous moron. We need 2 sign a Vet starter at LT. Tyler has a high ankle sprain as well.

Do you think that Dallas will use a 2 RB approach with both Zeke and Pollard in the backfield? Zeke is clearly the better blocking back in terms of pass blocking so in those passing situations you could have Zeke remain in the backfield to provide help for Dak while allowing Pollard to run pass catching routes. This of course limits Dallas to running either 2 WR's and 1 TE or 3 WR's but given the lack of WR depth it may not matter. Besides, on running downs you have 2 backs available to keep the defense guessing so to speak.

We all hope that Tyler Smith proves he can handle the starting LT spot while McGovern at LG and Biadasz at C hold their own....but risking injury to Dak with an unproven left side without adding help is a recipe for disaster.

NotForLong

Reaction score
There are many ways to spin the events of this offseason, each of which have been covered more than adequately right here in our community.

Did the Jones' do enough to acquire quality players / depth outside of the draft? No probably not, I don't think many (if any) would argue that. Their reasonings have been debated back and forth since the SF playoff game ended with many interesting suggestions raised. That debate, like many others, will never end...

Was Tyler Smith the right OL for this team? A reach on a project? A smart investment in a mauler to return glory to the run game?

Is Ceedee a true number 1 WR? Can he be?

Is the defense legit? Or were they too much feast and famine and unlikely to reproduce?

Can Diggs be a lockdown CB? Can Micah maintain his pace?

None of these questions are likely to be answered prior to September 11 kickoff, and even a few weeks after, but they'll all be secondary to one very interesting development. The question of Dak's ability to be a next level leader at QB will be answered, bit by bit, week by week for 18 weeks, live and in color!

In the past Dak has thrived when all his weapons are polished and ready to go, and when the artillery is well stocked - Great OL, Top flight RB, stable of WRs. Any time those things weren't in place his step back in production was noticeable. However, there were always other factors as well - the ankle, the shoulder, the calf - well now, six years later, fully healthy for the whole offseason, for the first time ever, those other factors don't exist.

Can Dak put this team on his back and deliver results? Can he do more with less as we have seen truly elite QBs do? Love him or hate him, all Cowboys' fans should be hoping the answer to these questions is yes unequivocally. But one thing is for sure, they will be no longer up for debate by the time the dust settles on the 2022 NFL season.
Yes. . . we shall see . . . Sink or Swim Dakota. . . gonma be an interesting season.

#NoExcuses

Rayman70

Reaction score
Do you think that Dallas will use a 2 RB approach with both Zeke and Pollard in the backfield? Zeke is clearly the better blocking back in terms of pass blocking so in those passing situations you could have Zeke remain in the backfield to provide help for Dak while allowing Pollard to run pass catching routes. This of course limits Dallas to running either 2 WR's and 1 TE or 3 WR's but given the lack of WR depth it may not matter. Besides, on running downs you have 2 backs available to keep the defense guessing so to speak.

We all hope that Tyler Smith proves he can handle the starting LT spot while McGovern at LG and Biadasz at C hold their own....but risking injury to Dak with an unproven left side without adding help is a recipe for disaster.
At times yes they will use that approach. As you eluded to, how effective can they and Dak be given the fact Tyler has never started an NFL game that counts? Let alone at LT...Like you said, its a recipe for disaster. I just don't understand the unwillingness 2 get Dak some help at LT, if only for 1 year, a stop gap vet like Peters makes sense. I feel MM is being thrown under the bus and hamstrung by design.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
At times yes they will use that approach. As you eluded to, how effective can they and Dak be given the fact Tyler has never started an NFL game that counts? Let alone at LT...Like you said, its a recipe for disaster. I just don't understand the unwillingness 2 get Dak some help at LT, if only for 1 year, a stop gap vet like Peters makes sense. I feel MM is being thrown under the bus and hamstrung by design.

I think at one time or another we have all questioned Jerry & Co.'s sanity in how they run this team but if they do not add help to the O-Line and protect their 4-year/$160M investment in Dak then unfortunately all we are left to think is that they are willing to risk Dak so as to possibly let MM go in their blind ambition to go after Sean Payton. While that is bordering on conspiracy theories, what else are we to think?

fivetwos

Reaction score
×××
Amen brother. Philbin has not been my favourite, and I'll admit to wanting him gone. But he is still here and his task is nearly monumental. But along with Kellen they have to build an offense that can succeed with this OL. Hope they get it right. I am hoping for plenty 2 TE looks. OJ Howard available...jussayin lol
One of the few times I'm gonna be fine with "we like our guys," is right now at TE.

I dont want to flush Hendershot to pick up Howard.

I'm happy they saw it fit to not release him. He would have been gone.

Ferguson looks solid but doesn't seem to have the upside of Hendershot. Guess we are gonna find out.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think at one time or another we have all questioned Jerry & Co.'s sanity in how they run this team but if they do not add help to the O-Line and protect their 4-year/$160M investment in Dak then unfortunately all we are left to think is that they are willing to risk Dak so as to possibly let MM go in their blind ambition to go after Sean Payton. While that is bordering on conspiracy theories, what else are we to think?
as they say, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like a duck, ITS A DUCK. MM is being undermined by design until we see otherwise.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Yes. . . we shall see . . . Sink or Swim Dakota. . . gonma be an interesting season.

#NoExcuses

year 26, same GM/Owner...#NoExcuses is a little late to the party......if they lose and move on from the HC/QB all the above, where would your confidence level be with the new crop the same GM/Owner brings in?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
as they say, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like a duck, ITS A DUCK. MM is being undermined by design until we see otherwise.

...and unfortunately so are we as fans if this is their plan.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Facts are the GM/Owner has walked on every HC back since he got mad about how he had success...its actually alarming how much he is willing to cut off his nose to spite his face.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think the key to this entire season is in the hands of Joe Philbin and the OLine . As they go so goes the offense . Not worried about the defense but when you look at SB winners they take the field and they SCORE POINTS . Into the 30’s lately .

DQ and his crew can ball hawk recover fumbles give the O field position but then you got to punch it in .
agree spot on, expectations dak can overcome the OL , Philbin and MOORE are the real questions and unfair really. sure would luv to see it.. fan forget many time when we were missing these allegedly great stocked stars, it wasnt ONE, it was say during zekes suspension was also Tyrone77, and other injuries along the OL then no run game and Chaz green and knight or whomever were the replacement., LMAO daks supposed to function in that atmosphere LOL did they watch those games..it wasnt one star missing it was more then one at the same time and the replacement were BAD.

Bermystar12

Reaction score
×××

One of the few times I'm gonna be fine with "we like our guys," is right now at TE.

I dont want to flush Hendershot to pick up Howard.

I'm happy they saw it fit to not release him. He would have been gone.

Ferguson looks solid but doesn't seem to have the upside of Hendershot. Guess we are gonna find out.
Yeah, true talk I am happy with our TEs too.

jsb357

Reaction score
Things don't pivot in Dallas.

Players change, results about the same.
Coaches change, results about the same.
Stadium change, results about the same.

NotForLong

Reaction score
year 26, same GM/Owner...#NoExcuses is a little late to the party......if they lose and move on from the HC/QB all the above, where would your confidence level be with the new crop the same GM/Owner brings in?
We can cross that bridge when it comes . . . This thread is about this season and Da k

Honestly I don't expect Jerry to last much longer . . . and i evpect Stephen shrinking to the background when His old Man dies

The Media and Fans will tear Him apart if He doesn't

NotForLong

Reaction score
agree spot on, expectations dak can overcome the OL , Philbin and MOORE are the real questions and unfair really. sure would luv to see it.. fan forget many time when we were missing these allegedly great stocked stars, it wasnt ONE, it was say during zekes suspension was also Tyrone77, and other injuries along the OL then no run game and Chaz green and knight or whomever were the replacement., LMAO daks supposed to function in that atmosphere LOL did they watch those games..it wasnt one star missing it was more then one at the same time and the replacement were BAD.
#NoExcuses

NotForLong

Reaction score
#NoExcuses

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We can cross that bridge when it comes . . . This thread is about this season and Da k

Honestly I don't expect Jerry to last much longer . . . and i evpect Stephen shrinking to the background when His old Man dies

The Media and Fans will tear Him apart if He doesn't

Ooh I dont think your in any danger of not seeing a Jones as the GM of this franchise anytime soon....They dont seem to mind the media or the fans the last 26 years...Again if they dont win we can move on to year 27 and 28 and 29 and so on and so on..you have had plenty of QB's come and go and will have plenty more you can pin this on...but until they change the only common thing of the past 26 years there will be an excuse..you dont have to like it, but its already there.